converting threaded to non threaded headset

Dennis Vaughn

Guest
I have an old bike with a threaded headset. Can I change it to a non threaded headset without buying
a new fork?

"Dennis Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have an old bike with a threaded headset. Can I change it to a non threaded headset without
> buying a new fork?

Nope. And really, there's no reason to unless you're trying to use some parts you have handy. The
difference between the two is really not that great..there's no reason to switch if you have to do
something like buy new forks. (Actually, I've done it on a hack bike but I wouldn't recommend it to
anyone..it's a messy butcher job..)

Cheers,

Scott..

I've seen a Threadless Stem Adaptor in the Nashbar catalog for $15. Here's a link to it on
their website.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=119&subcategory=1185&brand=&sku=
9755&storetype=&estoreid=

If the link doesn't work, just go to their website and do a search for Threadless Stem Adaptor.

Never used it, have opinion of it.

"Dennis Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have an old bike with a threaded headset. Can I change it to a non threaded headset without
> buying a new fork?

Dennis-<< I have an old bike with a threaded headset. Can I change it to a non threaded headset
without buying a new fork? >><BR><BR>

No, In additon to it probably being too short, a threadless stem should NOT be clamped onto the
threaded portion of a fork.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:03:12 -0400, "Dennis Vaughn" <[email protected]> may have said:

>I have an old bike with a threaded headset. Can I change it to a non threaded headset without
>buying a new fork?

If the fork has a replaceable steerer tube, and the tube is still available as a spare part, then
yes, you can.

If not, then no. The threadless headset precludes the use of a quill-type stem, and there's not
enough of the threaded tube present to clamp a threadless stem on to. Even if the threaded section
was long enough, it won't work because the threaded section still isn't suitable for the threadless
stem to get a grip on.

If what you really want is the option of using a threadless-style stem on a threaded-headset fork,
there are what amounts to stemless quills available that you can use as a place to clamp a
threadless stem.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> No, In additon to it probably being too short, a threadless stem should NOT be clamped onto the
> threaded portion of a fork.

A related question: Are typical steel threadless steerer walls the same thickness as steel threaded?
Same internal diameter?

thanks ~PB

Pete Biggs asked:

> Are typical steel threadless steerer walls the same thickness as steel threaded? Same internal
> diameter?

Often, but don't count on it.

The first time I ever threaded a threadless fork for a customer I didn't check this, and it turned
out that the fork had a _thicker_ steerer, so it wasn't possible to put a stem into it! (This was a
steel fork.)

However, we also do a conversion of SR suspension forks to make them fit Raleigh Twenty folding
bikes. These forks have standard 1/16" wall thickness, and work just fine once threaded.

Sheldon "Sometimes Yes, Sometimes No" Brown +---------------------------------------------+
| LEARN AND MAKE BIG MONY LIKE THE PROS |
| THIRD ANNUAL NIGERIAN EMAIL CONFERENCE: |
| http://j-walk.com/blog/docs/conference.htm |

Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

Pete Biggs asked: