Converting front V- to mech. disc brakes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zilla, May 14, 2003.

  1. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc. I know my fork supports
    the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim and hub, and that my current brake lever will
    work. However, my front brake lever is on the left side (common set up). How would I route my brake
    cable? A picture would be great...

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc. I know my fork
    > supports the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim

    You don't _need_ a disc specific rim by a long shot.

    > and hub, and that my current brake lever will work. However, my front brake lever is on the left
    > side (common set up). How would I route my brake cable? A picture would be great...

    Straight down?

    Shaun aRe

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    > Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc. I know my fork
    > > supports the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim
    >
    > You don't _need_ a disc specific rim by a long shot.
    >
    > > and hub, and that my current brake lever will work. However, my front brake lever is on the left
    > > side (common set up). How would I route my brake cable? A picture would be great...
    >
    > Straight down?
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    Sorry, I meant disc-specific "wheel", or at least a disc-"capable" rim and just add the disc hubs
    and spokes. My current front rim has only 20 holes so it won't do...

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc. I know my fork
    > > > supports the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim
    > >
    > > You don't _need_ a disc specific rim by a long shot.
    > >
    > > > and hub, and that my current brake lever will work. However, my front brake lever is on the
    > > > left side (common set up). How would I route my brake cable? A picture would be great...
    > >
    > > Straight down?
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > Sorry, I meant disc-specific "wheel", or at least a disc-"capable" rim and just add the disc hubs
    > and spokes. My current front rim has only 20 holes so it won't do...

    OK - gotcha. Still don't get your routing problem though?

    Shaun aRe

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc.

    Good choice. Not expensive.

    > I know my fork supports the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim and hub,

    Lots of front disc wheels to be had on sale from various online merchants right now. Pick your
    quality level, there's a wheel on sale.

    > and that my current brake lever will work.

    Yes.

    > However, my front brake lever is on the left side (common set up). How would I route my brake
    > cable? A picture would be great...

    You run the brake cable housing from the lever down to the Avid caliper. Cable goes inside of it.
    You can use a zip tie around the fork crown to secure the brake cable housing to the fork, if you
    like. Leave a little bit of slack for a nice smooth arc of cable. I used shifter cable housing
    instead of brake cable housing. It's nice and stiff, for maximum stopping power. Also, it doesn't
    flap around as much as the more flexible brake cable housing. Either type should work just fine.
    You'll want to get the kind of brake cable housing that bike shops sell by the foot - with the moly
    disulfide low-friction plastic liner, *not* the department store type without a liner.

    -Barry