Converting Carbon Road Wheel to Track

TheBeasty

Apr 2, 2008
There are loads of Carbon Road wheels available via ebay, but very few Carbon Track wheels. I appreciate that a road wheel requires a cassettes/brakes etc, but is there a way of converting a road wheel into a track wheel?

TheBeasty said:
There are loads of Carbon Road wheels available via ebay, but very few Carbon Track wheels. I appreciate that a road wheel requires a cassettes/brakes etc, but is there a way of converting a road wheel into a track wheel?

If shimano compatible(that is, with a shimano freehub body, attached the same way), Surley has a bolt on freehub body that makes the wheel into a track wheel, complete with solid axle. 'May' be compatible.

SURLY PARTS!

Peter@vecchios said:
If shimano compatible(that is, with a shimano freehub body, attached the same way), Surley has a bolt on freehub body that makes the wheel into a track wheel, complete with solid axle. 'May' be compatible.

SURLY PARTS!
AFAIK, the SURLY FIXXER is only compatible with Shimano + Easton (formerly, Velomax) hubs.

alfeng said:
AFAIK, the SURLY FIXXER is only compatible with Shimano + Easton (formerly, Velomax) hubs.

I have installed it onto shimano, non DA 8s hubs before. Nothing to do with Easton(?). Bolt on for 6400/6500/6600, etc.

Peter@vecchios said:
I have installed it onto shimano, non DA 8s hubs before. Nothing to do with Easton(?). Bolt on for 6400/6500/6600, etc.
Peter, although your initial remark was correct, I think you phrased it in a way which suggested that a potential wheel which the OP may buy might be able to use a SURLY FIXXER -- I don't think that most end users realize that most Shimano-compatible rear hubs are constructed in a completely different manner than Shimano rear hubs ...

The exception would/(might?) be Easton's wheels because Easton bought Velomax ...

So, I was trying to give the OP (TheBeasty) + any others a realistic expectation with regard to using the SURLY FIXXER on their rear wheel.
Do any other rear hubs use a freehub body that is interchangeable with a Shimano freehub body?

As far as I know, the "vintage" Velomax freehub body was interchangeable with a Shimano freehub body ... that is, they had the same freehub-hub interface ... at least, that's the impression I had about a half-dozen years ago when I was investigating some Velomax wheels -- e.g., Velomax Ascent.

While Easton's current freehub body may have evolved, the pawl mechanism remains internal within the freehub (vs. within the hub) and the interface between the freehub & hub may be the same as when they were Velomax.

However, since I may well have been in error as to Velomax using the same freehub-hub interface as Shimano, then if the Easton/Velomax hub does not use a Shimano-interchangeable freehub body AND there aren't any others whose freehub is interchangeable with a Shimano freehub, then the SURLY FIXXER is really only intended for Shimano hubs ... and, your original statement implied there might be others beyond (?) the Velomax hub'd wheels.

FWIW. If the end-user isn't planning on re-dishing the rear wheel AND s/he is going to use the wheel as a Single Speed rather than a Fixie, then I think those SS cogs-and-spacer kits are a better option.

The FIXXER just seems like a half-assed option for a rear wheel which someone wants to use for "real" track riding because I think that to get the hub to fit in a 120mm spaced frame that the wheel's dish would not be symmetrical because it looks as though the FIXXER bumps the cog further out by about a centimeter from the hub flange than on a regular "track" hub ... that's a good thing if the wheel isn't going to be re-dished, of course.

FWIW2. If I were hell bent on having a carbon fiber rim for use as a Fixie/Track/Single-Speed wheel, I would look at relacing the rim from a FRONT wheel on a "track" hub -- i.e., have the spoke count raised to 32, if possible, by "drilling" 16 more spoke holes in a 16h front wheel's rim ... Kids, don't try this at home!

alfeng said:
Peter, although your initial remark was correct, I think you phrased it in a way which suggested that a potential wheel which the OP may buy might be able to use a SURLY FIXXER -- I don't think that most end users realize that most Shimano-compatible rear hubs are constructed in a completely different manner than Shimano rear hubs ...

The exception would/(might?) be Easton's wheels because Easton bought Velomax ...

So, I was trying to give the OP (TheBeasty) + any others a realistic expectation with regard to using the SURLY FIXXER on their rear wheel.
Do any other rear hubs use a freehub body that is interchangeable with a Shimano freehub body?

As far as I know, the "vintage" Velomax freehub body was interchangeable with a Shimano freehub body ... that is, they had the same freehub-hub interface ... at least, that's the impression I had about a half-dozen years ago when I was investigating some Velomax wheels -- e.g., Velomax Ascent.

While Easton's current freehub body may have evolved, the pawl mechanism remains internal within the freehub (vs. within the hub) and the interface between the freehub & hub may be the same as when they were Velomax.

