Converting front wheel to a rear wheel - opinions

Kestrel12

Feb 4, 2006
Ok so here is my current dilemma.

I have a front cosmic carbone wheel that I purchased during my triathlon days. I have switched to road racing and have been hunting - for quite some time, for a second hand matching rear wheel, without luck, for use in races.

I frequently see front wheels, mavics, heds zipps, etc. posted on ebay and the thought struck me about purchasing another front wheel and changing the hub to a rear hub thus giving me the rear wheel I need.

Before doing this I would like to here from anyone who has completed a similar modification? Does anyone know whether this is a wise move or whether - apart from (in some cases) fewer spokes.

Any assistance or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Kestrel12 said:
Ok so here is my current dilemma.

I have a front cosmic carbone wheel that I purchased during my triathlon days. I have switched to road racing and have been hunting - for quite some time, for a second hand matching rear wheel, without luck, for use in races.

I frequently see front wheels, mavics, heds zipps, etc. posted on ebay and the thought struck me about purchasing another front wheel and changing the hub to a rear hub thus giving me the rear wheel I need.

Before doing this I would like to here from anyone who has completed a similar modification? Does anyone know whether this is a wise move or whether - apart from (in some cases) fewer spokes.
Wasn't the matching rear also a 16 spoke wheel at one time?

Regardless, if you are simply cannibalizing a front wheel for the rim, then I don't see why you couldn't AS LONG AS you are willing to (possibly/probably) live with a lower spoke count on the rear than found on the current iterations of the Carbone wheelset...

The spokes to consider tracking down are the ones from the Shimano WH-7700 since they are, I think, a humongous 13g (to partially compensate for the low spoke count) ... the length becomes problematic, however.

FWIW. This is a point of differing opinions, but I would recommend that with the lower spoke count, you opt for 14g, non-butted spokes ... for better lateral stiffness. Those who like to parrot what they remember reading elsewhere will suggest double-butted spokes ...

I am pretty sure that you see more front wheels because the rear wheels are more likely to get trashed. I see no problem at all in buying a front wheel to take the rim except for the lower spoke count as you mentioned.

Other than spoke drilling, for most wheelsets (some newer campy sets aside) the rims are otherwise identical.