Converting from Quill Stem to Threadless

Russell Seaton writes:

>>> But can't this be easily eliminated by just undoing the quill bolt
>>> in your quill stem once a year with a 6mm Allen key and getting a
>>> stick of wood and smacking the top of the Allen key to loosen the
>>> cone or wedge in the fork steerer.

>> I think what Brandt is saying is that over time when inserting the
>> quill stem at the same depth in the steering column, a bulge could
>> occur over time. I have heard of this happening, but never seen a
>> column with a bulge. To me, one would have to really torque the
>> steel wedge or conical cone to get the steel column to distort a
>> bulge. A lot depends on the thickness of the column tubing.

> No. What Mr. Brandt is saying is:

> Mr. Brandt is talking about corrosion welding the quill stem inside
> the steerer. Eliminated by not allowing the quill to weld inside
> the steerer by just pulling it out once or twice a year and
> re-greasing it. The beginning weld is broken.

There is no welding. The contact is a high pressure interface with
aluminum oxide expanding inside the steertube. Aluminum oxide cannot
be welded to steel. That is why sawing off the stem just above the
steertube, boring it out and breaking through one side with a Dremel
tool releases the pressure fit and the remains pull out easily.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:
> Mr. Brandt is talking about corrosion welding the quill stem inside
> the steerer. Eliminated by not allwoing the quill to weld inside the
> steerer by just pulling it out once or twice a year and regreasing
> it. The beginning weld is broken.

It's worse than that.
Oxides are larger than metals. Corrosion there, between aluminum stem
and steel steerer, where the water runs in, will bulge the column.

That effect is over and above boneheads who tighten a cone in the
threaded area and other screwups. The effect to which Mr Brandt refers
is inherent to the system with moisture from above, not a user error.
(depending on how you define errors of omission and maintenance schedules)
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's worse than that.
> Oxides are larger than metals. Corrosion there, between aluminum stem and
> steel steerer, where the water runs in, will bulge the column.
>
> That effect is over and above boneheads who tighten a cone in the threaded
> area and other screwups. The effect to which Mr Brandt refers is inherent
> to the system with moisture from above, not a user error. (depending on
> how you define errors of omission and maintenance schedules)
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ok a corrosion/oxide problem between the aluminum stem and the
steel steerer. Why not coat the inside of the steering tube with an epoxy
type paint, which could be brushed on?

btw: I spoke with another frame builder about going with a threadless
headset.
He said I don't need to replace the steering column but instead to extend
it.
What he has done, is part the original steering column and make an ID
1.5" tube insert. He then cuts an extension piece of tubing to match the
original column and brazes all three pieces together. And there you have a
strong, straight threadless steering column. No need to repaint the fork.
-tom