Converting to a vegetarian lifestyle

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by ambal, Nov 11, 2012.

1. ambal

ambal Active Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking of dropping meat and animal products and becoming a vegetarian. Basically weight loss and improving my overall health and cycling performance is my motivation. I'm interested in hearing any comments (good/bad) from people who have tried this lifestyle adjustment. What worked for you, what didn't?

Tags:
    Ladyferoz likes this.

2. ambal

ambal Active Member

Great results so far, have lost about 5KG's and have never felt better in my life. It's funny watching guys in my training bunch hook into chicken periods on toast, whilst they talk up the benefits of the chicken period fat and protein - for cyclists they're all fat but that is another story. Do cyclists in the UK and USA believe chicken periods contain magical properties that will allow you to ride harder and faster? A bowl of in season fruit salad will do me fine thanks. :D

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What are chicken "periods"?

4. ambal

ambal Active Member

eggs http://www.peta.org/features/would-you-eat-a-chickens-period.aspx

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

There's nothing magical about eggs, but there's also naught wrong with them. They're a great source of protein, and if someone's concerned about the fat, they skip the yolks and just eat the whites. The most important thing, as is the case with a lot diets, is to consume in moderation.

6. printingray

printingray New Member

There are lots of different ways to approach a vegetarian weight loss diet. Regardless of which one you try, keep in mind that staying healthy is the end goal, not a particular number on the scale. Try not to beat yourself up over the little things. In this instant gratification society I find it a struggle to think long-term sometimes but it’s worth it!

7. David Gerchman

David Gerchman New Member

I eat 3 eggs bacon ant wheat toast every morning.

8. JSWin

JSWin Member

It's great. Weight comes off quickly. You just need to get your calories right or you will binge. Gluten and dairy free is even better. Vegan makes a huge difference. Wheat is kind of nasty the way it is made today. You just need to get enough fructose from fruit for riding that's all. Digestive is much better vegan. Vegetarians still eat dairy and cheese. This stuff gets jammed up in the colon. You will be lighter but not as much as with dairy free. Remember we are not cows.

9. Abby25

Abby25 Member

I do not know if I would be strong enough to give up my meat. But, I do love lots of vegetables and have noticed that I feel better all over when I eat a lunch of only fresh vegetables and fruits. Sometimes I have a large cold glass of V8 juice and I am amazed at how much it perks me up.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I had tried the vegetarian diet before. It's actually fruits and vegetables that made me lose weight fast. On the first week I already lost more than 3 pounds and on the second week I lost 2 pounds. However, the fruit and vegetable diet made me weak and always hungry as if my stomach is always empty. I still could go on my daily routine but I don't think it is healthy for me to ride in that condition.

11. Personablue

Personablue New Member

Jesus, that's the first time I have hear something like this. Either there is severe lack of veg items where you live or u are just being ridiculous.
    Soya bean, paneer, Broccoli, whole grains, there are so so many items that veggies can eat and stay healthy at the same time. Some items are even heavier than meat, fish etc, they do a nice job of keeping your appetite and stomach full.

12. Dilof

Dilof New Member

If you're dropping meat AND animal products wouldn't that make you a vegan? There's still a lot of things in the animal industry that are a lot worse than slaughtering animals like killing baby cows just to get their mothers milk. I'm not going to complain but I'm a pretty avid biker whilst being a vegan and the argument that vegans lack nutrients is bullshit.

13. chrislee99777

chrislee99777 Member

I'm not a real vegetarian.But I rarely eat meat in order to keep shape.Rather than pork and beef I eat more eggs and bean product to get enough protein to enable the muscle.

14. Dilof

Dilof New Member

Entirely relevant post considering the thread; damn daniel you good.

15. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Vitamin B12. there goes your argument.

16. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

I like my place at the top of the foodchain.

oportosanto likes this.
  17. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think I could be a vegetarian, but I certainly could eat more healthy...

18. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

There is nothing wrong with dramatically increasing vegetable portions and reducing meat portions. Most of us eat way to much meat to begin with. That said, I can't see being a vegetarian, or worse yet a vegan. I don't think it would be healthy or worth the hassle.

19. Ladyferoz

Ladyferoz New Member

What did not work?
    When I was younger I decided to become a vegetarian because I watched a horrifying anti-meat video on tv. It should baby piglets being thrown into a grinder while alive, the screams still haunt me sometimes.
    I was vegetarian for a few months but it was so stressful because my mom did not know what meals to prepare for me. I would eat rice and salads. I did not like vegetarian meats. I got bored of my food choices. So do not drop meat in a whim, wean yourself off it.
    Now that I am older, I try not to eat meat every day. I eat chicken twice a week or less because frankly it is near impossible to be a true vegetarian in China.

20. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

That is true, not only it's almost impossible to be a vegetarian, but we also need to eat meat. Not that chicken qualifies as meat most of the time!