However, since I may well have been in error as to Velomax using the same freehub-hub interface as Shimano, then if the Easton/Velomax hub does not use a Shimano-interchangeable freehub body AND there aren't any others whose freehub is interchangeable with a Shimano freehub, then the SURLY FIXXER is really only intended for Shimano hubs ... and, your original statement implied there might be others beyond (?) the Velomax hub'd wheels.

FWIW. If the end-user isn't planning on re-dishing the rear wheel AND s/he is going to use the wheel as a Single Speed rather than a Fixie, then I think those SS cogs-and-spacer kits are a better option.

The FIXXER just seems like a half-assed option for a rear wheel which someone wants to use for "real" track riding because I think that to get the hub to fit in a 120mm spaced frame that the wheel's dish would not be symmetrical because it looks as though the FIXXER bumps the cog further out by about a centimeter from the hub flange than on a regular "track" hub ... that's a good thing if the wheel isn't going to be re-dished, of course.

FWIW2. If I were hell bent on having a carbon fiber rim for use as a Fixie/Track/Single-Speed wheel, I would look at relacing the rim from a FRONT wheel on a "track" hub -- i.e., have the spoke count raised to 32, if possible, by "drilling" 16 more spoke holes in a 16h front wheel's rim ... Kids, don't try this at home!

Why I said, "If shimano compatible(that is, with a shimano freehub body, attached the same way).

Geezzz...

"Converting carbon road wheel to track."

??FWIW. If the end-user isn't planning on re-dishing the rear wheel AND s/he is going to use the wheel as a Single Speed rather than a Fixie, then I think those SS cogs-and-spacer kits are a better option.??

"

Peter@vecchios said:
Why I said, "If shimano compatible(that is, with a shimano freehub body, attached the same way).

Geezzz...

"Converting carbon road wheel to track."

??FWIW. If the end-user isn't planning on re-dishing the rear wheel AND s/he is going to use the wheel as a Single Speed rather than a Fixie, then I think those SS cogs-and-spacer kits are a better option.??

"
Geezzz, indeed!

Peter, I know what you said ...

I just don't think most people reading this thread know what you meant.

And, honestly, I think that few people who are talking about converting a freehub-based ROAD wheel to a so-called TRACK wheel would seriously use it as a TRACK wheel ... rather, they want to cobble together a Single Speed and/or a Fixie for the road ... the OP may be an exception.
Did ANY of the FIXXER conversions you made make it onto a Track?!?
Personally, not that too many people probably care, I think that a FIXXER converted, high-zoot, low spoke count ROAD rear wheel would not be suitable for TRACK/(Velodrome) riding because most of Shimano's low spoke count wheels are considered very flexy ... and [by your exclusion of Easton/Velomax wheels -- at least one of their wheelsets had/(has) a 28 spoke rear wheel] it seems that you are suggesting that no one else uses the Shimano freehub-hub interface ...

I'm still going to presume that the OP is not planning on taking a low spoke count, converted wheel onto a Track ... so, one of those cog-and-spacer kits would still be a better option if s/he ever gets a road wheelset with CF rims ...

But, I could be wrong!

alfeng said:
Geezzz, indeed!

Peter, I know what you said ...

I just don't think most people reading this thread know what you meant.

And, honestly, I think that few people who are talking about converting a freehub-based ROAD wheel to a so-called TRACK wheel would seriously use it as a TRACK wheel ... rather, they want to cobble together a Single Speed and/or a Fixie for the road ... the OP may be an exception.
Did ANY of the FIXXER conversions you made make it onto a Track?!?
Personally, not that too many people probably care, I think that a FIXXER converted, high-zoot, low spoke count ROAD rear wheel would not be suitable for TRACK/(Velodrome) riding because most of Shimano's low spoke count wheels are considered very flexy ... and [by your exclusion of Easton/Velomax wheels -- at least one of their wheelsets had/(has) a 28 spoke rear wheel] it seems that you are suggesting that no one else uses the Shimano freehub-hub interface ...

I'm still going to presume that the OP is not planning on taking a low spoke count, converted wheel onto a Track ... so, one of those cog-and-spacer kits would still be a better option if s/he ever gets a road wheelset with CF rims ...

But, I could be wrong!

Last post. I was answering the OP. If somebody has another question about another situation or wheel, they can start a new thread or ask the question.

Yes using the Surley hub did see time at the track. No reason not to. Solid axle, 120mm spacing, etc.Who said anything about a low spoke count shimano made wheel. How about an ultegra based, carbon rimmed road wheel?

OP->"Converting Carbon Road Wheel to Track"..Track like going to the track? But I could be wrong!

Why don't we ask him?

OP, are you there??