Converting front V- to mech. disc brakes

Zilla

Guest
I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc. I know my fork supports
the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim and hub, and that my current brake lever will
work. However, my front brake lever is on the left side (common set up). How would I route my brake
cable? A picture would be great...

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc. I know my fork
> supports the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim

You don't _need_ a disc specific rim by a long shot.

> and hub, and that my current brake lever will work. However, my front brake lever is on the left
> side (common set up). How would I route my brake cable? A picture would be great...

Straight down?

Shaun aRe

> Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc. I know my fork
> > supports the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim
>
> You don't _need_ a disc specific rim by a long shot.
>
> > and hub, and that my current brake lever will work. However, my front brake lever is on the left
> > side (common set up). How would I route my brake cable? A picture would be great...
>
> Straight down?
>

> Shaun aRe

Sorry, I meant disc-specific "wheel", or at least a disc-"capable" rim and just add the disc hubs
and spokes. My current front rim has only 20 holes so it won't do...

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Zilla <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc. I know my fork
> > > supports the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim
> >
> > You don't _need_ a disc specific rim by a long shot.
> >
> > > and hub, and that my current brake lever will work. However, my front brake lever is on the
> > > left side (common set up). How would I route my brake cable? A picture would be great...
> >
> > Straight down?
> >

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Sorry, I meant disc-specific "wheel", or at least a disc-"capable" rim and just add the disc hubs
> and spokes. My current front rim has only 20 holes so it won't do...

OK - gotcha. Still don't get your routing problem though?

Shaun aRe

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking (for now) of coverting my front V-brake to an Avid mech. disc.

Good choice. Not expensive.

> I know my fork supports the mounts, and I'll need a new disc-specific rim and hub,

Lots of front disc wheels to be had on sale from various online merchants right now. Pick your
quality level, there's a wheel on sale.

> and that my current brake lever will work.

Yes.

> However, my front brake lever is on the left side (common set up). How would I route my brake
> cable? A picture would be great...

You run the brake cable housing from the lever down to the Avid caliper. Cable goes inside of it.
You can use a zip tie around the fork crown to secure the brake cable housing to the fork, if you
like. Leave a little bit of slack for a nice smooth arc of cable. I used shifter cable housing
instead of brake cable housing. It's nice and stiff, for maximum stopping power. Also, it doesn't
flap around as much as the more flexible brake cable housing. Either type should work just fine.
You'll want to get the kind of brake cable housing that bike shops sell by the foot - with the moly
disulfide low-friction plastic liner, *not* the department store type without a liner.

-Barry