converting a road bike to a hybrid?

rosborn

Aug 26, 2004
Hello,

I have a 2004 Giant OCR3 road bike and I am thinking about converting it to a hybrid. I looked at the Giant website and it looks like the Giant OCR3 (raod bike) and the FCR3 (hybrid) share many of the same components. The road bike has a greater spoke ratio but other than that they are essentially the same bike. So, I'm thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to convert my road bike to a hybrid - new handle bars and new gear shift and new brake handle components.

Am I correct in this assumption? Has anyone else here converted their road bike to a hybrid? If so, how difficult was it and how should I go about doing it?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

The frame geometries should be different. Typically, hybrids utilize a geometry which allows the rider to be in a more "relaxed" position (i.e. sitting more straight up, less hunched over).

One easy fix would be to just put on larger width tires (You could go with 25mm, or I believe you can go as high as 28mm). As for changing the shifters and brakes for the straight handlebars, I can't lend any advice there.

Just curious, why do you want to change your ocr3 into a hybrid?

crb189 said:
Just curious, why do you want to change your ocr3 into a hybrid?
I don't care for being so bent over when I ride. I love the bike. I just would rather have a more upright position and straight handle bars.

crb189 said:
The frame geometries should be different. Typically, hybrids utilize a geometry which allows the rider to be in a more "relaxed" position (i.e. sitting more straight up, less hunched over).
I took a closer look at the frame geometry for the Giant bikes and the frame is exactly the same for the OCR3 and the FCR3.

rosborn said:
I took a closer look at the frame geometry for the Giant bikes and the frame is exactly the same for the OCR3 and the FCR3.
You can get an adjustable stem and either riser bars or those more swept-back handlebars you see on cruisers. Probably can get both the stem and bars as a set. Hybrids generally have a shorter top tube and a shallower seat angle(you are more over the back wheel) for that upright ride.

bbattle said:
You can get an adjustable stem and either riser bars or those more swept-back handlebars you see on cruisers. Probably can get both the stem and bars as a set. Hybrids generally have a shorter top tube and a shallower seat angle(you are more over the back wheel) for that upright ride.
http://www.giant-bicycle.com/images/_upload_us/bikes/models/zooms/2005/OCR-3-red-lower-stem.jpg

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/images/_upload_us/bikes/models/zooms/2005/FCR-3-green.jpg

The frames look identical.

rosborn said:
Hello,

I have a 2004 Giant OCR3 road bike and I am thinking about converting it to a hybrid. I looked at the Giant website and it looks like the Giant OCR3 (raod bike) and the FCR3 (hybrid) share many of the same components. The road bike has a greater spoke ratio but other than that they are essentially the same bike. So, I'm thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to convert my road bike to a hybrid - new handle bars and new gear shift and new brake handle components.

Am I correct in this assumption? Has anyone else here converted their road bike to a hybrid? If so, how difficult was it and how should I go about doing it?

Thanks for your help.

Rob
It's possible. Me and huhenio did it, except we did it the other way round - hybrids to roadbikes. Visit 'Bike changes that won't break me!' then follow the other link I posted there. I couldn't be arsed typing it all out again. It's towards the bottom of the page. Hope it helps, in a backwards sort of way!

Bill.

Just buy:
Stem, 25.4mm, (try 100mm)
Flat bars, 560-580mm
Flat bar shifters Shimano Sl-R440-8 (8 speed triple)
Flat bar brake levers, BL-R440
or combo shifter/lever set ST-R220/ST-R224 (8 speed)
and it should all work. See pages 147-8 of the 05 Shimano Bible

The 06 Giant Flat Bar bike is longer in wheel base, chainstay and top tube and has a longer front fork than the 05 model. see: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10017 click on "geometry".

gclark8 said:
Just buy:
Stem, 25.4mm, (try 100mm)
Flat bars, 560-580mm
Flat bar shifters Shimano Sl-R440-8 (8 speed triple)
Flat bar brake levers, BL-R440
or combo shifter/lever set ST-R220/ST-R224 (8 speed)
and it should all work. See pages 147-8 of the 05 Shimano Bible
How much do you think something like this would/could cost?

Thanks for the info.

Rob

shannons dad said:
It's possible. Me and huhenio did it, except we did it the other way round - hybrids to roadbikes. Visit 'Bike changes that won't break me!' then follow the other link I posted there. I couldn't be arsed typing it all out again. It's towards the bottom of the page. Hope it helps, in a backwards sort of way!

Bill.
Thanks! It did help and prompted me to call the bike shop I bought my bike from. They said they could do it for $160. I'm wondering if I can do it cheaper.

Rob

Rob, thanks for the feedback.
The book is issued to all LBS. You can quote the page numbers to them. The price you quote is ok considering labour and warranty, they will make sure it works ok too. We had many in Aus doing this conversion on Giant TCRs before they brought out the CRX flat bar range over here, particularly for the over 45 rider.