converting to a fixed

catch

Jul 7, 2004
How easy is it to convert my road bike to a fixed for road riding - can i just purchase a rear hub fixed system and adjust the chain length or is it just not possible. If it is possible where can I get the equipment I need - is it readily available on the web?

Would be keen to have a fixed as a low maintenance winter bike.

catch said:
How easy is it to convert my road bike to a fixed for road riding - can i just purchase a rear hub fixed system and adjust the chain length or is it just not possible. If it is possible where can I get the equipment I need - is it readily available on the web?

Would be keen to have a fixed as a low maintenance winter bike.

First you need to make sure you frame is right type to accept the rear wheel. The rear wheel fork has to have a long enough slot to adjust the chain tension. I found an old Raleigh frame for my fixed.gear bike. Next I had a local bike shop make up my rear wheel, the hup I bought has real good bearing in it. (Cost $150.00) Also it depends what size of tires you be using which will effect,finding the right brake for the system that matches. I went with 700c which took a longer brake frame. After that you need to know the right gear ratio, I'm running a 48 tooth front sprocket and 18 tooth rear. Where I live and commute I have a number of hills so thats why I ride 18 in the rear. So far my ride is great. Good luck I know you will love it I do.

The previous post is quite right. Ideally, you need a frame with the older syle horizontal drop-outs on the rear so that the chain tension can be adjusted by sliding the wheel back and forth slightly. And then you need a rear wheel with a fixed gear hub and a sprocket. The consummate reference for converting a derailleur bike to a "fixie" is the web site of Sheldon Brown - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed/. Mr. Brown, aka Capt Bike, wrote a tech column in Bicycling magazine back in the 70s. He is a big fan of fixed gear riding and offers some excellent instruction and advice on conversions. He works out of a shop in Boston, Harris Cyclery, which is a good source for fixed gear parts - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed/. I have also been able to find a lot of fixed gear parts on ebay.

You can have a look at some photos of a large number of fixed gear machines at http://www.fixedgeargallery.com. Mine is #208. I got my first rear wheel with a fixed/free hub on ebay and the rest of the small piece parts from Harris. Since then I have built another, better wheel from ebay parts. I really enjoy fixed gear riding. From October to February, I hardly ride the derailleur-equipped road bike at all.

Azulene said:
First you need to make sure you frame is right type to accept the rear wheel. The rear wheel fork has to have a long enough slot to adjust the chain tension.
Not compleetly true. You can gat a cain tensioner than screws into your derailer hanger and tensions your chain. This doesn't work as relyabley but it does open up a lot of options.