Converting Shimano Hub to Campy

Catabolic_Jones

May 5, 2005
I'm just expecting some Shimano wheels soon (Mavic Ksyrium ES Helium) but now I'm thinking I might do a Campy Centaur build.

I'm wondering where I would order the necessary hub from?

I've heard Mavic also makes a special cassette to adapt to Campy but I'm not really interested in that option.

Catabolic_Jones said:
I'm just expecting some Shimano wheels soon (Mavic Ksyrium ES Helium) but now I'm thinking I might do a Campy Centaur build.

I'm wondering where I would order the necessary hub from?

I've heard Mavic also makes a special cassette to adapt to Campy but I'm not really interested in that option.

Stay away from the Mavic C-10 cogset, doesn't work as well as Campag. Go to a local bike shop that knows these things, hubs, wheels, etc. If nothing local, email me and I'll sell ya the Campag compatible FH body. .

If you're looking at a Centaur 10 spd group, a 10 spd Shimano cassette should work, spacing is almost identical.

I suppose you could change out the freehub spindle, but they can be a bear to get apart.

I've been using a Wheels Inc converted Shimano cassette on a Chorus 10 spd group. It worked out very well. 12-27, enough to see me up some pretty steep hills, and really cook coming down the other side.

JohnO said:
If you're looking at a Centaur 10 spd group, a 10 spd Shimano cassette should work, spacing is almost identical.

I suppose you could change out the freehub spindle, but they can be a bear to get apart.

I've been using a Wheels Inc converted Shimano cassette on a Chorus 10 spd group. It worked out very well. 12-27, enough to see me up some pretty steep hills, and really cook coming down the other side.
A minor correction -- the Shimano/-compatible 10-speed cassettes have a narrower spacing than 10-speed Campagnolo cassettes ...

The WHEELS MANUFACTURING cassette is modified 9-speed Shimano cassette ... I happen to have the (less expensive, Ultegra-based) 12-27 cassette, too! The smallest cog sits VERY CLOSE to the dropout ...

Choosing a WHEELS MANUFACTURING or AMERICAN CLASSIC Shimano-to-Campagnolo "conversion" cassette is a good option for most Shimano/-compatible wheels ... there is a conflict with the spokes on SOME wheels with the WHEELS MANUFACTURING conversion cassettes because they sit about 2mm (?) further inboard than normal.

I remember reading that the AMERICAN CLASSIC conversion cassettes did not shift as smoothly as the WHEELS MANUFACTURING, but I don't know why that would be. I presume the AMERICAN CLASSIC cassette is derived from a 105 cassette & has NINE individual spacers ... so, it could actually be better.

Another option is to simply use a 9-speed Shimano/-compatible cassette & forego the 10th "speed" ...

alfeng said:
A minor correction -- the Shimano/-compatible 10-speed cassettes have a narrower spacing than 10-speed Campagnolo cassettes ...

The WHEELS MANUFACTURING cassette is modified 9-speed Shimano cassette ... I happen to have the (less expensive, Ultegra-based) 12-27 cassette, too! The smallest cog sits VERY CLOSE to the dropout ...

Choosing a WHEELS MANUFACTURING or AMERICAN CLASSIC Shimano-to-Campagnolo "conversion" cassette is a good option for most Shimano/-compatible wheels ... there is a conflict with the spokes on SOME wheels with the WHEELS MANUFACTURING conversion cassettes because they sit about 2mm (?) further inboard than normal.

I remember reading that the AMERICAN CLASSIC conversion cassettes did not shift as smoothly as the WHEELS MANUFACTURING, but I don't know why that would be. I presume the AMERICAN CLASSIC cassette is derived from a 105 cassette & has NINE individual spacers ... so, it could actually be better.

Another option is to simply use a 9-speed Shimano/-compatible cassette & forego the 10th "speed" ...

Making this way too hard and expensive. The Campagnolo freehub body is cheap(about $55) and takes 10 minutes to install, WITH a freehub overhaul and oiling. Plus very easy to find(we have 3).Wheels cogsets DO work well but are expensive.

As Rob O mentioned, shimano 10s and Campag 10s cogsets are NOT very close in spacing As a matter of fact, the ctr cog to ctr cog spacing for shimano 9s is closer to Campag 10s than shimano 10s

What Art and that Vecchio guy said: get the right stuff, i.e a Campy freehub. Getting Shimano hubs to work is hit or miss, never a guaranteed affair, and I'm not sure why someone would want to put a 9 speed cassette on a 10 speed system. After getting the right freehub, you can get Centaur or Veloce cassettes pretty cheaply.