converting multi-speed wheelset to SS?

Chuck Liu

Guest
Hi, what is the easiest way to convert a 126mm wheelset that takes a
6/7speed freewheel into a single speed wheelset? Thanks.

"Chuck Liu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:c_y9a.373101$be.343841@rwcrnsc53...
> Hi, what is the easiest way to convert a 126mm wheelset that takes a
> 6/7speed freewheel into a single speed wheelset? Thanks.

Remove your multiple freewheel and screw on the single Move some of the axle spacers from the right
side to the left side to get the chainline correct. Now you can recenter the rim over the locknuts
and your right/left spoke tension will be more even.

Chuck Liu <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, what is the easiest way to convert a 126mm wheelset that takes a
> 6/7speed freewheel into a single speed wheelset? Thanks.

If you're crazy like me, you can use a multispeed freewheel with a cog that gives a good chainline
(probably about the 3rd from smallest). For extra credit, one can remove the unused big cogs from
the freewheel.

Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> If you're crazy like me, you can use a multispeed freewheel with a cog that gives a good chainline
> (probably about the 3rd from smallest). For extra credit, one can remove the unused big cogs from
> the freewheel.

thats not crazy. thrifty, maybe. but not crazy.

if you have a chainwhip, you can generally do quite a bit of freewheel customization, for both
aesthetic and functional (chainline) reasons.

"Chuck Liu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:c_y9a.373101$be.343841@rwcrnsc53...
| Hi, what is the easiest way to convert a 126mm wheelset that takes a
| 6/7speed freewheel into a single speed wheelset? Thanks.

1. replace your freewheel with a BMX freewheel, and redish the wheel to have a straight chainline.
2. remove all cogs from your 6/7 speed freewheel but one, and use it as a SS freewheel. You might
not have to redish the wheel. (this alternative is not on Sheldon Brown's web site)

>2. remove all cogs from your 6/7 speed freewheel but one, and use it as a SS freewheel. You might
> not have to redish the wheel. (this alternative is not on Sheldon Brown's web site)

He covers this in the cassette section. But why waste a good 6 or 7 speed FW? I use the 5 speed
Suntours (or clones) I get off dumpster bikes. Of course it helps a lot if you can get by on a
17 or 20 tooth cog. You'll need a couple freewheels, chainwhips, some penetrating oil wouldn't
hurt either.

Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

Chuck-<< Hi, what is the easiest way to convert a 126mm wheelset that takes a
6/7speed freewheel into a single speed wheelset?

Take the freewheel off, spin on a single speed freewheel.....

For chainline, mount the single ring onto the inside of the crank.

If vertical dropouts, get a chain tensioner or make one outta a rder.

(7)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Pete Geurds wrote:

> He covers this in the cassette section. But why waste a good 6 or 7 speed FW? I use the 5 speed
> Suntours (or clones) I get off dumpster bikes.

Right! That's what I have on my Hercules and on my fixed-gear tandem.

See: http://sheldonbrown.org/hercules.html

and: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycle.html#piccio

(though I don't believe I've ever actually _ridden_ the tandem with the wheel turned to the
freewheel side...)

> Of course it helps a lot if you can get by on a 17 or 20 tooth cog.

If the cogs are worn, you can flip 'em over and use the unworn side of the teeth, too!

Sheldon "Recycler" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------+
| ...what is hailed as a new style or a new school | in literature often consists of doing as a
| novelty | what a Victorian did long ago as a joke. | -- G.K. Chesterton |
+-------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

What can you do with a chain whip? Thanks...

"ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > If you're crazy like me, you can use a multispeed freewheel with a cog that gives a good
> > chainline (probably about the 3rd from smallest). For extra credit, one can remove the unused
> > big cogs from the freewheel.
>
> thats not crazy. thrifty, maybe. but not crazy.
>
> if you have a chainwhip, you can generally do quite a bit of freewheel customization, for both
> aesthetic and functional (chainline) reasons.

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 02:01:23 +0000, Chuck Liu did issue forth:

> What can you do with a chain whip? Thanks...

Take freewheels off, take cassettes off, take freewheels apart...

Huw Pritchard writes:

>> What can you do with a chain whip?

> Take freewheels off, take cassettes off, take freewheels apart...

Not so. It is used to unscrew sprockets from freewheels that had screwed on sprockets that got
tighter the longer they were ridden. A pair of these levers, with a bicycle chain attached to
the nose is engaged in opposite directions on a freewheel cluster to unscrew one sprocket from
the others.

http://lousbikes.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=563

I have this freewheel... do you think it's worth it to tear it apart for a SS?

> Huw Pritchard writes:
>
> >> What can you do with a chain whip?
>
> > Take freewheels off, take cassettes off, take freewheels apart...
>
> Not so. It is used to unscrew sprockets from freewheels that had screwed on sprockets that got
> tighter the longer they were ridden. A pair of these levers, with a bicycle chain attached to
> the nose is engaged in opposite directions on a freewheel cluster to unscrew one sprocket from
> the others.
>
> http://lousbikes.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=563

Chuck Liu <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have this freewheel... do you think it's worth it to tear it apart for a SS?

Absolutely not, they are no longer made and highly prized. I hate to recommend this, but you could
sell the damn thing on ebay (or r.b.marketplace) and buy several SS freewheels with the proceeds,
and make somebody who wants a good 7s freewheel happy (and poorer).

"Chuck Liu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:c_y9a.373101$be.343841@rwcrnsc53...
> Hi, what is the easiest way to convert a 126mm wheelset that takes a
> 6/7speed freewheel into a single speed wheelset? Thanks.

cut gear cables.

if weight reduction is important, remove front and rear mech's. adjust chainlength and
wheel position.

next step remove unused chainring.

swap multi-sprocket freewheel for single freewheel or track sprocket. Use chainwheel in
inner position.

Centre hub on axle. Adjust spokes to recentre rim.

TJ