Converting 7-speed hub to 9-speed?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Boyd Speerschne, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Hello, Another question about my Shimano Exage 7-speed hub. Can I convert it to 9-speed simply by
    switching out the cassette body? Or is the hub body too wide? Thanks in advance,
    - Boyd S.

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, Another question about my Shimano Exage 7-speed hub. Can I convert it to 9-speed simply by
    > switching out the cassette body? Or is the hub body too wide? Thanks in advance,
    > - Boyd S.

    You may need a longer axle depending on whether you have 130mm or 126mm spacing. Peter can tell you
    exactly how much axle you need sticking out of the dropouts, but IIRC, its about 5mm per side.

    Next?

    Mike

  3. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello, Another question about my Shimano Exage 7-speed hub. Can I convert it to 9-speed simply
    > > by switching out the cassette body? Or is the hub body too wide? Thanks in advance,
    > > - Boyd S.
    >
    > You may need a longer axle depending on whether you have 130mm or 126mm spacing. Peter can tell
    > you exactly how much axle you need sticking out of the dropouts, but IIRC, its about 5mm per side.

    Its been a while since I had 7 speed, but ITYF that 9 speeds cassettes are about 3mm wider than 7sp,
    so cannot be fitted onto 7sp hubs,though the reverse can be done, if a spacer is put behind the
    cassette. Alan.

    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > > > Hello, Another question about my Shimano Exage 7-speed hub. Can I convert it to 9-speed simply
    > > > by switching out the cassette body? Or is the hub body too wide? Thanks in advance,
    > > > - Boyd S.
    > >
    > > You may need a longer axle depending on whether you have 130mm or 126mm spacing. Peter can tell
    > > you exactly how much axle you need sticking out
    of
    > > the dropouts, but IIRC, its about 5mm per side.
    >
    > Its been a while since I had 7 speed, but ITYF that 9 speeds cassettes are about 3mm wider than
    > 7sp, so cannot be fitted onto 7sp hubs,though the reverse can be done, if a spacer is put behind
    > the cassette. Alan.

    I have a friend that just added a 9sp hub body to an older 6/7sp 600 hub with no problems. I don't
    think that the 3mm is going to make it not fit, just that you'll have to jigger the spacers/axle
    around to get things centered.

    Mike