converting from triple ring to double ring

taita25

May 14, 2004
I'm fairly new to the cycling scene and would like some advice from those of you that are more experienced. I just recently purchased a road bike with a triple ring crank. It has Shimano 105 levers, front der, and a ultegra rear der. The crank is a brand I haven't heard of much (Cyclone?) but from what I've heard it's a lower end component. I have a chance to get a double ring ultegra crank with less than 500 miles on it for free but I don't know if it's compatible. I've heard that the 105 levers work with both a double and a triple but would I need to change anything else on the bike if I decided to switch out the crank? (i.e. rear der, front der, chain?) Is there a way to ajust the left shifter to only go to the two rings on the double? Any advice would be appreciated and if you need more info just let me know and I'll get it for you. Trying to be as thorough as possible. :)

Originally posted by taita25
I'm fairly new to the cycling scene and would like some advice from those of you that are more experienced. I just recently purchased a road bike with a triple ring crank. It has Shimano 105 levers, front der, and a ultegra rear der. The crank is a brand I haven't heard of much (Cyclone?) but from what I've heard it's a lower end component. I have a chance to get a double ring ultegra crank with less than 500 miles on it for free but I don't know if it's compatible. I've heard that the 105 levers work with both a double and a triple but would I need to change anything else on the bike if I decided to switch out the crank? (i.e. rear der, front der, chain?) Is there a way to ajust the left shifter to only go to the two rings on the double? Any advice would be appreciated and if you need more info just let me know and I'll get it for you. Trying to be as thorough as possible. :)

if youve got the crank already then youll just need a new bottom bracket and a front derailleur, the extra click is fine youll just be able to trim

Originally posted by fushman
if youve got the crank already then youll just need a new bottom bracket and a front derailleur, the extra click is fine youll just be able to trim
He doesn't really even neeed a new FD,and the extra click is not for trim.

Originally posted by taita25
You need a BB to go with the ultegra double crank.Shifter handles a double or triple.Use the granny and middle ring shifters positions for the double. www.parktool.com repair section has the skinny on derailer adjustment.

Originally posted by boudreaux
You need a BB to go with the ultegra double crank.Shifter handles a double or triple.Use the granny and middle ring shifters positions for the double. www.parktool.com repair section has the skinny on derailer adjustment.

I'm planning on converting from triple to double as well. Right now I have a triple Ultegra set-up: crankset,shifters, FD, and RD. Am I going to need a new FD and RD? I'm pretty sure the shifters are compatible with either a double or triple. The reason I ask is that Shimano makes a FD and RD for a double and a also for a triple. Does this mean I'll need to change what I currently have on?

I have a doubt about the Campy´s 9 speed down tube gear shifter. Will it work with a Campy triple crankset ?

The right lever is OK, but the left lever which handle the front mech ??

I did not find anything about this in the Campagnolo website. Does someone have any experience with Campy 9 spd down tube gear shifters ?

Thank you very much for the help. Lmcmarco

Originally posted by lmcmarco
I have a doubt about the Campy´s 9 speed down tube gear shifter. Will it work with a Campy triple crankset ?

The right lever is OK, but the left lever which handle the front mech ??

I did not find anything about this in the Campagnolo website. Does someone have any experience with Campy 9 spd down tube gear shifters ?

Thank you very much for the help. Lmcmarco
Campy towntube front work with double or triple.

Originally posted by JD-LOOK_KG-381
I'm planning on converting from triple to double as well. Right now I have a triple Ultegra set-up: crankset,shifters, FD, and RD. Am I going to need a new FD and RD? I'm pretty sure the shifters are compatible with either a double or triple. The reason I ask is that Shimano makes a FD and RD for a double and a also for a triple. Does this mean I'll need to change what I currently have on?
Triple front and rear derailers work with doubles.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Triple front and rear derailers work with doubles.

Thanks for the response. So why does Shimano make separate FD's and RD's for a double and a triple crank? Do you know if I'll need to make some adjustments to the derailleurs because they are for a "triple" crank? I guess I can always ask a LBS but I want to avoid being 'sold' into buying new derailleurs. Please let me know if you or someone you know have successfully made this conversion without having any compatibility problems. Thanks.

