Converting to a vegetarian lifestyle

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by ambal, Nov 11, 2012.

1. cyclenthusias44

Well, I don't think that it's impossible because there are many people who do it with strong determination.

2. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Sure, it's no impossible, but I am not really sure they are benefiting themselves by doing it.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

When I am on a diet, I sometimes eat just fruits and vegetables as per the suggestion of my high school chum who is a gym manager. I easily lose pounds that way. However, the downside is that I feel hungry all the time and I also feel weak as if my strength had left me. So if I would convert to pure vegetarian food then I don't think I can engage in my usual activities that includes riding. I need meat for the stamina and strength.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I've never been a vegetarian or vegan and I don't want to be either for that matter as I like eating meat. I'm well aware of why people don't eat meat, and that's their business but personally I think a humans diet needs to contain meat to get all the proteins and vitamins our bodies need.

That view won't go down well with those that are vegan or vegetarian but its just my opinion. And that's why a lot of people that have a meat free diet have to take supplements.

5. Weatherby

Weatherby Well-Known Member

I respect the efforts that Vegans make to eat as they see fit. It takes determination. I even let them criticize me for shooting my meat. Free speech. I know some people eat this way. I am not sure it is healthy, but good for them.

6. sharkantropo

sharkantropo Member

I don't think vegetarian lifestyle is healthier than a regular balanced diet based fish or chicken meat as main protein source. But anyway, is your choice nevertheless. You have a fairly wide choice among vegetables to satisfy your so much needed protein intake: grain, cereals,legume, tofu, black beans. Be prepared to make serious investments in food.

7. lisasian86

lisasian86 New Member

I'm not a vegetarian but I have recently started to try to make my diet mostly vegetable based, I eat a lot of chick peas, brown rice, spinach etc. You can make some great tasting curries just using vegetables and pulses.

8. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

This is certainly true, just because you are vegetarian doesn't mean that you are stuck with boring dishes. Indian inspired food can really give your meal that little extra push.

9. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member

I'm a nurse in the military and I can tell you being a vegetarian doesn't make you healthier or lose weight. Staying away from pork, shell fish and a lot of sweets will help you. Too much of anything is bad for you but we all know pork is the root cause of cardiovascular disease. Fun fact: Vegetables make you gain weight (green veggies to be exact). When doctors treat people with obese problems, they put them on a strict protein diet with no vegetables.

10. lisasian86

lisasian86 New Member

Also, spices, chilli, garlic and ginger are really good for you and are great for adding taste to just about anything. My mum used to vegan and she used to make lentil chilli and lentil haggis! They tasted great and were really healthy.

11. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitality New Member

Being a vegetarian can actually be very interesting. I tried it for a year and the results were astonishing. I came from a size 16 to a size 8 in a space of 5-6 months. I was lighter on my feet and getting up in the morning was no longer a drag. What I would say to those who want to become vegetarians, you need to ensure that you get the recommended amount of Vitamin B12 as a supplement because the natural version is only found in animal products.

12. rahul123

rahul123 New Member

according to me vegetarian lifestyle is more better because
    Beans are a very convenient way of getting this important nutritional building block to your bird. You can easily learn to soak and cook dry beans safely and most flocks learn to love these little gems. Other vegetables also provide nice amounts of protein. There are other high protein greens that work like beans and have other healthy nutrients along with the protein. This makes those greens a double win for your and for your bird.

http://www.environmentalaffairs.tk/human.html

13. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

I don't think you really need to switch to vegetarian lifestyle to lose weight. You can still eat chicken and maintain your weight. You gain weight when your intake of calories more. You just need to limit your calories lose weight instead of switching to a vegetarian lifestyle. Without switching to a vegetarian lifestyle, you can still maintain your overall health.

14. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

I know more than one vegetarian that is either severely overweight or suffers from lifestyle related health issues. Vegans as well. These dietary choices aren't healthier or superior, they are often a political or ethical stance, but the health claims are dubious at best.

15. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I don't think that anyone should criticize anyone else for the way they eat, but wasting food that is another ball game.

16. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

Where was wasting food even mentioned?

17. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

It wasn't but it's always good to bring it up.

18. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

Honestly, there's no reason to go vegan in order to lead a healthy lifestyle. Just pay a visit to your doctor, and he'll give you the correct dietary regiment you should be following. And you'll notice that meat and dairy products are definitely not excluded. You just consume them in moderation, and you'll be just fine.

If you're male then you're not doing yourself any favors by foregoing meat. You'll be lowering your T-levels and also reducing your physical strength over time. There's not a single vegan that can arm wrestle me, and beat me - fact!

19. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

I know a vegan body builder. I bet he could beat you easily.

20. RStewart

RStewart New Member

Just one vitamin & it's easy to supplement.