Converting a road bike to Tri bike

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Curt, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. Curt

    Curt Guest

    I am sure this has been covered, but if anyone has a link or any input on this I thank you. I am
    looking to put some tri bars on my road bike and not sure where to start. I have ergo shifters
    (campy) on the brake levers and don't know what route to go. I can't afford another bike and I am
    not sure I will like tri's yet since I have just been training and starting out. Is there a good
    clip on tri type bar to put on that is any good?

    Should I look for a whole set of bars with levers used that would be compatible with my c-record
    group or is that too much? I don't want to go too crazy, but looking for a better position on my
    bike for a tri.

    Thanks, Curt

    Tags:

  2. rroof

    rroof New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2003
    Best bet for you would be a set of "clip on" aerobars. They simply attach to your current "downturn" road bars. You still brake and shift with your Campy the way you always did. Many people like the Syntace bars, but I like Profile Designs many options. There are usually many on ebay that are about new, or slightly used that I would get as they really don't wear (except the pads) and should be fine used for under $75.

    Tips: get a bike fit after trying this as many things will change. You will likely need to do 2 these to your road bike (assuming many things here, especially that you are currently comfy and fit well). #1 Move your seat as far forward on the rails that you can. #2 May need a shorter stem (i.e. switch from 120mm to 100mm).

    The one piece aerobars are very nice (I ride a CarbonX), but they are costly and you have to get new brakes, shifters, etc. Does not sound like the way to go for you.

  3. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Thank you for the response. I will keep my eyes our for the bars on ebay. Great idea! Curt

    "rroof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Curt wrote:
    > > I am sure this has been covered, but if anyone has a link or any input on this I thank you. I
    > > am looking to put some tri bars on my road bike and not sure where to start. I have ergo
    > > shifters (campy) on the brake levers and don't know what route to go. I can't afford another
    > > bike and I am not sure I will like tri's yet since I have just been training and starting out.
    > > Is there a good clip on tri type bar to put on that is any good? Should I look for a whole set
    > > of bars with levers used that would be compatible with my c-record group or is that too much?
    > > I don't want to go too crazy, but looking for a better position on my bike for a tri. Thanks,
    > > Curt
    >

    > Best bet for you would be a set of "clip on" aerobars. They simply attach to your current
    > "downturn" road bars. You still brake and shift with your Campy the way you always did. Many
    > people like the Syntace bars, but I like Profile Designs many options. There are usually many on
    > ebay that are about new, or slightly used that I would get as they really don't wear (except the
    > pads) and should be fine used for under $75.
    >
    > Tips: get a bike fit after trying this as many things will change. You will likely need to do 2
    > these to your road bike (assuming many things here, especially that you are currently comfy and
    > fit well). #1 Move your seat as far forward on the rails that you can. #2 May need a shorter stem
    > (i.e. switch from 120mm to 100mm).
    >
    > The one piece aerobars are very nice (I ride a CarbonX), but they are costly and you have to get
    > new brakes, shifters, etc. Does not sound like the way to go for you.
    >

    > --

  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    > Best bet for you would be a set of "clip on" aerobars. They simply attach to your current
    > "downturn" road bars. You still brake and shift with your Campy the way you always did. Many
    > people like the Syntace bars, but I like Profile Designs many options. There are usually many on
    > ebay that are about new, or slightly used that I would get as they really don't wear (except the
    > pads) and should be fine used for under $75.
    >
    > Tips: get a bike fit after trying this as many things will change. You will likely need to do 2
    > these to your road bike (assuming many things here, especially that you are currently comfy and
    > fit well). #1 Move your seat as far forward on the rails that you can. #2 May need a shorter stem
    > (i.e. switch from 120mm to 100mm).

    To add to the above points which I fully agree with..... I have a Giant TCR set up for road and
    triathlons with a Profile Design Century clip on aerobar. My greatest regret was not getting an
    aerobar that is length adjustable - watch ebay for a Profile Century bar coming soon! Adjustable
    aerobars give you the flexibility to set up your aerobar (length, width, pad position) WITHOUT
    having to have a shorter stem and possibly ruin your road position. I find the Century bar a wee bit
    too long for my road bike.

    DEFINITELY get fitted for the changes but think carefully about how you want to use the bike. I do
    a mix of road and triathlon/TT so the setup reflects this - I don't want a pure TT bike (yet!)!
    That is where adjustable tri bars can let you tweak your aerobar position without ruining your
    road position.

    Good luck!

