converting a headset

Chris Mayhew

Guest
my team sponsor is offering a very nice deal on a very nice TT bike. it has an integrated HS,
which i assume is 1 1/8". the TT bike i currently have is a 1" threaded, and i am very attached
to the aerobars on that bike. i'm not completely up to date on the integrated HS. do they come
only in 1 1/8"? (i was under the impression they also came in 1") would it then be possible to
use a 1" threadless fork with an expander wedge stem? (seems the issue would be steerer wall
thickness. i'd use a steel steerer) are there any other option that i'm missing here? i'd very
much appreciate input specifically from mark (of habenro) peter (of vecchio's) or sheldon (of
harris) thanks so much.

"chris mayhew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> my team sponsor is offering a very nice deal on a very nice TT bike. it has an integrated HS,
> which i assume is 1 1/8". the TT bike i currently have is a 1" threaded, and i am very attached
> to the aerobars on that bike. i'm not completely up to date on the integrated HS. do they come
> only in 1 1/8"? (i was under the impression they also came in 1") would it then be possible to
> use a 1" threadless fork with an expander wedge stem? (seems the issue would be steerer wall
> thickness. i'd use a steel steerer) are there any other option that i'm missing here? i'd very
> much appreciate input specifically from mark (of habenro) peter (of vecchio's) or sheldon (of
> harris) thanks so much.

What's wrong with pulling the bars off the stem and re-using them with your new setup?

Mike

"chris mayhew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> my team sponsor is offering a very nice deal on a very nice TT bike. it has an integrated HS,
> which i assume is 1 1/8". the TT bike i currently have is a 1" threaded, and i am very attached
> to the aerobars on that bike. i'm not completely up to date on the integrated HS. do they come
> only in 1 1/8"? (i was under the impression they also came in 1") would it then be possible to
> use a 1" threadless fork with an expander wedge stem? (seems the issue would be steerer wall
> thickness. i'd use a steel steerer) are there any other option that i'm missing here? i'd very
> much appreciate input specifically from mark (of habenro) peter (of vecchio's) or sheldon (of
> harris) thanks so much.

There are aluminum liners that allow use of a one inch headset/fork in an
O/S frame. Under $20. Possibly a challenge if your frame is a "hiddenset" but doable.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> There are aluminum liners that allow use of a one inch headset/fork in an
> O/S frame. Under $20. Possibly a challenge if your frame is a "hiddenset" but doable.

interesting. are these to convert only to threadless? that is, if they simply step down the
headtube, what's to stop a threaded 1" from going in? thanks.

[email protected] (chris mayhew) wrote:

> my team sponsor is offering a very nice deal on a very nice TT bike. it has an integrated HS,
> which i assume is 1 1/8". the TT bike i currently have is a 1" threaded, and i am very attached to
> the aerobars on that bike. i'm not completely up to date on the integrated HS. do they come only
> in 1 1/8"? (i was under the impression they also came in 1") would it then be possible to use a 1"
> threadless fork with an expander wedge stem?

You can sleeve down a frame to accomodate any headset of smaller cup size, per Mr. Muzi's
suggestion.

If you wish to use a quill stem on a threadless steerer, you'll need 2 things:

1) A clamp collar, which will stand in for the threadless stem-- you can use a BMX seat post clamp
or a generic shaft clamp available industrially.
http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&item=474054

2) A drawbolt to pretension your headset. This will be removed once the clamp is tightened. You can
improvise your own with all-thread, nuts, and washers, or you can use a purpose-made unit.
http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&item=309003

Then you'll be able to stab that quill stem right in, as long as your (steel)steerer's wall
thickness is the same as that of a threaded fork.

What I want to know is why you wish to keep the quill stem? Is it integral to your aero bars
or something? If you can simply swap to a threadless stem and use the same bars, I'd suggest
you do that.

Chalo Colina

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > There are aluminum liners that allow use of a one inch headset/fork in
an
> > O/S frame. Under $20. Possibly a challenge if your frame is a "hiddenset" but doable.

"chris mayhew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> interesting. are these to convert only to threadless? that is, if they simply step down the
> headtube, what's to stop a threaded 1" from going in?

Your guess is correct. Once you mount the cups any appropriate diameter fork can be fitted.