Converting Hybrid (with mtb components) to Bullhorn bars (with road components)

danjorourke

Sep 17, 2009
I'm looking to convert my Trek 7.3 FX Hybrid bike's riser handlebars to Bullhorn bars. I have tried to fit my current MTB brake and gear shifters to the flats on a Bullhorn handlebar but the cables are too short.

Is it possible to buy bar end brake levers and gear shifters that will be compatible with my current gears (Shimano Deore), and V Brakes?

Cheers

danjorourke said:
I'm looking to convert my Trek 7.3 FX Hybrid bike's riser handlebars to Bullhorn bars. I have tried to fit my current MTB brake and gear shifters to the flats on a Bullhorn handlebar but the cables are too short.

Is it possible to buy bar end brake levers and gear shifters that will be compatible with my current gears (Shimano Deore), and V Brakes?
Is it the cables which are too short OR the diameter of the "clamps" on the components which won't fit?

If it is simply the cables, then buy some additional housing + new cable(s).

Bullhorn bars are considered to be ROAD bars, so THAT is the reason the diameter is larger than the diameter found on MTB handlebars AND why your components don't seem to fit.

There ARE ways (i.e., components) to use ROAD bars on your Hybrid.

BTW. Did you mean "drop" bars?

danjorourke said:

Cheers

The functional difference between bullhorns and a flat bar with longish bar ends is entirely marginal, and considerably easier to achieve than a switch to "pure" bullhorns. If you have an aversion to clamp-on bar ends there are MTB bars that have a forward extension built-in.
If it's like alfeng suspects, that you're actually talking about drop bars, then there are a few brake levers that can cope with the cable pull of V-brakes. Or, you can use travel agents. Shimano bar end shifters will interface fine with your current RD, as long as they're intended for the same number of gears. If you run the front shifter in friction mode it should be able to cope with the FD as well.
Or you can get a flat bar and stick drop bar ends on it. If you were intending to run the shifters on the flat this should work out fine for you anyhow.

Do a search for "drop bar conversion" and you should find plenty to read.

Thanks for the advice on this both- I wasn't referring to drops as I prefer the bullhorns/ tt bar style. I have found a kind of middle ground by moving my bar ends and brake/gear shifters closer to the stem and cut the excess off the ends- giving me a new bar width of 44 cm.

From this position, I'm able to lean forward onto the bar ends and brake whilst on them and also change gear without too much movement as the shifters are closer to my hands on the bar ends.

I'm planning to wrap some bar tape on the flats and bar ends to make it more comfortable. I might end up fitting bullhorns with bar end brakes and shifters in the end, but for now this set up serves my purpose pretty well without spending £200+ for new shifters and bar end brakes.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions

hi
new here.
has anyone actually managed to convert from flat bars to bull horns on a hybrid bike? I've been told by my doctor I need to change my hands position and the extensions/bar ends are not really an option... greatful for any suggestions. thanks

Originally Posted by sillyredhead26 .

has anyone actually managed to convert from flat bars to bull horns on a hybrid bike? I've been told by my doctor I need to change my hands position and the extensions/bar ends are not really an option...
People do replace Flat Bars with "Road" handlebars all of the time ...

FWIW. Here is an example of one of my bikes as it was configured sevreral years ago ...

The pictured bike happens to be a MTB frame, but I had previously installed a Kestrel Carbon Fiber fork on a Marin Hybrid frame + similar components ...

With a Hybrid conversion, the handlebars will not be as low relative to the saddle as what you see pictured on the MTB conversion even if you were to put a Road fork on your Hybrid frame.

YOU just need to decide what handlebar bend you want + install a set of [COLOR= #ff0000]non-QS[/COLOR] (i.e., non-Xenon-based) [COLOR= #ff0000]CAMPAGNOLO 10-speed shifters [/COLOR]to achieve either 8-or-9-speed Shimano indexing with Shimano derailleurs.

Campagnolo shifters will index with ALMOST ANY front derailleur from almost any vintage ...

Shimano & SRAM Road shifters are not as forgiving.