Converting Campy 9/10sp to 8sp. Does it work?

Bob Lau

Guest
Hi, I have an old Campy 8 speed Exa drive cassette and recently heard a rubbing sound while the
wheel was spinning. I took apart the rear hub for maintenance and found a half inch area of the
bearing raceway was badly pitted. It's only a matter of time before this becomes unrideable so I was
thinking of buying a new Campy 10 speed rear hub and converting it to an 8 speed. I read that the
trick was to buy a spacer kit to convert it to 8 speed and then buy a 9 speed cassette, remove the
last cog and put in the new modified 8 speed spacers. This will lessen the cost of my upgrade to a
10 speed system in the future. Has anyone tried this? I'll hoping that the modified system will
shift as well as the original setup.

My other options are to buy a NOS 8 speed hub or just buy the rear axial and some new bearings.

TIA, Bob Lau

On Tue, 27 May 2003 09:31:43 -0400, Bob Lau <[email protected]> wrote:

>My other options are to buy a NOS 8 speed hub or just buy the rear axial and some new bearings.

I'll give you another option. I'll sell you a rear wheel, Veloce x Mavic Open Pro x 32 holes with
~400 miles for $105 plus shipping. If you want the matching front, $155 for the set, shipped.

In article <[email protected]>, Bob Lau
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Hi, I have an old Campy 8 speed Exa drive cassette and recently heard a rubbing sound while the
>wheel was spinning. I took apart the rear hub for maintenance and found a half inch area of the
>bearing raceway was badly pitted. It's only a matter of time before this becomes unrideable so I
>was thinking of buying a new Campy 10 speed rear hub and converting it to an 8 speed. I read that
>the trick was to buy a spacer kit to convert it to 8 speed and then buy a 9 speed cassette, remove
>the last cog and put in the new modified 8 speed spacers. This will lessen the cost of my upgrade
>to a 10 speed system in the future. Has anyone tried this? I'll hoping that the modified system
>will shift as well as the original setup.
>
>My other options are to buy a NOS 8 speed hub or just buy the rear axial and some new bearings.

There are a lot of ways you could fix this...

One way would be to buy a 9/10 speed rear wheel, put a 9-speed cassette and chain on it, and
upgrade your shifter to 9. You do not need to change the rear derailleur to do this. If you have
8-speed ergo levers you can convert them to 9 for a minimal cost in parts, assuming you can do the
labor yourself.

Another would be to get a 9s Veloce cassette (you need one where all cogs are individual) and use a
spacer kit to turn it into an 8s cassette as you mentioned. Wheels Manufacturing makes a spacer kit
for this purpose called SHIFT-8 which you should be able to order from any bike shop. Campy makes a
13-28 9-speed Veloce cassette which you could turn into an 8-speed 13-25.

The spacer kits are rather expensive which is why I would be considering a shift lever overhaul to
turn it into 9s, plus if you want a lighter cassette than Veloce, you would have the option of 9s
Chorus if you convert the shifter to 9.

--Paul

In article <2cNAa.35446$A%[email protected]>, cnhyf-
[email protected] says...
> In article <[email protected]>, Bob Lau
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Hi, I have an old Campy 8 speed Exa drive cassette and recently heard a rubbing sound while the
> >wheel was spinning. I took apart the rear hub for maintenance and found a half inch area of the
> >bearing raceway was badly pitted. It's only a matter of time before this becomes unrideable so I
> >was thinking of buying a new Campy 10 speed rear hub and converting it to an 8 speed. I read that
> >the trick was to buy a spacer kit to convert it to 8 speed and then buy a 9 speed cassette,
> >remove the last cog and put in the new modified 8 speed spacers. This will lessen the cost of my
> >upgrade to a 10 speed system in the future. Has anyone tried this? I'll hoping that the modified
> >system will shift as well as the original setup.
> >
> >My other options are to buy a NOS 8 speed hub or just buy the rear axial and some new bearings.
>
> There are a lot of ways you could fix this...
>
> One way would be to buy a 9/10 speed rear wheel, put a 9-speed cassette and chain on it, and
> upgrade your shifter to 9. You do not need to change the rear derailleur to do this. If you have
> 8-speed ergo levers you can convert them to 9 for a minimal cost in parts, assuming you can do the
> labor yourself.
>
> Another would be to get a 9s Veloce cassette (you need one where all cogs are individual) and use
> a spacer kit to turn it into an 8s cassette as you mentioned. Wheels Manufacturing makes a spacer
> kit for this purpose called SHIFT-8 which you should be able to order from any bike shop. Campy
> makes a 13-28 9-speed Veloce cassette which you could turn into an 8-speed 13-25.
>
> The spacer kits are rather expensive which is why I would be considering a shift lever overhaul to
> turn it into 9s, plus if you want a lighter cassette than Veloce, you would have the option of 9s
> Chorus if you convert the shifter to 9.
>
> --Paul

I think I'll go with the conversion to 9 speed and do a change on the shifters to accomodate the the
9 speed cassette. Do you know where I can find data on this?

boblau-<< I have an old Campy 8 speed Exa drive cassette and recently heard a rubbing sound while
the wheel was spinning. I took apart the rear hub for maintenance and found a half inch area of the
bearing raceway was badly pitted.

<< so I was thinking of buying a new Campy 10 speed rear hub and converting it to an 8 speed. I read
that the trick was to buy a spacer kit to convert it to 8 speed and then buy a 9 speed cassette,
remove the last cog and put in the new modified 8 speed

Or buy a loose Veloce 9s cogset, take out a cog and use black Campagnolo 8s spacers, just
did this...

<< This will lessen the cost of my upgrade to a 10 speed system in the future. Has anyone
tried this?

See above and you need to convert the lever to 8s with EC-RE-060-8s disc, all else will work fine,
even an older rear der...

<< My other options are to buy a NOS 8 speed hub or just buy the rear axial and some new bearings.

That bearing on the interior of the hub is available from us...taps off...

On Tue, 27 May 2003 09:31:43 +0000, Bob Lau wrote:

> Hi, I have an old Campy 8 speed Exa drive cassette and recently heard a rubbing sound while the
> wheel was spinning. I took apart the rear hub for maintenance and found a half inch area of the
> bearing raceway was badly pitted. It's only a matter of time before this becomes unrideable so I
> was thinking of buying a new Campy 10 speed rear hub and converting it to an 8 speed. I read that
> the trick was to buy a spacer kit to convert it to 8 speed and then buy a 9 speed cassette, remove
> the last cog and put in the new modified 8 speed spacers. This will lessen the cost of my upgrade
> to a 10 speed system in the future. Has anyone tried this? I'll hoping that the modified system
> will shift as well as the original setup.

I know someone who does this. But why? It is a small matter to convert the shifters to 9 or 10
speed. Since you have to replace the hub anyway, get a 9/10 speed hub, and a shift-disk. That way
you don't have to spend the same money for a spacer kit to be able to use 8-speed that you would to
convert the shifter to 9. I converted my shifter to 9 speed for $35 for a part from Peter Chisolm.

> My other options are to buy a NOS 8 speed hub or just buy the rear axial and some new bearings.

8 speed cassettes will be as scarce as hen's teeth in a couple years. Bad idea.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.