converting double to a triple

teamgomez

Aug 23, 2005
Quick que- have a Mondonico outfitted DA7700 9 sp. Will the front shifter/derailleur accommodate a triple up front? Preparing for 'Death Ride' (15k' climbing...leaving the double at home) and want the 30 tooth up front (would take a 15 if I could find one!). Thx.

yes for the shifter no for the derrailleur,
(im not 100% sure, please someonelse could confirm this),

Originally Posted by teamgomez .

Quick que- have a Mondonico outfitted DA7700 9 sp. Will the front shifter/derailleur accommodate a triple up front? Preparing for 'Death Ride' (15k' climbing...leaving the double at home) and want the 30 tooth up front (would take a 15 if I could find one!). Thx.
Hi teamgomez, here is a thread with another approach which uses a friction or STI, DownTube or BarEnd, lever on the Brake Lever (RetroShift). It would be particularly useful if your front derailleur has, or could have, sufficient adjustment for the intended triple chainset that you intend to use ... http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/488379/new-shifting-system-now-available-for-shimano-derailleurs.

Originally Posted by vspa .

yes for the shifter no for the derrailleur,
(im not 100% sure, please someonelse could confirm this),

Don't think DA had a triple option until the 7800 series. Just checked - not correct.

Most likely need 7703 shifter, 7703 FD, and crank. Triple to double works (have done) but other way around doesn't unless you happen to have the 7703 left hand shifter for some reason.

If you have a compact (110bcd) crank already, then probably less expensive to work on rear gearing, but that depends on parts selected and it also spreads your ratios more than running a triple.

As noted, your 7700 shifter will not handle a triple crankset, per se, unless you are willing to manually reset the stops for EITHER the granny & middle OR middle & outer chainrings on an ad hoc basis ... a tedious proposition, to say the least ...

• if you don't use the crankset & your 7700/"double" shifter as only a double in the fore mentioned manner, then you will also want a rear derailleur with a longer cage ([COLOR= #808080]e.g, a 9-speed XTR/XT/LXT/etc.[/COLOR])
  • a 950 XTR crankset will fit on your current DA Octalink BB ([COLOR= #808080]of course, I'm presuming you have a DA7700 crankset[/COLOR]) ... the other Octalink BBs (e.g., XT/etc.) use a different spline

FWIW. As far as the Double front derailleur, if you have the discipline to only use the granny when the chain is on the larger cogs of your cassette then it will work & you are good-to-go ...

Otherwise, the chain will probably drag on the trailing edge of the front derailleur's cage.

BTW. I've used a 112.5mm XTR BB [[COLOR= #808080]you'll need to use the BB spacer(s) on the driveside[/COLOR]] or if you have an older take-apart DA BB + an older take-apart XTR BB then you can just put the 112.5mm XTR spindle into the DA BB assembly.

BTW2. For just the ONE RIDE, as suggested, I would go with a friction downtube shifter for the front if your frame has a suitable braze-on mount ...

If you get an indexed downtube shifter then it will probably have only ONE index ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., Shimano presumes you are using the downtube shifters with a Double crankset[/COLOR]), but the lever can be pulled back beyond the indexing indent ([COLOR= #808080]at least, on earlier models[/COLOR]) to achieve a shift onto a third chainring ([COLOR= #808080]e.g., your crank's outer chainring[/COLOR]) .

BTW3. It sounds like you may want to consider using a cassette with a larger cog than whatever your current cassette has regardless of the chainring combination you end up with.

Maybe a dumb question: have you considered getting a cassette with 28 tooth cog? In 34/28, I've been able to get up some really ugly hills.

Just curious. Admittedly, I have no idea how bad the "death ride" will be!

Scott

Ha ha, OK. Just googled it ...15000 feet of climbing. Triple sounds nice! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks for all the great feedback- not sure how the ride will be but if it is anything like the name then it may be a one way trip!

Not fearing the hills as much as the altitude...been a long time since I lived at 8500' and my sea level lungs will likely be in a mild revolt....

Triple up front looks to be too much effort when my compact with a 32 on the back is the same as a 30 on a 27. Will any of the mtb cassettes work as long as it is a shimano or are there different spline patterns for the mtb free hubs?

Graezi all!

Thanks for all the great feedback- not sure how the ride will be but if it is anything like the name then it may be a one way trip!

Not fearing the hills as much as the altitude...been a long time since I lived at 8500' and my sea level lungs will likely be in a mild revolt....

Triple up front looks to be too much effort when my compact with a 32 on the back is the same as a 30 on a 27. Will any of the mtb cassettes work as long as it is a shimano or are there different spline patterns for the mtb free hubs?

Graezi all!
Hi teamgomez, have a look at this thread, where I am using an 11-36T cassette with DA 7800 STI shifters and a standard (52-39T) crankset ... http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/477148/an-alternative-to-using-a-compact-crank-set

Actually in that thread I used an XT M772 RD, but I am now using an XTR M972 RD, which definitely works better than the XT RD. This will also work with a compact (50-34T) crankset, without issue and would provide very low gearing (34 front to 36 rear). :)

Triple up front looks to be too much effort when my compact with a 32 on the back is the same as a 30 on a 27. [COLOR= #0000ff]Will any of the mtb cassettes work as long as it is a shimano or are there different spline patterns for the mtb free hubs?[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]You can substitute any 9-speed Shimano MTB cassette for whichever 9-speed Road cassette that you are currently using on your bike ...[/COLOR]

• You can even use a 9-speed SRAM cassette!?!

However, if you don't use a Shimano MTB rear derailleur then you may need to adjust the rear deralleur's B-screw to achieve clearance between the upper jockey wheel & the 32t cog on your Shimano Road rear derailleur.

FWIW. Here's my OLMO with an 11-32 XT cassette + a 53/39 crankset:

Thanks Gents for the thread redirect and parts information. Will be in the hunt for a new rear cassette and will do some b-screw work to get 'er dialed in. Will post pix from the summit(s) if I make it to all of them!