Converting an STI from Double to Triple

Me

Guest
I have ultegra 9 speed STIs with a double chainring, I want to swap out crankset to a triple, along
with my bottom bracket, rear derailler to allow me to get up some short sharp hills around my house.

Question is, my STIs are practically brand new and I'm looking for an easy way to allow me to drop
down to the "third" inner chainring when I put the new cranks on.

My frame has screw in sti cable stops (identical to a rear derailler adjustment barrrel) on the
headtube not the standard braze-on that would alow allow retro-downtube shift levers on so I can't
even put on a cheap friction shift left like Lance!

Question, does anyone make a simple device that goes somewhere between the STI's and 1st cablestop
to allow me flick a switch (as its infrequent I wouldn't mind my hand having to leave the STI) and
release enough cable for the chain to drop down to the third ring?

What about a conversion kit to change the internals of a lefthand 2003 STI from a double
to a triple.

Hopefully all this makes sense.

thanks in advance

A shy person wrote:

> I have ultegra 9 speed STIs with a double chainring, I want to swap out crankset to a triple,
> along with my bottom bracket, rear derailler to allow me to get up some short sharp hills around
> my house.

You don't actually need to swap out the _rear_ derailer, but should swap the front one. The "double"
front derailer will have a lot of trouble getting from the small to middle chainring.

Depending on your cassette, the short cage rear derailer will lead to some chain droop when using
the small front ring with some of the smaller rear sprockets, but this doesn't do any actual harm,
and you shouldn't use those combinations anyway.

> Question is, my STIs are practically brand new and I'm looking for an easy way to allow me to drop
> down to the "third" inner chainring when I put the new cranks on.
>
> My frame has screw in sti cable stops (identical to a rear derailler adjustment barrrel) on the
> headtube not the standard braze-on that would alow allow retro-downtube shift levers on so I can't
> even put on a cheap friction shift left like Lance!
>
> Question, does anyone make a simple device that goes somewhere between the STI's and 1st cablestop
> to allow me flick a switch (as its infrequent I wouldn't mind my hand having to leave the STI) and
> release enough cable for the chain to drop down to the third ring?
>
> What about a conversion kit to change the internals of a lefthand 2003 STI from a double to
> a triple.

No such device is needed, all 9-speed Ultegra STIs are triple compatible out of the box.

Such a device used to exist (and be needed) for the _8-speed_ version, but that's a non-issue with
your 9-speed setup.

Sheldon "Easier Than You Think" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------+
| It is good to learn from your mistakes; | It is better to learn from the mistakes of others. |
+---------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... ...
> Question is, my STIs are practically brand new and I'm looking for an easy way to allow me to drop
> down to the "third" inner chainring when I put the new cranks on.
> Question, does anyone make a simple device that goes somewhere between the STI's and 1st cablestop
> to allow me flick a switch (as its infrequent I wouldn't mind my hand having to leave the STI) and
> release enough cable for the chain to drop down to the third ring?

With the exception of DuraAce, all 9-speed STI shifters are built to handle a double OR a triple.
You don't need to replace your brifters...all you need are front and rear derailers and a new crank
(and possibly a new chain).

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:11:05 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> You don't actually need to swap out the _rear_ derailer, but should swap the front one. The
> "double" front derailer will have a lot of trouble getting from the small to middle chainring.
>
> Depending on your cassette, the short cage rear derailer will lead to some chain droop when using
> the small front ring with some of the smaller rear sprockets, but this doesn't do any actual harm,
> and you shouldn't use those combinations anyway.

I have the same issue as the OP but with Shimano 105. I'm glad to finally hear what I want
to hear! :)

> No such device is needed, all 9-speed Ultegra STIs are triple compatible out of the box.

How about 9 speed, 2001 105?

--
Rick "Happier Than You Think" Onanian

I wrote:

>> You don't actually need to swap out the _rear_ derailer, but should swap the front one. The
>> "double" front derailer will have a lot of trouble getting from the small to middle chainring.
>>
>> Depending on your cassette, the short cage rear derailer will lead to some chain droop when using
>> the small front ring with some of the smaller rear sprockets, but this doesn't do any actual
>> harm, and you shouldn't use those combinations anyway.
>
>> No such device is needed, all 9-speed Ultegra STIs are triple compatible out of the box.

Rick Onanian asked:

> How about 9 speed, 2001 105?

Both 8- and 9-speed 105 STI is triple compatible.

Sheldon "Triples" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------+
| Once more upon the waters! yet once more! | And the waves bound beneath me as a steed | That
| knows his rider. Welcome to their roar! | Swift be their guidance, wheresoe'er it lead! | Though
| the strain'd mast should quiver as a reed, | And the rent canvas fluttering strew the gale, |
| Still must I on; for I am as a weed, | Flung from the rock, on Ocean's foam to sail | Where'er
| the surge may sweep, | the tempest's breath prevail. | --Lord Byron Child Harold's Pilgrimage |
+-----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

Sheldon Brown wrote:

>> What about a conversion kit to change the internals of a lefthand 2003 STI from a double to a
>> triple.
>

> No such device is needed, all 9-speed Ultegra STIs are triple compatible out of the box.

What about 7-speed RSX STI? My wife has this with a double and I would like sometime to convert this
to a triple.

Thanks, Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson wrote:

> Sheldon Brown wrote:
>

>>> What about a conversion kit to change the internals of a lefthand 2003 STI from a double to a
>>> triple.
>>

>> No such device is needed, all 9-speed Ultegra STIs are triple compatible out of the box.
>>
> What about 7-speed RSX STI? My wife has this with a double and I would like sometime to convert
> this to a triple.

RSX STIs are all triple-compatible.

| Want of care does us more damage than want of knowledge. | -- Benjamin Franklin |