Converting from double to triple

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Warren

About 5 years ago I found a deal on a touring frame and built it up using an eclectic blend of
components. Because it was intended to be used as a utility bike --- not for loaded touring--- I
just put a double chain ring set-up on it. Now I'm thinking that I would like to do some loaded
touring and would like to put a triple on it. I have an Ultegra triple (30-42-52) stored away from
another bike and would like to use it if possible. The trouble is that it's for a 9 speed chain and
my (existing) cassette is an 8 speed.

Here's the existing component group: 105 cranks, Double (39-26) Ultegra front deraileur (designed
for a double) Ultegra rear deraileur (not a long cage) 8 speed cassette, 13-26 XT rear hub, 105
STI shifters

What I would like to do: Convert to a triple (hopefully using the 9 speed Triple cranks that I
already have. Is this possible or will I have to buy another set of triple cranks?

-I'm guessing the front deraileur will need to be replaced?

-Is it possible to make the existing rear deraileur work or is a long cage necessary?

-Is it possible to buy just a left side triple STI shifter? (I prefer sti's over bar-end or down
tube shifters)

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated, Bob

wheels-<< Now I'm thinking that I would like to do some loaded touring and would like to put a
triple on it.

<< I have an Ultegra triple (30-42-52) stored away from another bike and would like to use it if
possible. The trouble is that it's for a 9 speed chain and my (existing) cassette is an 8 speed.

No trouble, that crank will work fine with a 8s chain.

<< 105 STI shifters

Your left(front) shifter is double only is 8s-you will need a triple left shifter or use a bar con-

Triple fder, long cage rder, 118.5mm BB-

<< -Is it possible to make the existing rear deraileur work or is a long cage necessary?

You can make a short cage work but the chain has to artifically short, which makes big ring/big cog
combos impossible.

<< -Is it possible to buy just a left side triple STI shifter? (I prefer sti's over bar-end or down
tube shifters)

yes they are available-Quality Bike parts(a distributor) sells them, see yer bike shop.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Robert Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> About 5 years ago I found a deal on a touring frame and
built it up
> using an eclectic blend of components. Because it was
intended to be
> used as a utility bike --- not for loaded touring--- I
just put a
> double chain ring set-up on it. Now I'm thinking that I
would like to
> do some loaded touring and would like to put a triple on
it. I have an
> Ultegra triple (30-42-52) stored away from another bike
and would like
> to use it if possible. The trouble is that it's for a 9
speed chain
> and my (existing) cassette is an 8 speed.
>
> Here's the existing component group: 105 cranks, Double (39-26) Ultegra front deraileur (designed
> for a double) Ultegra rear deraileur (not a long cage) 8 speed cassette, 13-26 XT rear hub, 105
> STI shifters
>
> What I would like to do: Convert to a triple (hopefully using the 9 speed Triple
cranks that I
> already have. Is this possible or will I have to buy
another set of
> triple cranks?
>
> -I'm guessing the front deraileur will need to be
replaced?
>
> -Is it possible to make the existing rear deraileur work
or is a long
> cage necessary?
>
> -Is it possible to buy just a left side triple STI
shifter? (I prefer
> sti's over bar-end or down tube shifters)
>
> Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated, Bob

What model are your 105 shifters? The later ones (55XX series) are double/triple - the older ones
(1055 series) are not. You'll may be able to find a used 1055 single left triple shifter, but it
would be easier to get a new set of current model nine speed Tiagras or 105's

For loaded touring you'll probably need lower gearing than a 30 chainring and 26 large sprocket. You
may want to consider a "compact" 46-36-26 crankset rather than the 52-42-30

IMHO you should replace both the dérailleurs - you can use a rear short cage, but you'll either have
a lot of chain sag in the small ring/smallest sprocket(s) or an interesting experience when you
inadvertently try to use the big ring/largest sprocket

> > I just put a double chain ring set-up on it. Now I'm thinking that I
> would like to
> > do some loaded touring and would like to put a triple on
> it. I have an
> > Ultegra triple (30-42-52) stored away from another bike
> and would like
> > to use it if possible. The trouble is that it's for a 9
> speed chain
> > and my (existing) cassette is an 8 speed.
> >
> > Here's the existing component group: 105 cranks, Double (39-26) Ultegra front deraileur
> > (designed for a double) Ultegra rear deraileur (not a long cage) 8 speed cassette, 13-26 XT rear
> > hub, 105 STI shifters
> >
> > What I would like to do: Convert to a triple (hopefully using the 9 speed Triple
> cranks that I
> > already have. Is this possible or will I have to buy
> another set of
> > triple cranks?

Just to point something out to you, your current set-up of 39/26 front and 13-26 rear offers you
much lower gearing suitable for touring than you would have with 52/42/30 on the front. It seems to
me that if you switched to a triple you'd just be spending money to have a less satisfactory touring
bike. Suggestion: Swap your 39 tooth chainring for a 42 and then you'll have a nice cruising gear
and a nice low gear for hills. That's about all you need to tour.

Rob Strickland

The 26 was a typo. The chainrings are 39/53.

Thanks, RDW

>
>
> Just to point something out to you, your current set-up of 39/26 front and 13-26 rear offers you
> much lower gearing suitable for touring than you would have with 52/42/30 on the front.

I bought an older Giant Option ATB from a pawn shop about three years ago, that had 26 3/8" wheels
and set up as a 10-speed. Now I have a CPI triple (48-38-28) and an 8-speed cassette (12-28). I'm
using the original BB (adj.cup), 124mm spindle, (the only original part besides the frame & stem),
Tourney shifters & derailers (6-speed), Alivio brakes, Schwinn brake levers (with bobbed "safety"
levers to clear the handlebar bag), a Brooks B-66 Champion, and the drop bars off the wife's old
Raleigh Record, and a Weinmann 700C wheelset with 35mm tires. Truly a Heinz 57, but quiet, smooth,
and comfortable. My point, I reckon, is if ya put whatever you want on it, and it works, do it. Try
it and see....

Robert Warren wrote:

> 8 speed cassette, 13-26

For touring you ought to replace that cassette too. If you can put on at 11-32/34, you could get
away with just two chainrings, the 30-42 of your ultegra, and avoid the need for a new STI. Or put
on a compact triple and get some serious mountain gears.

> -Is it possible to make the existing rear deraileur work or is a long cage necessary?

If you can avoid the small-small gear combinations, you might get away with it.

> -Is it possible to buy just a left side triple STI shifter? (I prefer sti's over bar-end or down
> tube shifters)

But you dont use the left so much. How much are you willing to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.