  5. Curt

    Curt Guest

    > To add to the above points which I fully agree with..... I have a Giant TCR set up for road and
    > triathlons with a Profile Design Century clip on aerobar. My greatest regret was not getting an
    > aerobar that is length adjustable - watch ebay for a Profile Century bar coming soon! Adjustable
    > aerobars give you the flexibility to set up your aerobar (length, width, pad position) WITHOUT
    > having to have a shorter stem and possibly ruin your road position. I find the Century bar a wee
    > bit too long for my road bike.
    >
    > DEFINITELY get fitted for the changes but think carefully about how you want to use the bike. I do
    > a mix of road and triathlon/TT so the setup reflects this - I don't want a pure TT bike (yet!)!
    > That is where adjustable tri bars can let you tweak your aerobar position without ruining your
    > road position.
    >
    > Good luck!

    Hmmm, adjustable length. I will keep my eyes open for them. I am 6'2" which isn't a very good size
    for a cyclist or a tri participant for that matter, but I want to be comfortable and in good
    position to do the best I can.

    If anyone has brand names that are light and fully adjustable that would be good. Profile seems to
    be popular and you mention Profile Century which is length adjustable. Are there others?

    Curt

  6. Hey, no heightism here, I'm 6'2" as well and I'm often not the tallest at events even if I am one of
    the taller in the club. I'd agree, until you can crank out reasonable10-mile TT in sub 25-mins a
    full blown time trial bike will be of little advantage.

    I have a pair of these on one bike,
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=6126&Store=Bike people told me I'd these would
    be better becuase the armrests are spring loaded and flip up out of the way and you can still use
    the bars. I actually prefer the shorter Jammer bars which I have on another bike. http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?langId=-
    1&catalogId=40000008000&storeId=8000&partNumber=702645&memberId=-2000&link=1

    Both are adjustable for length... One of the simplest things you can do, especially if you have
    broad shoulders, is sit on a turbo trainer in front of a mirro, work on you position to get as
    tucked in as much as possible and narrow your shoulders by keeping the arm rests as narrow as is
    comfortable...

    ++Mark.

  7. Curt

    Curt Guest

    "Mark Cathcart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey, no heightism here, I'm 6'2" as well and I'm often not the tallest at events even if I am one
    > of the taller in the club. I'd agree, until you
    can
    > crank out reasonable10-mile TT in sub 25-mins a full blown time trial bike will be of little
    > advantage.
    >
    > I have a pair of these on one bike,
    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=6126&Store=Bike people told me I'd these would
    > be better becuase the armrests are spring loaded
    and
    > flip up out of the way and you can still use the bars. I actually prefer
    the
    > shorter Jammer bars which I have on another bike.

    http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?langId=-
    1&catalogId=40000008000&storeId=8000&partNumber=702645&memberId=-2000&link=1

    > Both are adjustable for length... One of the simplest things you can do, especially if you have
    > broad shoulders, is sit on a turbo trainer in front of a mirro, work on you position to get as
    > tucked in as much as possible
    and
    > narrow your shoulders by keeping the arm rests as narrow as is comfortable...
    >
    > ++Mark.

    Thanks Mark for your help. I will look into them both.

    Curt

  8. Imken

    Imken Guest

    I set up my bike with a complete tri bar package. 130 mm stem, cowhorn bars, dia comp brake, syntace
    C2 bars with bar end shifters. I also have a complete road bar set up so that all I have to do is
    switch them out. Takes about 1/2 hour if you are familiar with adjusting your derailleur cables.
    Cables are a part of the set-up in each case.

    I have competed in Triathlons on a Sat, TT Sunday morning and Road Race about noon on the same week-
    end day simply by shifting the entire set-up. It is too much of a hassle to ship two bikes when
    traveling to race as well as being a bit costly.

    Ken @ Kauai

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
    > I am sure this has been covered, but if anyone has a link or any input on this I thank you. I am
    > looking to put some tri bars on my road bike and
    not
    > sure where to start. I have ergo shifters (campy) on the brake levers and don't know what route to
    > go. I can't afford another bike and I am not
    sure
    > I will like tri's yet since I have just been training and starting out.
    Is
    > there a good clip on tri type bar to put on that is any good?
    >
    > Should I look for a whole set of bars with levers used that would be compatible with my c-record
    > group or is that too much? I don't want to go too crazy, but looking for a better position on my
    > bike for a tri.
    >
    > Thanks, Curt

  9. Asweepay

    Asweepay Guest

    >Hmmm, adjustable length. I will keep my eyes open for them. I am 6'2" which isn't a very good size
    >for a cyclist or a tri participant for that matter, but I want to be comfortable and in good
    >position to do the best I can.
    >
    >If anyone has brand names that are light and fully adjustable that would be good. Profile seems to
    >be popular and you mention Profile Century which is length adjustable. Are there others?
    >
    >Curt

    These are on ebay for about 10 more hours. And are very adjustable.

    http://tinyurl.com/38eqy

    I'm in the market for a pair myself and was bidding on these. I wouldn't have told you about them if
    I hadb't noticed that they would only ship to the states (I'm in Canada). Oops.

