Converting flat bars to drops

Phil Bixby

Guest
Hi folks

I've got a Specialized Sirrus Elite flat barred bike, which I love, but would like to put drop bars
on it to give a more wind-avoiding riding position. I originally went for flat bars because I'd be
towing my daughter's trailer-bike and wanted better leverage and control in town - she's now being
weaned off this and onto a solo bike.

I've checked Specialized's website and the frame geometry of the Sirrus and Allez bikes are near
enough the same (front traingle anyway) so the basic shape of the bike seems okay. What I'm not so
sure about is levers - the Sirrus has canti linear-pull brakes; will these work okay with standard
levers or will I end up over the bars every time I tug 'em?

The bike's got a 105 rear mech and (if it's all do-able) I'd go for 105 levers and change the front
mech to 105 too.

Anyone done similar things and got experience to share? Many thanks in advance for any words of
wisdom (and, as a mainly lurking person, thanks to all for the useful stuff that gets kicked around
on here - a fantastic resource for relative newbies like me)

Phil Bixby York, UK

"Phil Bixby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi folks
>
> I've got a Specialized Sirrus Elite flat barred bike, which I love, but would like to put drop
> bars on it to give a more wind-avoiding riding position. I originally went for flat bars because
> I'd be towing my daughter's trailer-bike and wanted better leverage and control in town - she's
> now being weaned off this and onto a solo bike.
>
> I've checked Specialized's website and the frame geometry of the Sirrus
and
> Allez bikes are near enough the same (front traingle anyway) so the basic shape of the bike seems
> okay. What I'm not so sure about is levers - the Sirrus has canti linear-pull brakes; will these
> work okay with standard levers or will I end up over the bars every time I tug 'em?
>
> The bike's got a 105 rear mech and (if it's all do-able) I'd go for 105 levers and change the
> front mech to 105 too.
>
> Anyone done similar things and got experience to share? Many thanks in advance for any words of
> wisdom (and, as a mainly lurking person, thanks to all for the useful stuff that gets kicked
> around on
here -
> a fantastic resource for relative newbies like me)
>
> Phil Bixby York, UK

The problem is with levers and the callipers. There is not enough travel in the levers and too
much in the callipers, or v-brakes as I suppose they are. There are devices available to overcome
this "The Travel Agent" being one I can recall. I tried such a device a few years back and had
little success, but then I'm not a bike mechanic ! There are brake levers available which have
the necessary travel but they are not STI levers, Dia-Compe I think. The best idea in the long
run might be to try and use cantilever brakes as opposed to v-brakes, the type that are used in
cyclo-cross in conjunction with STI levers. Or failing that sell the Sirrus and buy a Specialized
road bike !

Good Luck

Graham

Hi Graham, and thanks for the info.

The brakes are in fact (as I understand it) cyclo-cross type ones - ie a pair of vertical arms which
get squeezed together by a cable pulling horizontally, not v-brakes where a vertical cable pulls two
bits of upside-down V. Does this sound more promising?

Reason for not selling and getting another bike is that in all other respects the bike suits me -
mudguards fitted, nice Ritchey wheels / crankset and it's robust, even having bosses for lowrider
panniers on the fork. Plus, selling bikes is such a PAIN!

Thanks again Phil

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Phil Bixby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi folks
> >
> > I've got a Specialized Sirrus Elite flat barred bike, which I love, but would like to put drop
> > bars on it to give a more wind-avoiding riding position. I originally went for flat bars because
> > I'd be towing my daughter's trailer-bike and wanted better leverage and control in town - she's
> > now being weaned off this and onto a solo bike.
> >
> > I've checked Specialized's website and the frame geometry of the Sirrus
> and
> > Allez bikes are near enough the same (front traingle anyway) so the
basic
> > shape of the bike seems okay. What I'm not so sure about is levers - the Sirrus has canti
> > linear-pull brakes; will these work okay with standard levers or will I end up over the bars
> > every time I tug 'em?
> >
> > The bike's got a 105 rear mech and (if it's all do-able) I'd go for 105 levers and change the
> > front mech to 105 too.
> >
> > Anyone done similar things and got experience to share? Many thanks in advance for any words of
> > wisdom (and, as a mainly lurking person, thanks to all for the useful stuff that gets kicked
> > around on
> here -
> > a fantastic resource for relative newbies like me)
> >
> > Phil Bixby York, UK
> >

> The problem is with levers and the callipers. There is not enough
travel
> in the levers and too much in the callipers, or v-brakes as I suppose they are. There are devices
> available to overcome this "The Travel Agent" being one I can recall. I tried such a device a few
> years back and had little success, but then I'm not a bike mechanic ! There are brake levers
available
> which have the necessary travel but they are not STI levers, Dia-Compe I think. The best idea in
> the long run might be to try and use cantilever brakes as opposed to v-brakes, the type that are
> used in cyclo-cross in conjunction with STI levers. Or failing that sell the Sirrus and buy a
> Specialized road bike !
>
> Good Luck
>
> Graham

"Phil Bixby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Graham, and thanks for the info.
>
> The brakes are in fact (as I understand it) cyclo-cross type ones - ie a pair of vertical arms
> which get squeezed together by a cable pulling horizontally, not v-brakes where a vertical cable
> pulls two bits of upside-down V. Does this sound more promising?
>
> Reason for not selling and getting another bike is that in all other respects the bike suits me -
> mudguards fitted, nice Ritchey wheels / crankset and it's robust, even having bosses for lowrider
> panniers on the fork. Plus, selling bikes is such a PAIN!
>
> Thanks again Phil

Your getting v-brakes and cantilevers mixed up Phil. It is the other way around ! So tou should
investigate the brake adaptor situation "Travel Agent" or

> Q: is it possible to use drop bars on my mountain bike ??
A: yes you can, if you are running cantilever brakes then your new drop road brake levers will work
fine, if you are running v brakes then a v brake adaptor is required.

This is from a bike shop site Gear of Glasgow, just to give you an idea of what I am
talking about.

http://www.bikepark.co.uk/acatalog/Bikepark_Online_Brakes_19.html Have a look at this as well.
Hope this helps.

Graham

> "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Phil Bixby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi folks
> > >
> > > I've got a Specialized Sirrus Elite flat barred bike, which I love,
but
> > > would like to put drop bars on it to give a more wind-avoiding riding position. I originally
> > > went for flat bars because I'd be towing my daughter's trailer-bike and wanted better leverage
> > > and control in
town -
> > > she's now being weaned off this and onto a solo bike.
> > >
> > > I've checked Specialized's website and the frame geometry of the
Sirrus
> > and
> > > Allez bikes are near enough the same (front traingle anyway) so the
> basic
> > > shape of the bike seems okay. What I'm not so sure about is levers -
the
> > > Sirrus has canti linear-pull brakes; will these work okay with
standard
> > > levers or will I end up over the bars every time I tug 'em?
> > >
> > > The bike's got a 105 rear mech and (if it's all do-able) I'd go for
105
> > > levers and change the front mech to 105 too.
> > >
> > > Anyone done similar things and got experience to share? Many thanks in advance for any words
> > > of wisdom (and, as a mainly
lurking
> > > person, thanks to all for the useful stuff that gets kicked around on
> > here -
> > > a fantastic resource for relative newbies like me)
> > >
> > > Phil Bixby York, UK
> > >

> > The problem is with levers and the callipers. There is not enough
> travel
> > in the levers and too much in the callipers, or v-brakes as I suppose
they
> > are. There are devices available to overcome this "The Travel Agent"
being
> > one I can recall. I tried such a device a few years back and had little success, but then I'm
> > not a bike mechanic ! There are brake levers
> available
> > which have the necessary travel but they are not STI levers, Dia-Compe I think. The best idea in
> > the long run might be to try and use cantilever brakes as opposed to v-brakes, the type that are
> > used in cyclo-cross in conjunction with STI levers. Or failing that sell the Sirrus and buy a
> > Specialized road bike !
> >
> > Good Luck
> >
> > Graham

I must be going senile - I could have sworn that thread title said "bras" and was expecting an
entertaining thread about silicone implants, which would inevitably have drifted into a helmet
thread and finally petered out some time in 2004 when Paul Smith posted that helmets were
essential to protect cyclists against those drivers who insist on dangerously failing to exceed
the speed limit.

I'll get me coat....

--
Guy
===

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Your getting v-brakes and cantilevers mixed up Phil. It is the other
way
> around !

Guilty as charged :eek:/ I'll follow your advice - replacing the brakes with cantilevers seems like the
most elegant solution. Cost isn't too bad once it's lost in amongst the bars/levers/etc, especially
if you sort of half close your eyes while writing the cheque :eek:)

Thanks for your help (once again) Phil

"Phil Bixby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Your getting v-brakes and cantilevers mixed up Phil. It is the other
> way
> > around !
>
> Guilty as charged :eek:/ I'll follow your advice - replacing the brakes
with
> cantilevers seems like the most elegant solution. Cost isn't too bad once it's lost in amongst the
> bars/levers/etc, especially if you sort of half close your eyes while writing the cheque :eek:)
>
> Thanks for your help (once again) Phil

No problem, anytime ! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ Look at the brakes here, see if they are suitable.

Graham

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:39:58 +0000 (UTC), "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Phil Bixby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > Your getting v-brakes and cantilevers mixed up Phil. It is the other
>> way
>> > around !
>>
>> Guilty as charged :eek:/ I'll follow your advice - replacing the brakes
>with
>> cantilevers seems like the most elegant solution. Cost isn't too bad once it's lost in amongst
>> the bars/levers/etc, especially if you sort of half close your eyes while writing the cheque :eek:)
>>
>> Thanks for your help (once again) Phil
>>

> No problem, anytime ! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ Look at the brakes here, see if they are
> suitable.
>
> Graham

I'm about to do a similar conversion on an old hybrid type bike. I intend to do it on the cheap. I'm
hoping the cheapo cantilever brakes ("suitable for drop handlebars") from SJS will do the trick.

I just need to make a few phone calls to SJS to clarify stem/handlebar sizes and I'll be off on my
first bike engineering task.

The other thing I've got to do is to lose the grip shifters. Again, I've found some cheap stem
mounted shifters on SJS which seem OK. I've never seen stem mounted before and can't understand why;
it looks a really ergonomic place to change gear from.

If it all works, I might go the whole hog and respray it yellow; my favourite bike colour.

>I must be going senile - I could have sworn that thread title said "bras" and was expecting an
>entertaining thread about silicone implants, which would inevitably have drifted into a helmet
>thread and finally petered out some time in 2004 when Paul Smith posted that helmets were
>essential to protect cyclists against those drivers who insist on dangerously failing to exceed
>the speed limit.
>

>I'll get me coat....

No dear - you need to up the medication. Matron will be along shortly. Be a good boy and lie quietly
in the padded cell.

Cheers, the paving slab fairy

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> I must be going senile - I could have sworn that thread title said "bras"
/snip/

> I'll get me coat....
>
> --
> Guy

This ng is indeed a mine of weird and wonderful information. Perhaps you're right Guy... maybe
"drops" is indeed the technical term for what you get when bras are removed?

I'll expect clarification from the paving slab fairy when she comes round with the clarification
trolley next...

Phil B