Converting Ridgeback to Drop down bars

Tahirh

Mar 28, 2005
Hi,

Can someone offer me some insight into what type of components I need to convert my Ridgeback Day 00 to drop down bars.

Its 24 speed, with 8 rings on back and three at front - What type of gear shifters will I need for this? Can someone tell me what 'flight deck compatible' means?

Can someone recommend some bars, nothing to fancy just entry level. I have been told that I may need to lengthen the arm holding the handlebar, is this true?

Has anyone done this before and can give me some instructions.

I am not looking to spend too much, I just want to start up cycling and get a feel. Rather then spending a load on a new bike I just want to convert me ridgeback.

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tahir

Tahirh said:
Hi,

Can someone offer me some insight into what type of components I need to convert my Ridgeback Day 00 to drop down bars.

Its 24 speed, with 8 rings on back and three at front - What type of gear shifters will I need for this? Can someone tell me what 'flight deck compatible' means?

Can someone recommend some bars, nothing to fancy just entry level. I have been told that I may need to lengthen the arm holding the handlebar, is this true?

Has anyone done this before and can give me some instructions.

I am not looking to spend too much, I just want to start up cycling and get a feel. Rather then spending a load on a new bike I just want to convert me ridgeback.

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tahir
Anything is possible if you spend enough money. You also need to have a pretty good clue what you are doing,which given the questions you are asking,you don't. You can buy an inexpensive road bike for less. That's how I'd do it if in your shoes....Sora 8 speed shifters(triple specific) will work and can be had for about $100. You will also need a new stem and bars and a minimum of a front derailer.Your crankset may be less than ideal for road use too,and changing that would likely involve a new bottom bracket....At best you will still end up with a mess,as the frame is just not intended tor real road use.

can you answer my questions though?

boudreaux said:
Anything is possible if you spend enough money. You also need to have a pretty good clue what you are doing,which given the questions you are asking,you don't. You can buy an inexpensive road bike for less. That's how I'd do it if in your shoes....Sora 8 speed shifters(triple specific) will work and can be had for about $100. You will also need a new stem and bars and a minimum of a front derailer.Your crankset may be less than ideal for road use too,and changing that would likely involve a new bottom bracket....At best you will still end up with a mess,as the frame is just not intended tor real road use.

Sorry last e-mail wasnt for you.

Thanks for your help, the bike is a Ridgeback Genesis Day 0, what do you think? Is this frame possibe to have as a road bike?

Why the front drailer?

Tahirh said:
can you answer my questions though?
Did you read it all? I'm not gonna write a book, especially since I don't have your bike in front of me or the ability to see you on it. Things called variables you know. www.paktool.com repair section has lots of instructions as do new parts. Alot of this stuss is somewhat detailed.Park aslo has the skinny on tools required. The maintenance book by Zinn is good for that too.....I'll say it again. Cut your losses and frustration and just buy an inexpensive bike.

Tahirh said:
Why the front drailer?
Difference between road and mtb/hybrid stuff. Altho without knowing specific FD there is a chance you don't.They are relatively cheap anyway.

Tahirh said:
thanks, i like a challenge.

Tahirh, I'm trying to do the same thing to a Trek 7300sx. I was able to use
the stock stem with a set of Salsa Bell Laps.
http://www.roadbikereview.com/Handlebars/Salsa+Cycles/PRD_50028_2498crx.aspx

I bought a pair of Sora ST-3303 shifting break levers and cables. The breaks front and back and rear derailleur work fine but the front shifter will not push the front derailleur (Nexave triple) out far enough to engage the middle chainring let alone the outer ring.

I have posted a question related to this problem on this site and I am running up to my LBS in a minute to see what they have to say about the component mismatch.

lwedge said:
Tahirh, I'm trying to do the same thing to a Trek 7300sx. I was able to use
the stock stem with a set of Salsa Bell Laps.
http://www.roadbikereview.com/Handlebars/Salsa+Cycles/PRD_50028_2498crx.aspx

I bought a pair of Sora ST-3303 shifting break levers and cables. The breaks front and back and rear derailleur work fine but the front shifter will not push the front derailleur (Nexave triple) out far enough to engage the middle chainring let alone the outer ring.

I have posted a question related to this problem on this site and I am running up to my LBS in a minute to see what they have to say about the component mismatch.
If the stock stem has a 25.4 clamp and the bars are 26.0, it's a no-no. And I gave you the skinny on the FD.

boudreaux said:
If the stock stem has a 25.4 clamp and the bars are 26.0, it's a no-no. And I gave you the skinny on the FD.

