Can anyone tell me how to convert the freehub on my '03
Bontrager Race X Lite wheelset from Campy to Shimano? Do I
need to get a new hub and rebuild the wheel? Is there an
easier way? Thanks JD jonnyd at bigfoot.com

dynnoj-<< Can anyone tell me how to convert the freehub on
my '03 Bontrager Race X Lite wheelset from Campy to Shimano?
Do I need to get a new hub and rebuild the wheel? Is there
an easier way? >><BR><BR>

Hopefully Mike J will respond about the wheel but the
easiest way is to use a Campagnolo cogset to match the
shimano shifters. Like a 9s cogset, it will shift with
shimano just fine.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Thanks Peter! That sounds like a great solution. Bontrager
tech support e-mailed me today and said that there is no way
to modify the '03 Campy hub and that they would not sell me
a Shimano compatable replacement so I could just rebuild the
wheel. I'll give this a try. JD

> Hopefully Mike J will respond about the wheel but the
> easiest way is to use a Campagnolo cogset to match the
> shimano shifters. Like a 9s cogset, it will shift with
> shimano just fine.

> dynnoj-<< Can anyone tell me how to convert the freehub
> on my '03
Bontrager
> Race X Lite wheelset from Campy to Shimano? Do I need to
> get a new hub and rebuild the wheel? Is there an easier
> way? >><BR><BR>
>
> Hopefully Mike J will respond about the wheel but the
> easiest way is to
use a
> Campagnolo cogset to match the shimano shifters. Like a 9s
> cogset, it will shift with shimano just fine.

Sorry, didn't spot this thread yesterday. I believe you can
swap a Campy body onto a Race X-Lite that was originally
Shimano, but not the other way around. I'll check tomorrow.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> dynnoj-<< Can anyone tell me how to convert the freehub
> on my '03
Bontrager
> Race X Lite wheelset from Campy to Shimano? Do I need to
> get a new hub and rebuild the wheel? Is there an easier
> way? >><BR><BR>
>
> Hopefully Mike J will respond about the wheel but the
> easiest way is to
use a
> Campagnolo cogset to match the shimano shifters. Like a 9s
> cogset, it will shift with shimano just fine.
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
> costruite eccezionalmente bene"

> Sorry, didn't spot this thread yesterday. I believe you
> can swap a Campy body onto a Race X-Lite that was
> originally Shimano, but not the other way around. I'll
> check tomorrow.

Just confirmed that that is, indeed, the case. On the '04
model, you can go either way.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Sorry, didn't spot this thread yesterday. I believe you
> > can swap a Campy body onto a Race X-Lite that was
> > originally Shimano, but not the other way around. I'll
> > check tomorrow.
>
> Just confirmed that that is, indeed, the case. On the '04
> model, you can go either way.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike -

I have an ¹03 Race X Lite w/ Campy hub ( DT Hugi ). Its on
an Œ03 Lemond Tete de Course and the bearings are shot.

Had the hub rebuilt with new bearings fom Trek, but the
³play² problem still exists.

I have been told that these bearings are Japanese
manufacture, not Swiss.

Besides buying handbuilt wheels ( have ordered a set of Open
Pros on Campy record hubs ) what can you suggest?

MTIA

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:55:48 GMT, "H. M. Leary"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Had the hub rebuilt with new bearings fom Trek, but the
>³play² problem still exists. what can you suggest?

Send the hub to DT in Colorado -- they can install bearings
so there's no play.

> Mike -
>
> I have an ¹03 Race X Lite w/ Campy hub ( DT Hugi ). Its on
> an O03 Lemond
Tete de
> Course and the bearings are shot.
>
> Had the hub rebuilt with new bearings fom Trek, but the
> ³play² problem
still
> exists.
>
> I have been told that these bearings are Japanese
> manufacture, not Swiss.

Not sure why you've still got play, nor why your bearings
went bad so quickly. The DT Hugi hub Bontrager uses rarely
gives us trouble. Were the new bearings installed by a shop
that's familiar with them? Did they give you any reason why
there's still play?

I should also ask how much play there is. Even the very
highest quality cartridge-bearing hubs (Phil Wood, for
example), exhibit some play after a while, which they
consider normal.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:mikie357-
[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>, "Mike
> Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Sorry, didn't spot this thread yesterday. I believe
> > > you can swap a
Campy
> > > body onto a Race X-Lite that was originally Shimano,
> > > but not the other
way
> > > around. I'll check tomorrow.
> >
> > Just confirmed that that is, indeed, the case. On the
> > '04 model, you
can go
> > either way.
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> > http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
> >

> Mike -
>
> I have an ¹03 Race X Lite w/ Campy hub ( DT Hugi ). Its on
> an O03 Lemond
Tete de
> Course and the bearings are shot.
>
> Had the hub rebuilt with new bearings fom Trek, but the
> ³play² problem
still
> exists.
>
> I have been told that these bearings are Japanese
> manufacture, not Swiss.
>
> Besides buying handbuilt wheels ( have ordered a set of
> Open Pros on Campy record hubs ) what can you suggest?
>
> MTIA
>
> --
> ³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³
>
> - Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

In article <[email protected]>,
dianne_1234 <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:55:48 GMT, "H. M. Leary"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Had the hub rebuilt with new bearings fom Trek, but the
> >³play² problem still exists. what can you suggest?
>
> Send the hub to DT in Colorado -- they can install
> bearings so there's no play.

This is what we ( my mechanic, who is DT Hugi certified )
are trying to do. Some one at Hugi says that the Japanese
manufactured bearings that Trek uses have excessive play.

We are trying to get Swiss bearings. Don¹t know what else
to do but get Campy or Phil Wood hubs and build a new set
of wheels.

Thanks to Mike J and Dianne.

HAND