  10. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > To add to the above points which I fully agree with..... I have a Giant TCR set up for road and
    > > triathlons with a Profile Design Century clip on aerobar. My greatest regret was not getting an
    > > aerobar that is length adjustable - watch ebay for a Profile Century bar coming soon! Adjustable
    > > aerobars give you the flexibility to set up your aerobar (length, width, pad position) WITHOUT
    > > having to have a shorter stem and possibly ruin your road position. I find the Century bar a wee
    > > bit too long for my road bike.
    > >
    > > DEFINITELY get fitted for the changes but think carefully about how you want to use the bike. I
    > > do a mix of road and triathlon/TT so the setup reflects this - I don't want a pure TT bike
    > > (yet!)! That is where adjustable tri bars can let you tweak your aerobar position without
    > > ruining your road position.
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    >
    > Hmmm, adjustable length. I will keep my eyes open for them. I am 6'2" which isn't a very good size
    > for a cyclist or a tri participant for that matter, but I want to be comfortable and in good
    > position to do the best I can.
    >
    > If anyone has brand names that are light and fully adjustable that would be good. Profile seems to
    > be popular and you mention Profile Century which is length adjustable. Are there others?
    >
    > Curt

    6'2" -good to see a few short people on the start line! I'm 6'4" and find the Profile Century too
    long, I feel too stretched out - and by the way it is NOT length adjustable. I don't think height is
    really an issue in triathlons or cycling as long as you get the bike set up correctly you will be
    comfortable. Length of aerobar you need will depend on your geometry, the position you are after and
    that of the bike - you may find the Profile Century is fine in which case its an excellent cheap
    option. In my book, fit and comfort go much further than extreme aero positions, particularly over
    longer events and an adjustable bar lets you experiment a bit more with positions. How many times
    have you seen half the field riding on the hoods when on the flat? Most of the time, so get
    comfortable!

    Other adjustable bars include Profile, ITM, 3T etc etc - most makes do one of some sort or another.

    See you at the races and mind you don't get trodden on.

  11. Curt

    Curt Guest

    These any good?

    Curt

    http://www.all3sports.com/product/categoryID/107/Manufacturer/0/ProductID/106 "Ken"
    > "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > To add to the above points which I fully agree with..... I have a Giant TCR set up for road
    > > > and triathlons with a Profile Design Century clip on aerobar. My greatest regret was not
    > > > getting an aerobar that is length adjustable - watch ebay for a Profile Century bar coming
    > > > soon! Adjustable aerobars give you the flexibility to set up your aerobar (length, width, pad
    > > > position) WITHOUT having to have a shorter stem and possibly ruin your road position. I find
    > > > the Century bar a wee bit too long for my road bike.
    > > >
    > > > DEFINITELY get fitted for the changes but think carefully about how you want to use the bike.
    > > > I do a mix of road and triathlon/TT so the setup reflects this - I don't want a pure TT bike
    > > > (yet!)! That is where adjustable tri bars can let you tweak your aerobar position without
    > > > ruining your road position.
    > > >
    > > > Good luck!
    > >
    > > Hmmm, adjustable length. I will keep my eyes open for them. I am 6'2" which isn't a very good
    > > size for a cyclist or a tri participant for that matter, but I want to be comfortable and in
    > > good position to do the best
    > > can.
    > >
    > > If anyone has brand names that are light and fully adjustable that would
    be
    > > good. Profile seems to be popular and you mention Profile Century which
    is
    > > length adjustable. Are there others?
    > >
    > > Curt
    >

    > 6'2" -good to see a few short people on the start line! I'm 6'4" and find the Profile Century too
    > long, I feel too stretched out - and by the way it is NOT length adjustable. I don't think height
    > is really an issue in triathlons or cycling as long as you get the bike set up correctly you will
    > be comfortable. Length of aerobar you need will depend on your geometry, the position you are
    > after and that of the bike - you may find the Profile Century is fine in which case its an
    > excellent cheap option. In my book, fit and comfort go much further than extreme aero positions,
    > particularly over longer events and an adjustable bar lets you experiment a bit more with
    > positions. How many times have you seen half the field riding on the hoods when on the flat? Most
    > of the time, so get comfortable!
    >
    > Other adjustable bars include Profile, ITM, 3T etc etc - most makes do one of some sort or
    > another.
    >
    > See you at the races and mind you don't get trodden on.

  12. Ken

    Ken Guest

  13. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Thanks Ken,

    I think that is what I am going to get. They certainly hold value. I was watching this on ebay and
    was going to bid, but they over paid I think. I would rather buy new for an extra $10.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3659275768&category=42319

    Thanks again. Seems like a good price new. Curt

    news:[email protected]...