Thanks for the response. So why does Shimano make separate FD's and RD's for a double and a triple crank? Do you know if I'll need to make some adjustments to the derailleurs because they are for a "triple" crank? I guess I can always ask a LBS but I want to avoid being 'sold' into buying new derailleurs. Please let me know if you or someone you know have successfully made this conversion without having any compatibility problems. Thanks.
The FD has to be readjusted for the double.Use the granny and middle ring positions in the shifter and block the shift to the non existant 3rd ring with the hi limit screw. The tirple RD is to wrap the extra chain teeth of the triple crankset. The triple FD is to handle the additional chainring effeciently.Both work with a double.

(I skipped to the end after the first few responses without reading all)

Well, I tend to be frugal by nature, so I'm thinking that you should just be able to replace the cranks with the double, then simply use the front derailleur limiting screws to allow only the two chainrings positions that allow the best chainline (most likely inner & middle, as previously mentioned).

In my experience I've pretty much always managed to make Shimano gear "cross-breed" - Including one example using a mid-'90's XTR derailleurs, with an Ultegra cogset & Dura Ace double cranks, on a Cannondale hardtail.

I would first experiment by simply installing the double cranks & determining if it can be made compatible (chainline & front der range).

The chief difference from a MTB rear derailleur is the cage length, & sometimes total extension range. This allows greater chain wrap & max cog capacity.
So, in general a MTB rear derailleur can usually handle large cogsets as well as smaller road-geared clusters.
Your stock derailleurs *should* work fine.

Your original front derailleur *should* also be fine, but may not have the correct swinging range.
Just try it first - It'll either line up or not.
*Be sure to dial out the limiter screws to allow maximum reach if necessary.

OK - That's the cheap way out - Swap in the cranks & just see if it's possible.

If not, you'll most likely need a different bottom bracket to get the cranks to line up right.

It's *possible* that you'll need to replace the derailleurs, but that seems unlikely.
Again, just check & see before you spend anymore $$, and then you'll know exactly what you'll need to buy.

Originally posted by Mity Mouse
(I skipped to the end after the first few responses without reading all)

Well, I tend to be frugal by nature, so I'm thinking that you should just be able to replace the cranks with the double, then simply use the front derailleur limiting screws to allow only the two chainrings positions that allow the best chainline (most likely inner & middle, as previously mentioned).

In my experience I've pretty much always managed to make Shimano gear "cross-breed" - Including one example using a mid-'90's XTR derailleurs, with an Ultegra cogset & Dura Ace double cranks, on a Cannondale hardtail.

I would first experiment by simply installing the double cranks & determining if it can be made compatible (chainline & front der range).

The chief difference from a MTB rear derailleur is the cage length, & sometimes total extension range. This allows greater chain wrap & max cog capacity.
So, in general a MTB rear derailleur can usually handle large cogsets as well as smaller road-geared clusters.
Your stock derailleurs *should* work fine.

Your original front derailleur *should* also be fine, but may not have the correct swinging range.
Just try it first - It'll either line up or not.
*Be sure to dial out the limiter screws to allow maximum reach if necessary.

OK - That's the cheap way out - Swap in the cranks & just see if it's possible.

If not, you'll most likely need a different bottom bracket to get the cranks to line up right.

It's *possible* that you'll need to replace the derailleurs, but that seems unlikely.
Again, just check & see before you spend anymore $$, and then you'll know exactly what you'll need to buy.

Thanks for the advice. I actually went to my bike shop and they said that I would need the new FD and RD and immediately pulled out the new Ultegra components that I would need. Biut after some more questioning, they realized that I had the benefit of consulting with unbaised riders (like yourself) and they finally caved and said that technically, it could be done with the triple derailleurs I have. But, they did say that I may run into finicky shifting. Has anyone successfully done this conversion and have had no problems?

Thanks for the advice. I actually went to my bike shop and they said that I would need the new FD and RD and immediately pulled out the new Ultegra components that I would need. Biut after some more questioning, they realized that I had the benefit of consulting with unbaised riders (like yourself) and they finally caved and said that technically, it could be done with the triple derailleurs I have. But, they did say that I may run into finicky shifting. Has anyone successfully done this conversion and have had no problems?
Like the guy sed.Ya got the parts,so just try it and see what happens.Assuming you know how to adjust it properly.