Converting Cro-Moly rigid to hardtail

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Darjevon, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

Please forgive my ignorance. I'm new here and I have little knowledge about bikes (I used to saturate bike chains with WD-40 :D ). Anyway, I just bought a Raleigh M60 secondhand. It is an older model but in excellent condition, with stunning paint job and smooth shifting. I want to replace this bike's solid fork with a suspension fork, but want to keep it under 100. I also use my bike for road riding, so some sort of lockout would be great. Anyway, I haven't the faintest idea of how to do this! Is this within my "ignorant novice" skill level or should I pay my local bikeshop to do it? :( Are there many fork sizes? :confused: How do you do this? Is the Rock Shox Judy TT a good choice for me? :eek: Will a suspension fork adversely affect my bike's geometry? :eek: Should I buy a new, but older (circa 2002) fork to save dough? :confused: I would really appreciate any input on this.

If any of this helps, my bike size is 22", i weigh about 140, and my bike's headset is a Dia Compe AHEADSET USA that appears to be very new indeed.

P.S. I live in Berkeley, CA, and can buy used marzocchi forks for like 40 in the East Bay section of Craigslist if that's a good idea. (They pop up sometimes)

Thanx,
    Jojo :eek: :confused:

P. P. S. Sorry for the icons. I just couldn't resist.

Tags:

2. jcueto

jcueto New Member

Just check the size. A long time ago I try to do the same thing with a stumpjumper and unfortunatelly I got a wrong size (diameter) suspensiĆ³n. Mine was really old bike (1.5" I believe) and got a wrong suspension (2").

Take care to adjust the front heigth, keeping the same geometry with no load.

pepe

3. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

Thanx, but I don't really know where to measure the headset / steerer tube. Any input much appreciated.

4. DecSim

DecSim New Member

Flaming internet explorer crashed and wiped the reply I was working on. Attempt two :mad:

The two measurements you need are the diameter of the steerer tube (will be either an inch or inch and an 1/8) and the crown to dropout length. I made a diagram for that one! Armed with these two measurements you should be able to get a fork that fits and doesn't mess with your geometry too much. You will probably find that all suspension forks are longer than your rigid forks so go for the closest ones to it. Probably 80mm or maybe 100mm travel ones will be ok.

I'm all for people servicing their own bikes so if you feel up to it look for a guide on the net on changing forks but if you are at all unsure about it get your local bike shop to check it over when done as they will spot any mistakes. Good luck :)

5. Conniebiker

Conniebiker New Member

I did the same swap on my 1992 Giant and the change in geometry was favorable. The added hieght of the suspension fork slackened the head angle to be nice and stable. Not all frames will turn out this way, but I will say this is not an isolated effect. Not all geometry changes are bad.
    The main thing is wether it is a 1-1/8" or 1" steer tube diameter. The geometry is more flexible.

6. DecSim

DecSim New Member

Yeah, Conniebiker is right, I didn't mean to make it sound like you have to find forks that are exactly the same length but just something to bear in mind. No 170mm travel forks for you :) You can also help compansate for the way geometry change affects the steering by changing stem length. Kinda.

DecSim (100mm fork on 80mm geometry frame rider :))

7. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

Sounds great. I already prefer a slightly more upright position so I was thinking of adding spacers to the stem - so I would be killing two birds with one stone. Thanks