Thanks again Boudreaux, that's exactly what I have. The gap is about enough to stick 2 or 3 playing cards in. I didn't think it would compromise the functionality much but since these are the handle bars we are talking about and they can create major body injury if they fail while riding. I will look for a stem with the proper clamp size. $ mo-money !

Thanks again.

I have recently done the same operation on a similiar bike a few months ago with no problems. The components i puchased were
1. sora 3 x 8 dual shifters
2. 25.4 mm drop bars
3. cork bar tape
4. 2 gear, 2 brake cables. Inners, outers and ferrules
5. Zinn & art of road bike maintenance.

I managed to carry out all work myself with no compatibility issues. My motivation for the change was the fact that I had never ridden with drop bars before and i wanted to try without spending to much money. I purchased all items for less than £100 mostly from e-bay. I would recommed that you make the change as I have not been disappointed and intend to buy a proper road bike next year.

Thanks,

I have the same motivating factor, I am an enthusiast cyclist but until this day have not riden on drop down bars. Although the Genesis pretty much is a road bike, it lacks the bars. So I want to give it a go before I invest in a road bike.

Taz

igp said:
I have recently done the same operation on a similiar bike a few months ago with no problems. The components i puchased were
1. sora 3 x 8 dual shifters
2. 25.4 mm drop bars
3. cork bar tape
4. 2 gear, 2 brake cables. Inners, outers and ferrules
5. Zinn & art of road bike maintenance.

I managed to carry out all work myself with no compatibility issues. My motivation for the change was the fact that I had never ridden with drop bars before and i wanted to try without spending to much money. I purchased all items for less than £100 mostly from e-bay. I would recommed that you make the change as I have not been disappointed and intend to buy a proper road bike next year.

Oh sorry, one more thing.

What type of stem did you use and what is the best length to have?

When choosing the width of the bars, do you use your shoulder to shoulder measurement?

Tahirh said:

The length(and rise) that is best for you,and type depends on whether you need threadless or threaded.

Tahirh said:

When choosing the width of the bars, do you use your shoulder to shoulder measurement?

When I converted my bike I used the original stem, hence the 25,4mm bars. The stem is a little short to give the complete road bike position but I'm happy with it and makes for a little more comfort. The bars should be roughly shoulder width I would advise going for a set that allows your chest to be more open rather than squashed.

Cheers

Well I have placed my order for the following:

1 x Easton Cork Tape - Black -

1 x Shimano Sora STI Gear/Brake Levers - 8 Speed Triple - -

1 x Cinelli Vai Road Stem - 135mm

1 x ITM Super 330 Road Bar - 46cm

fingers crossed now.

igp said:
When I converted my bike I used the original stem, hence the 25,4mm bars. The stem is a little short to give the complete road bike position but I'm happy with it and makes for a little more comfort. The bars should be roughly shoulder width I would advise going for a set that allows your chest to be more open rather than squashed.

Cheers

Tahirh said:
Well I have placed my order for the following:

1 x Easton Cork Tape - Black -

1 x Shimano Sora STI Gear/Brake Levers - 8 Speed Triple - -

1 x Cinelli Vai Road Stem - 135mm

1 x ITM Super 330 Road Bar - 46cm

fingers crossed now.

Cool, post a picture of your Ridgeback conversion when you finish.... Good Luck !

Finally its all done!! After having spent a good few hours on Saturday, I can happly say that I now have a smoothly operating bike with drop down bars. The conversion cost me just under £120, I kept the orignal stem on the bike as I found the one ordered was a bit too long.

All gears engage well, although when droping down from the big chain ring to the middle one, it sometimes sticks. I got a feeling I need to slacken the cable slightly, it just needs fine tuning.

I have to say its quite a different feeling riding with drop down bars. The position of the brake levers really take some getting use to. I am finding that my brakes aren't the greatest, they do struggle to slow the bike down. Can anyone recommend some good brake blocks and so calipers too?

Anyway here are a few photos, let me know your thoughts:

Tahirh, The bike looks great. I hope to have mine finished soon as well but I have one problem to work out. My front (mountain) derailleur requires 2 cm of cable travel to engage the 3 chain rings up or down. The Shimano ST3303 (road) break lever\shifter will only deliver 1.5+/-cm travel so I am unable to use the ST shifter with my Nexave FD.

Can you tell me what FD you are using. I can't see the cable routes well enough in the photos of you bike to tell if your FD is top pull or bottom.

Thanks and great job.