Converting cheap trainers to SPDs?

blackhead

Guest
Is it hopeless converting an ordinary trainer to an SPD shoe?

On Apr 2, 1:04 pm, blackhead <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it hopeless converting an ordinary trainer to an SPD shoe?

I would say so. I would suggest either buying a cheap SPD shoe (say
GBP25-30 is easy enough to find online) or use cage pedals and toe-
clips depending on the constraints and requirements that prompted the
query

best wishes
james

On 2 Apr, 13:04, blackhead <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it hopeless converting an ordinary trainer to an SPD shoe?

SPD (and other cycling shoes) are pretty stiff in the sole, for more
efficient power transfer. Full-on road cycling shoes (rather than
those in which you can easily walk) are exceptionally stiff. If you
tried to bolt an SPD cleat to a pair of trainers it would probably
just shred the sole when you pushed hard because there would be so
much flex. So yes, pretty much hopeless.

Colin

blackhead wrote:
> Is it hopeless converting an ordinary trainer to an SPD shoe?

Get some PYRO Platforms[1]. Probably cheaper just getting a proper pair
of cycling shoes.

Cheers,

[1] https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/secure/ProductDetails.aspx?FamilyID=2025

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,

In article <938cb84f-4ada-497b-96b2-
[email protected]>, blackhead
[email protected] says...
> Is it hopeless converting an ordinary trainer to an SPD shoe?

Not at all, if you can be bothered - just cut insole-shaped pieces of
fairly thick steel sheet, drill them for the fittings and glue them in.
There are a couple of tricky bits:
Getting the mounting slots in the right place - if you ride the bike
with the shoes you're going to adapt you may find that the pedals
leave indentations in the soles that give a pretty good idea where
to drill.
Dimpling the steel insert so the fixings don't stick through the
insole - when you do this it can distort the surrounding metal so
you end up with a curve where you don't want it.

But for the cost of cheap SPD shoes I wonder if it's worth the effort.

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:13:41 +0100, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

>blackhead wrote:
>> Is it hopeless converting an ordinary trainer to an SPD shoe?

>Get some PYRO Platforms[1]. Probably cheaper just getting a proper pair
>of cycling shoes.
>
>Cheers,
>
>[1] https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/secure/ProductDetails.aspx?FamilyID=2025

Have you actually used them? I can see perhaps for a sprint tri for a
serious fast runner where they'd be wearing race flats, but with a
shoe a bit more realistic for longer races I couldn't imagine them
being anything like as good as a proper shoe - Can't imagine the few
seconds saved over getting in and out of the shoes whilst on the bike
will really make up for the worse power transfer / feel.

Jim.

In article <[email protected]>, Jim Ley
[email protected] says...
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:13:41 +0100, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >blackhead wrote:
> >> Is it hopeless converting an ordinary trainer to an SPD shoe?

> >Get some PYRO Platforms[1]. Probably cheaper just getting a proper pair
> >of cycling shoes.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >[1] https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/secure/ProductDetails.aspx?FamilyID=2025

> Have you actually used them? I can see perhaps for a sprint tri for a
> serious fast runner where they'd be wearing race flats, but with a
> shoe a bit more realistic for longer races I couldn't imagine them
> being anything like as good as a proper shoe - Can't imagine the few
> seconds saved over getting in and out of the shoes whilst on the bike
> will really make up for the worse power transfer / feel.

What I don't understand is why they run the last bit when they have
bikes.

On 2 Apr, 14:17, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <938cb84f-4ada-497b-96b2-
> [email protected]>, blackhead
> [email protected] says...> Is it hopeless converting an ordinary trainer to an SPD shoe?
>
> Not at all, if you can be bothered - just cut insole-shaped pieces of
> fairly thick steel sheet, drill them for the fittings and glue them in.
> There are a couple of tricky bits:
>     Getting the mounting slots in the right place - if you ride the bike
>     with the shoes you're going to adapt you may find that the pedals
>     leave indentations in the soles that give a pretty good idea where
>     to drill.
>     Dimpling the steel insert so the fixings don't stick through the
>     insole - when you do this it can distort the surrounding metal so
>     you end up with a curve where you don't want it.
>
> But for the cost of cheap SPD shoes I wonder if it's worth the effort.

Plus your cheap trainers will be no good as cheap trainers. The steel
plate will make them uncomfortable to walk in, and will most probably
make them uncomfortable to ride in as well. The edge of the steel
plate will probably work its way through any insole, and will end up
cutting your feet.

Get the cheap SPDs, or go for clips and straps.

David Lloyd

In article <d9de9936-8bfe-499d-ad19-8510dc2eec51
@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, David Lloyd
[email protected] says...

> The edge of the steel
> plate will probably work its way through any insole, and will end up
> cutting your feet.

The edge of the steel would be in the same place as the edge of the
insole, so how would it cut through? It is likely that it would
eventually chafe through the uppers.