converting from tube to break shifters

RowRunBike

Jul 16, 2004
Hi,

I have a nice mid 80's road bike (Medici pro strada w columbus tubing) that I'd like to convert to break shifters. It has an 8 speed shimano 600 group. The rear derailer is an older 105, I'm picking up a 600 rear derailer for the sake of uniformity.

My question is, whats the best break shifters to use for this upgrade. What kind of compatibility issues do I have to look for. I've been told I can have more speeds on the shifters than on the R derialer/casette, but not the other way around,is this true? My first choice would be 600 break shifters, but I hear they are hard to find as they were only made a couple years before they became ultegra. I'd like to get the shifters and cables for under $100. Any suggestions?

Thanks

RowRunBike said:
Hi,

I have a nice mid 80's road bike (Medici pro strada w columbus tubing) that I'd like to convert to break shifters. It has an 8 speed shimano 600 group. The rear derailer is an older 105, I'm picking up a 600 rear derailer for the sake of uniformity.

My question is, whats the best break shifters to use for this upgrade. What kind of compatibility issues do I have to look for. I've been told I can have more speeds on the shifters than on the R derialer/casette, but not the other way around,is this true? My first choice would be 600 break shifters, but I hear they are hard to find as they were only made a couple years before they became ultegra. I'd like to get the shifters and cables for under $100. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shimano 8 speed shifters,non dura Ace. RD 'speed' is irrevalent. shifter and cassette speed have to match. Your better bet is a 9 speed cassette, chain and shifters,assuming your rear hub is hyperglide 8/9 compatible,rather than uniglide.

RowRunBike said:
Hi,

Thanks

The Shimano st3300 shifters work well for me and sould be compatible with your setup.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=3047&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/controls/shifters/Shimano/PRD_28084_2511crx.aspx

Thanks, for the advice. I'm in a bit over my head but It will be a good learning experience. I'd like to go 9 speed but cost is an issue eventually. I also want to try to keep the group as uniform as possible as to retain it's vintage appeal. This bike is going to be a spare so that I can take some rower friends out and hopefully get them hooked enough to buy their own.

RowRunBike said:
I also want to try to keep the group as uniform as possible as to retain it's vintage appeal.
Nice sediment,but nonsense as for practicality.

boudreaux said:
Shimano 8 speed shifters,non dura Ace. RD 'speed' is irrevalent. shifter and cassette speed have to match. Your better bet is a 9 speed cassette, chain and shifters,assuming your rear hub is hyperglide 8/9 compatible,rather than uniglide.
Hi,

When you say non Dura Ace is that for price reasons or compatability? Also, some people have been saying you can use a triple shifter on a double, is this true or should it be avoided?

RowRunBike said:
Hi,

When you say non Dura Ace is that for price reasons or compatability? Also, some people have been saying you can use a triple shifter on a double, is this true or should it be avoided?
Compatibility...A triple shifter will obviously also shift a double.