Converting std. road bike to fixed wheel?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mzagorski, Oct 15, 2003.

1. mzagorski

mzagorski New Member

Anyone able to reccomend the best / cheapest way to convert my road bike with vertical drop outs to fixed wheel. I have 39/53 rings as well as a 42t.

Thanks

Mike

Tags:

2. dorian

dorian New Member

Probably the easiest and cheapest way is to remove your cassette and replace it with a bunch of spacers and one bmx cog. You'll have to crunch the numbers for your gear ratio and chain length with your given chain rings. But that will only give you a singlespeed.

If you really want a fixed gear, you'll have to get a new rear wheel and then figure out ratios and chain length, etc.

Check out the fixed gear section on http://www.sheldonbrown.com

-Dorian

3. mikeo

mikeo New Member

I haven't tried this myself but couldn't you just squirt super glue into the freewheel ratchet?

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Does a BMX cog really fit on a standard cassette body?

5. Sid

Sid New Member

How did you go? I am trying to do the same and having difficulty finding any info.:confused:

Thanks
    Sid
    [email protected]

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Did you check the Sheldon Brown link mentioned by dorian?

7. rayner

rayner New Member

Have you got much meat in your drop outs? If so then try welding them up and filing them out into horzontals.

8. Crosser

Crosser New Member

Do like the man said..check out Sheldon Brown's website!

Vertical dropouts are difficult to set up for fix-geared because you have very little (none) space to keep the chain tight. I set a cassette hub up for single speed, exactly like the previous guy mentioned, and, yes, the Shimano BMX cassette cog slides right on. Buy a set of aluminum spacers or use some out of an old cassette

For fixed-gear you have to have a STRAIGHT CHAINLINE, be able to tighten the chain, and you cannot use any form of chain tensioning device (backward pressure on the pedals will destroy it). Horizontal dropouts are the easiest way to go, lots of old bikes out there with these on them and some new ones.

I finally had the LBS build a wheel for my bike, flip/flop hub, so i'm fixed/free, on a hoirizontal dropout frame. Excellent!