Converting Shimano 8 speed to 10 speed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by spd, Jan 26, 2006.

1. spd

spd New Member

I have a 97 Trek 5200 with 8 speed double and Shimano 600 components. The bike has ~30,000 miles on it and the shifters are worn out and need to be replaced.

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their Shimano 8 speed to 10 speed. My particular concern is whether you need to replace the cranks as well as the shifters, derailleurs, chain, and cassette. I’m thinking that the distance between the chain rings must be smaller on the 10 speed cranks than on the 8 speed cranks so it would probably be necessary to replace the cranks or could the 8 speed cranks be modified? (i.e. filed down)

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

The chain ring spacing and thickness are the same for 7,8,9, and 10 speed.

3. rek

rek New Member

No, the existing cranks will be fine.

If your existing derailleurs are in good shape, you don't need to change those over, either..

4. spd

spd New Member

I was told by a LBS that I would need to replace the front derailleur because the 10 speed cage is so much thinner than the 8 speed.

5. spd

spd New Member

You would think that the chain ring spacing would have to be closed together to accommodate the thinner chain since the thickness difference between an 8 speed and 10 speed chain is nearly 1mm.

6. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

You would think so, but it's not. You also don't need to replace your front derailleur.

7. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

What about the rear hub? Do you have to replace that as well or will the 10sp cassette fit? I'll assume that the answer for the 10sp will also translate to 9sp....

L

8. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

What about the rear hub? Do you have to replace that as well or will the 10sp cassette fit? I'll assume that the answer for the 10sp will also translate to 9sp....

L

9. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

All Shimano hubs with steel Hyperglide bodies are interchangeable. The rear derailleurs work for 8-9-10 as well.

10. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

All Shimano hubs with steel Hyperglide bodies are interchangeable. The rear derailleurs work for 8-9-10 as well.

11. frenk

frenk New Member

I'm using a complete 10sp shimano drivetrain (shifters, rear der, cassette, chain) with 8 speed cranks and front der.
    It works fine.

12. frenk

frenk New Member

I'm using a complete 10sp shimano drivetrain (shifters, rear der, cassette, chain) with 8 speed cranks and front der.
    It works fine.

13. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

SWEET. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. After I buy my new bike I'm going to be taking what's left over in the bike fund and upgrade the old Sora/Tiagra to 105/ultegra 9 speed for my wife but also as a back up bike. From the sounds of it (and if I wanted to go really cheap), all I might just have to get are the shifters and rear cassette. Hopefully I'll have enough $$$$ left over for the Power meter as well.

14. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

SWEET. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. After I buy my new bike I'm going to be taking what's left over in the bike fund and upgrade the old Sora/Tiagra to 105/ultegra 9 speed for my wife but also as a back up bike. From the sounds of it (and if I wanted to go really cheap), all I might just have to get are the shifters and rear cassette. Hopefully I'll have enough $$$$ left over for the Power meter as well.