Converting Rear Cassette Wheel to Front

I have a Hed rear wheel with a Shimano cassette; can I convert this to
a front wheel by removing the cassette body, changing the axel, and
using the appropriate spacers to center the wheel in the front fork?

Thanks--

Don

"[email protected]" wrote:

> I have a Hed rear wheel with a Shimano cassette; can I convert this to
> a front wheel by removing the cassette body, changing the axel, and
> using the appropriate spacers to center the wheel in the front fork?
>
> Thanks--
>
> Don

no, the right hand hub bearing is part of the freehub
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On 11 May 2005 06:14:03 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Hed rear wheel with a Shimano cassette; can I convert this to
>a front wheel by removing the cassette body, changing the axel, and
>using the appropriate spacers to center the wheel in the front fork?

First off, the cassette body contains the bearing on the right side.
Removing it also removes the bearing. Second, although I'm not
familiar with the Hed specifically, most rear wheels are set up to fit
in a wider space than a front fork provides, and the nicest of the
Heds (assuming we're speaking of one of the nifty three-spoke ones,
for example) can't be recentered to take out the dish in any event.
For those, you can't even relace the rim to a front hub.

As I said, I'm not familiar with the Hed's specifics, but I'd be
*very* surprised if what you propose was possible at all.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:

<Second, although I'm not
familiar with the Hed specifically, most rear wheels are set up to fit
in a wider space than a front fork provides, and the nicest of the
Heds (assuming we're speaking of one of the nifty three-spoke ones,
for example) can't be recentered to take out the dish in any event.>

The screw-on, non-cassette HED wheels can interchange axle kits to run
f/r. Looked briefly for HED info (hedcycling.com), didn't see specifics
there. There is or was a HED track axle and spacer kit that gives you
solid axle, track nuts (captive washer) and male/female thread "track
adapter" that screws on to the hub and has threads for cogs "located"
to position the cog for appropriate track chainline. They also make a
dedicated track disc (rear) that apparently has a reverse-thread
lockring that the "track adapter" lacks.

ebay pic: http://tinyurl.com/amfpw

There's an inset photo there that's pretty clear. Didn't see any photos
on the HED site. --TP