Converting triple to double

Bruce L

Dec 31, 2003
I now have DA triple gruppo. What will it take to convert to double or do I have to change completely the gruppo??????

Originally posted by Bruce L
I now have DA triple gruppo. What will it take to convert to double or do I have to change completely the gruppo??????

I recently switched from a triple 105 group to a double Ultegra group, and swapped out the rear derailleur (short cage vs. long cage), front derailleur, bottom bracket (shorter spindle length for the double), crank (obviously), and the STI levers (left hand STI only has two shifting positions vs. three), and the chain.

Hope this helps.

i beleive if you go from d/a 9spd triple to a d/a 10spd double you need everything but the rear derailleur

from d/a 9spd triple to d/a 9spd double youd need the front (lef) shift lever, front derailleur, crankset and bb

i guess you could use your old front derailleur on both if you reset the limits maybe?

Originally posted by fushman
i beleive if you go from d/a 9spd triple to a d/a 10spd double you need everything but the rear derailleur

You definitely need to swap out the rear derailleur if you go from a 9 to 10 spd.

im pretty positive the dr is alright to keep

also i thought 105 shifters were not double and triple specific

Originally posted by fushman
im pretty positive the dr is alright to keep

also i thought 105 shifters were not double and triple specific

I actually had a DA GS (triple) rear derailleur on the bike, and couldn't get it tuned in to where I wanted it when I switched to the double crank. Switching to the Ultegra double rear derailleur seemed to work loads better for me.

I think you may be correct about the 105 left lever not being 2 or three ring specific. I believe that the Dura Ace left lever is 2 and three ring specific however.

Originally posted by waterboy420
I recently switched from a triple 105 group to a double Ultegra group, and swapped out the rear derailleur (short cage vs. long cage), front derailleur, bottom bracket (shorter spindle length for the double), crank (obviously), and the STI levers (left hand STI only has two shifting positions vs. three), and the chain.

Hope this helps.
Well,you certainly did not need to switch the shifters, and the derailers were optional.

Originally posted by waterboy420
I actually had a DA GS (triple) rear derailleur on the bike, and couldn't get it tuned in to where I wanted it when I switched to the double crank. Switching to the Ultegra double rear derailleur seemed to work loads better for me.

I think you may be correct about the 105 left lever not being 2 or three ring specific. I believe that the Dura Ace left lever is 2 and three ring specific however.
With respect to the RD, you obviously did not know what you were doing.AND, FWIW, it should be obvious that if a DA front shifter will shift a triple,it is just as capable of shifting a double.

Originally posted by Bruce L
If you are talking about sticking with 9 speed, all you need is to toss the granny ring and swap the BB for a DA or ultegra 109.5 and maybe switch the FD. If you mean 10 speed double,then you will also need a minimum additional of right shifter,chain and casette.

Originally posted by boudreaux
If you are talking about sticking with 9 speed, all you need is to toss the granny ring and swap the BB for a DA or ultegra 109.5 and maybe switch the FD. If you mean 10 speed double,then you will also need a minimum additional of right shifter,chain and casette.

yay!

boudreaux didnt yell at me once!

I have DA (9 spd) triple shifters on my double. The FD stop screw limits the shifter to the two possitions.

Originally posted by temoore
I have DA (9 spd) triple shifters on my double. The FD stop screw limits the shifter to the two possitions.
Strange how that works isn't it?

boudreaux,

You suggested tossing the granny gear, and switching the bb for a 109 bb. This means that you'll be pairing a triple crank spider with a double bb (bad idea). I've done that before, and it ruined the crank spider because the splines were not fully engaged.

keanu122 said:
boudreaux,

You suggested tossing the granny gear, and switching the bb for a 109 bb. This means that you'll be pairing a triple crank spider with a double bb (bad idea). I've done that before, and it ruined the crank spider because the splines were not fully engaged.
That's BS! The splines and crank interface are the same.Operaor error hosed the crank.

boudreaux said:
That's BS! The splines and crank interface are the same.Operaor error hosed the crank.
You're right! I just checked it by putting a triple crankset on a double bottom bracket, and it works fine...I must have not have tightened the crankbolt enough originally. Let this be a lesson for everyone. Tighten those crankbolts! ;)