Converting Shamano to Campy

glens2422

Dec 26, 2006
I am putting my Campy Mirage Derailleur (front and back), cassette, and shifters on my girlfriends Fuji ( currently equipped with Shamano Sora ). I am wondering if anyones knows if the back hub on her wheels needs to be changed in order to put a Campy cassette on? I know I could just use the wheel from the bike with the Campy equipment on it, however I am trying to keep my cost low and I don't want to have to rebuilds a hub or buy a new wheel. Are there any other alternatives.

Thanks for your responses, Glen

glens2422 said:
I am putting my Campy Mirage Derailleur (front and back), cassette, and shifters on my girlfriends Fuji ( currently equipped with Shamano Sora ). I am wondering if anyones knows if the back hub on her wheels needs to be changed in order to put a Campy cassette on? I know I could just use the wheel from the bike with the Campy equipment on it, however I am trying to keep my cost low and I don't want to have to rebuilds a hub or buy a new wheel. Are there any other alternatives.
The Campagnolo & Shimano spline patterns are different.

Is your Mirage 8-speed or 9-speed?

If it is 8-speed, then you can continue to use the existing Shimano cassette on the existing wheel.

If the shifters are 9-speed, you can respace the cogs by shimming them ... someone (sorry, I just cannot remember who) made shims cut from aluminum soda-or-beer cans (~0.2mm) OR you can buy some Wheels Manufacturing conversion spacers which are essentially the same width as Shimano's 8-speed spacers [YES, I have set floating around here, somewhere!] ... that is, if you had a handful-and-a-half of Shimano 8-speed cog spacers, you could restack a 9-speed Shimano cassette with them to yield a 9-speed Campagnolo spaced cassette (hope that made sense).

alfeng said:
The Campagnolo & Shimano spline patterns are different.

Is your Mirage 8-speed or 9-speed?

If it is 8-speed, then you can continue to use the existing Shimano cassette on the existing wheel.

If the shifters are 9-speed, you can respace the cogs by shimming them ... someone (sorry, I just cannot remember who) made shims cut from aluminum soda-or-beer cans (~0.2mm) OR you can buy some Wheels Manufacturing conversion spacers which are essentially the same width as Shimano's 8-speed spacers [YES, I have set floating around here, somewhere!] ... that is, if you had a handful-and-a-half of Shimano 8-speed cog spacers, you could restack a 9-speed Shimano cassette with them to yield a 9-speed Campagnolo spaced cassette (hope that made sense).
It would probably be a whole lot easier(and less frustrating) to let your LBS figure it out than trying to decypher what Alfeng just said:D .