converting rear disk brake to block brake

Jeremy Watts

Guest
Hi,

I have a standard adult mountain bike (26'' wheels) and both wheels have
fitted disk brakes. Thing is I want to convert the rear brake to a block
brake, but the frame doesnt have the fittings that are usually welded to the
frame to accept those V-type caliper things that block brakes use.

Is there any way around this? Maybe this is a daft question I dont know,
but I'm after a product that maybe is in existence that doesnt need those
welded on fittings to work? Any advice?

Jeremy

On Oct 19, 11:18 am, "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a standard adult mountain bike (26'' wheels) and both wheels have
> fitted disk brakes. Thing is I want to convert the rear brake to a block
> brake, but the frame doesnt have the fittings that are usually welded to the
> frame to accept those V-type caliper things that block brakes use.
>
> Is there any way around this? Maybe this is a daft question I dont know,
> but I'm after a product that maybe is in existence that doesnt need those
> welded on fittings to work? Any advice?
>
> Jeremy

Another daft question for your daft question. Why? There's nothing
wrong with disk brakes.

"Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I have a standard adult mountain bike (26'' wheels) and both wheels have
> fitted disk brakes. Thing is I want to convert the rear brake to a block
> brake, but the frame doesnt have the fittings that are usually welded to
> the frame to accept those V-type caliper things that block brakes use.
>
> Is there any way around this? Maybe this is a daft question I dont know,
> but I'm after a product that maybe is in existence that doesnt need those
> welded on fittings to work? Any advice?

Maybe you could adapt something similar to this concept -
http://njsframes.blogspot.com/2007/08/front-clamp-on-brake-kit-for-keirin.html.
But I'd stick with the disks.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Jeremy Watts said the following on 19/10/2007 17:18:
> Hi,
>
> I have a standard adult mountain bike (26'' wheels) and both wheels have
> fitted disk brakes. Thing is I want to convert the rear brake to a block
> brake, but the frame doesnt have the fittings that are usually welded to the
> frame to accept those V-type caliper things that block brakes use.
>
> Is there any way around this? Maybe this is a daft question I dont know,
> but I'm after a product that maybe is in existence that doesnt need those
> welded on fittings to work? Any advice?

Why on earth would you want to do this?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Oct 20, 1:13 am, "OzCableguy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Hi,

> > I have a standard adult mountain bike (26'' wheels) and both wheels have
> > fitted disk brakes. Thing is I want to convert the rear brake to a block
> > brake, but the frame doesnt have the fittings that are usually welded to
> > the frame to accept those V-type caliper things that block brakes use.

> > Is there any way around this? Maybe this is a daft question I dont know,
> > but I'm after a product that maybe is in existence that doesnt need those
> > welded on fittings to work? Any advice?

> Maybe you could adapt something similar to this concept -http://njsframes.blogspot.com/2007/08/front-clamp-on-brake-kit-for-ke....
> But I'd stick with the disks.
>
> --www.ozcableguy.comwww.oztechnologies.com

There's these gimmicks too, though they look they're made for MTB
forks:

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.asp?catID=3&subcat=439

If your frame is steel, you could always have the posts brazed on....

/s