converting XTR top pull to top & bottom pull ?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by freddie_fandango, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. I have an old 9 speed deore front mech with a top and bottom pull assembly.
    However, I can get a cheap XTR mech but this is top pull only. Can I swap
    over the wire clamping assembly converting the XTR to top and bottom pull ?

    Thanks

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "freddie_fandango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have an old 9 speed deore front mech with a top and bottom pull

    assembly.
    > However, I can get a cheap XTR mech but this is top pull only. Can I swap
    > over the wire clamping assembly converting the XTR to top and bottom pull

    ?

    I dunno about the conversion, but XTR front mechs really only work well with
    non-compact drive (XTR) rings. You would be better served sticking with the
    XT unless you upgrade your crankset as well.

    Mike