converting 105 braze to clamp?

pakejotter

Sep 17, 2009
I am in the middle of building up a commuter bike with a Jake the Snake frame and 105 components and I have run into trouble with the front derailleur. Is it possible to convert a braze on 105 to a clamp on? are they essentially the same with a different mount? can the mount be purchased separately.
Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers Jake

pakejotter said:
I am in the middle of building up a commuter bike with a Jake the Snake frame and 105 components and I have run into trouble with the front derailleur. Is it possible to convert a braze on 105 to a clamp on? are they essentially the same with a different mount? can the mount be purchased separately.
Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers Jake
Yes, the FRONT derailleurs with the SAME model designation (e.g., 5500) are the same except for the mount ...

The adapters are available to mount a braze-on front derailleur on a frame which does not have a braze-on mount ... the only think you need to know is the OD (outer diameter) size of the seat tube.

The price on the clamp varies greatly ... $5-to-$50+ ... the inexpensive ones work as well as the one fabricated from carbon fiber.

Cheers for that. Does anyone know any online shops in Aus that would stock them? I am having trouble finding one.