Converting solid axle (front) to QR

Dan Burkhart

New Member
Nov 27, 2003
I was in the process of overhauling the front axle on one of my bikes when the thought struck me, I wonder if there is any reason I can't convert this to a 9mm QR. It now has the usual 3/16 bearings, I was wondering if such a conversion would require larger balls, say 7/32nds.
The dropouts are 5mm thick, no lawer lips, but I do have tab washers with a small hole, specially for QR skewers.
Is such a thing possible, or should I forget it?
Dan

Dan Burkhart writes:

> I was in the process of overhauling the front axle on one of my
> bikes when the thought struck me, I wonder if there is any reason I
> can't convert this to a 9mm QR. It now has the usual 3/16 bearings,
> I was wondering if such a conversion would require larger balls, say
> 7/32nds.

Unless you can change the bearing cups in the hub to some available
one for 7/32" bearing balls (Campagnolo etc) you cannot use larger
ones. Of course the hollow axle and cones are easy to find for 7/32".

> The dropouts are 5mm thick, no lawer lips, but I do have tab washers
> with a small hole, specially for QR skewers.
> Is such a thing possible, or should I forget it?

Try getting some new lower end QR wheels.

Jobst Brandt

Dan Burkhart wrote:
> I was in the process of overhauling the front axle on one of my bikes
> when the thought struck me, I wonder if there is any reason I can't
> convert this to a 9mm QR. It now has the usual 3/16 bearings, I was
> wondering if such a conversion would require larger balls, say 7/32nds.

Nope.If the axle is 9by1, any decent bike shop will have a hollow axle
and a QR...Put all the cones, spacers, locknuts onto hollow axle,
QR-done.