converting 1" quill to 1 1/8" threadless?

uncle_todd

Jun 30, 2004
Hey, I was just wondering if it's possible to modify some older Vision Tech TriMax Plus bars with a 1" quill stem to fit my 1 1/8" threadless Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero forks? Am I asking for trouble? Thanks.

do you wanna keep the bars and the quill stem, or do you just wanna use the bars?

do you know the exact diameter of the part of the bars where the stem clamps to?

If the bars are 26.0mm, there are plenty of threadless stems you could use.

531Aussie said:
do you know the exact diameter of the part of the bars where the stem clamps to?

If the bars are 26.0mm, there are plenty of threadless stems you could use.

Actually the TriMax Plus is an integrated bar/stem combo. I can't describe it in detail because I don't have one on hand, and I'm not familiar with a quill stem at all. I posted the question because I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing one (cheap!) and trying to convert it to 1 1/8" threadless?

uncle_todd said:
Actually the TriMax Plus is an integrated bar/stem combo. I can't describe it in detail because I don't have one on hand, and I'm not familiar with a quill stem at all. I posted the question because I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing one (cheap!) and trying to convert it to 1 1/8" threadless?

oh....no, don't do that -- you should be able to get some affordable bars and a threadless stem that will suit.

Are you sure the bars are integrated with the quill stem?

old (quill) stems are the one-piece "goose neck" thingies that attach to the inside of a fork steerer. Threadless stems (new style) clamp to the outside of the fork steerer. You need a threadless stem and bars to match. Just about every new stem on the market will fit your 1"1/8 steerer, and the bar diameter will either be 26.0mm (most common), or 31.8 (slightly less common and usually more expensive).

531Aussie said:
oh....no, don't do that -- you should be able to get some affordable bars and a threadless stem that will suit.

Are you sure the bars are integrated with the quill stem?

old (quill) stems are the one-piece "goose neck" thingies that attach to the inside of a fork steerer. Threadless stems (new style) clamp to the outside of the fork steerer. You need a threadless stem and bars to match. Just about every new stem on the market will fit your 1"1/8 steerer, and the bar diameter will either be 26.0mm (most common), or 31.8 (slightly less common and usually more expensive).

Yep, they're aerobars with an integrated stem, and the quill thingy protrudes out from the stem. I've never inspected one up close so I don't know how it's assembled and whether or not I could even remove the quill. I agree with Conniebiker though; I like to tinker, and complicated or not, it'll be fun trying. It's actually not a $ issue at all. The deal is that Vision Tech moved all of their manufacturing overseas (China or Taiwan I think) during the last couple of years and I want one of their original bars made in the good old US of A. G'day!