Converting to those fandagled "brifters"...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by warriorcliff77, Jul 20, 2007.

1. warriorcliff77

warriorcliff77 New Member

Greetings all,

I'm curious if i can convert my current index shifters(on the downtube), to the brake mounted shifters (STI i think?)

My bike is an old school Miele Volta 7 speed.

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

7 speed Sora is a good option, have to source them used or NOS from eBay.

3. warriorcliff77

Would 8 speed ones work, if i adjusted the deraileur properly? (7speeds on gaybay are hard to find)

4. capwater

capwater New Member

gaybay? wtf is that, mate?

Different speeds require different lengths of cable pull.

5. warriorcliff77

gaybay = ebay. Yes i understand it would require a longer cable to pull across 8 gears, but the index between each shift is the same, is it not?

6. Wayno

Wayno New Member

Get a new fandangled bike. Keep the 'old school' bike as is. New bike components are made for differnet diameter tubing etc and it will be difficult to install (not impossible)

You can get 'cheap' aluminium bikes these days with say Shimano 105 groupset

7. John M

John M New Member

Not exactly the same, but Shimano 8s indexing is close enough to 7s that it works. Plus lower speed drivetrains are much more tolerant of a little mismatch than the 9s or 10s drivetrains (particularly 10s which need to be spot-on to work quietly).

FYI, old 8s campagnolo Ergo shifter set has the exact same spacing as Shimano 7s.

8. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

I convert friction shifting bikes to index.

Normally I find I need:
    Index shifters, whatever type and speed I choose
    Index Cassette
    Index Rear Derailleur
    Index Chain
    New Cables and Casings
    Front Derailleurs seem to be less critical.

The two bikes in the Signature below were converted from 10 speed (5x2) friction to 12 speed (6x2) index.

9. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

Depends on how picky you are. 7 & 8 speed have very slightly different cable pull. Many folks claim they can mix and match 7 & 8 speed shifters etc. Personally, I've never been able to get it to work to my satisfaction.

10. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

Go to your LBS and see if they can get some 7 speed brifters for you. They may not be in stock, but the shop should be able to get some for you.

11. Skoorb

Skoorb New Member

You can also instead of calling it gaybay call it egay, just fyi.

12. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

It doesn't require a longer cable, for every click of the shifters, it moves the cable a different amount than a 7, 9 or10 speed shifter would. 7 & 8 are very close though, and you should be able to get it working fine.

13. Older&Bolder

Older&Bolder New Member

On the compatibility question...
    My old road bike has friction shifters (down tube) & and a Shimano 600 6spd "cluster". If I change to a cassette wheel, can I expect the chain to fit a 7 or 8spd cassette?

14. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

It depends on the drop-out width as to what modern wheel fits, 7 or 8/9/10 speed hub.

I had a 6 speed Huffy stretched from 123mm to 133mm, now I can fit any road 130mm 8/9/10 speed wheel or 135mm MTB wheel in the bike.

Then, its just a matter of matching the shifter and cassette, 7=7, 8=8, with a narrow chain or 9=9 with a super narrow chain.

With your 600 hub, check, you may be able to just change the freehub body to a 7 or 8/9 speed. ;)

15. Older&Bolder

Older&Bolder New Member

Thanks gclark8,
    I want to move to 700c wheels & tyres, so my question was more on the compatibility of the old chain (& chainrings) in fitting the 'pitch' of a 7 or 8s cassette. I know 9 & 10s are out because of the smaller/finer 'pitch'. But how different are 6, 7 & 8s chains (& chainrings)?

16. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

It depends on the indivdual chainring.

The pitch of a 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 speed chain is the same, the width of the chain changes with number of speeds and the side-plates with friction or index.

However, I have had no problem using 5 speed cranksets with 8 speed KMC Z51 (6/7 speed) and Z92 (8 speed) Index Chains.

If moving to Quick Release Wheels, be careful on front axle with diameters, and lengths. Rear QR axles may need to be slightly offset if using an axle mounted Rear Derailleur.

Consider returning to solid 3/8 and 5/16 axles (use axle kits) if in doubt.

If spreading the frame to accomodate the new wheel, this is for steel frames only! Not Alloy!!! :eek: