converting a headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris Mayhew, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    my team sponsor is offering a very nice deal on a very nice TT bike. it has an integrated HS,
    which i assume is 1 1/8". the TT bike i currently have is a 1" threaded, and i am very attached
    to the aerobars on that bike. i'm not completely up to date on the integrated HS. do they come
    only in 1 1/8"? (i was under the impression they also came in 1") would it then be possible to
    use a 1" threadless fork with an expander wedge stem? (seems the issue would be steerer wall
    thickness. i'd use a steel steerer) are there any other option that i'm missing here? i'd very
    much appreciate input specifically from mark (of habenro) peter (of vecchio's) or sheldon (of
    harris) thanks so much.

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "chris mayhew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > my team sponsor is offering a very nice deal on a very nice TT bike. it has an integrated HS,
    > which i assume is 1 1/8". the TT bike i currently have is a 1" threaded, and i am very attached
    > to the aerobars on that bike. i'm not completely up to date on the integrated HS. do they come
    > only in 1 1/8"? (i was under the impression they also came in 1") would it then be possible to
    > use a 1" threadless fork with an expander wedge stem? (seems the issue would be steerer wall
    > thickness. i'd use a steel steerer) are there any other option that i'm missing here? i'd very
    > much appreciate input specifically from mark (of habenro) peter (of vecchio's) or sheldon (of
    > harris) thanks so much.

    What's wrong with pulling the bars off the stem and re-using them with your new setup?

    Mike

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "chris mayhew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > my team sponsor is offering a very nice deal on a very nice TT bike. it has an integrated HS,
    > which i assume is 1 1/8". the TT bike i currently have is a 1" threaded, and i am very attached
    > to the aerobars on that bike. i'm not completely up to date on the integrated HS. do they come
    > only in 1 1/8"? (i was under the impression they also came in 1") would it then be possible to
    > use a 1" threadless fork with an expander wedge stem? (seems the issue would be steerer wall
    > thickness. i'd use a steel steerer) are there any other option that i'm missing here? i'd very
    > much appreciate input specifically from mark (of habenro) peter (of vecchio's) or sheldon (of
    > harris) thanks so much.

    There are aluminum liners that allow use of a one inch headset/fork in an
    O/S frame. Under $20. Possibly a challenge if your frame is a "hiddenset" but doable.

  4. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > There are aluminum liners that allow use of a one inch headset/fork in an
    > O/S frame. Under $20. Possibly a challenge if your frame is a "hiddenset" but doable.

    interesting. are these to convert only to threadless? that is, if they simply step down the
    headtube, what's to stop a threaded 1" from going in? thanks.

  5. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    [email protected] (chris mayhew) wrote:

    > my team sponsor is offering a very nice deal on a very nice TT bike. it has an integrated HS,
    > which i assume is 1 1/8". the TT bike i currently have is a 1" threaded, and i am very attached to
    > the aerobars on that bike. i'm not completely up to date on the integrated HS. do they come only
    > in 1 1/8"? (i was under the impression they also came in 1") would it then be possible to use a 1"
    > threadless fork with an expander wedge stem?

    You can sleeve down a frame to accomodate any headset of smaller cup size, per Mr. Muzi's
    suggestion.

    If you wish to use a quill stem on a threadless steerer, you'll need 2 things:

    1) A clamp collar, which will stand in for the threadless stem-- you can use a BMX seat post clamp
    or a generic shaft clamp available industrially.
    http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&item=474054

    2) A drawbolt to pretension your headset. This will be removed once the clamp is tightened. You can
    improvise your own with all-thread, nuts, and washers, or you can use a purpose-made unit.
    http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&item=309003

    Then you'll be able to stab that quill stem right in, as long as your (steel)steerer's wall
    thickness is the same as that of a threaded fork.

    What I want to know is why you wish to keep the quill stem? Is it integral to your aero bars
    or something? If you can simply swap to a threadless stem and use the same bars, I'd suggest
    you do that.

    Chalo Colina

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > There are aluminum liners that allow use of a one inch headset/fork in
    an
    > > O/S frame. Under $20. Possibly a challenge if your frame is a "hiddenset" but doable.

    "chris mayhew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > interesting. are these to convert only to threadless? that is, if they simply step down the
    > headtube, what's to stop a threaded 1" from going in?

    Your guess is correct. Once you mount the cups any appropriate diameter fork can be fitted.