Cookie glaze ?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Knit Chic, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Knit Chic

    Knit Chic Guest

    Thanks to Barb giving me a super rec. for cut out cookies, I just finished
    up my 15th dozen.
    They have not been frosted or glazed yet ... I'm looking for a good pourable
    glaze that does not take powdered sugar (I don't have any and can't get to
    the store)
    Anyone have one?
    thanks,

    Tags:

  2. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    Do you have any chocolate? You could make a ganache. Martha Stewart has
    one on her website that I used in December to glaze a cake that worked out
    wonderfully.

    Lynne

    "Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks to Barb giving me a super rec. for cut out cookies, I just finished
    > up my 15th dozen.
    > They have not been frosted or glazed yet ... I'm looking for a good
    > pourable
    > glaze that does not take powdered sugar (I don't have any and can't get to
    > the store)
    > Anyone have one?
    > thanks,

  3. nancree

    nancree Guest

    Knit Chic wrote:
    " I'm looking for a good pourable
    glaze that does not take powdered sugar (I don't have any and can't get
    the store) "
    ==================
    Regular sugar can be whizzed in a food processor. The result is much
    like powdered sugar. You might try a small amount and see if it works.
    Good luck, Nancree

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thanks to Barb giving me a super rec. for cut out cookies, I just finished
    > up my 15th dozen.
    > They have not been frosted or glazed yet ... I'm looking for a good pourable
    > glaze that does not take powdered sugar (I don't have any and can't get to
    > the store)
    > Anyone have one?
    > thanks,

    Can you pulverize the hell out of granulated sugar in a food processor?
    Have you got a fp? I wanna see what turns up here that doesn't have
    powdered sugar in it.

    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Shiny Cookie Glaze

    Recipe By : Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 12-14-05
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies

    2 cups powdered sugar
    4 tsp. milk
    4 tsp. corn syrup

    Mix.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : Source: CanĀ¹t remember. 1991 or 1992. Maybe from Maid of
    Scandinavia.

    ___

    When I decorated cookies with precision and sophisticated artistry (I
    made that up) there was something called Flow Icing. Just Royal Icing
    thinned to a pourable state - thickish pourable. But it's still got
    powdered sugar in it. To do the color flow (that's what the technique
    was called) stuff , pipe the outline of the cookie with the regular
    royal icing (egg white and powdered sugar and flavoring), then thin some
    out and pipe it - or spoon on carefully - in the middle so it flows onto
    the surface of the cookie. Let it dry before getting fancy. Or
    sprinkle your sprinkles on while it's wet. Due to its absorbing
    moisture from the cookie, this stuff isn't as rock hard as a decoration
    made with it would be. But you still need powdered sugar.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-13-05 - RIP, Gerri

  5. Barb replied:

    >> I'm looking for a good pourable glaze that does not take powdered sugar
    >> (I don't have any and can't get to the store)
    >> Anyone have one?
    >> thanks,

    > Can you pulverize the hell out of granulated sugar in a food processor?
    > Have you got a fp? I wanna see what turns up here that doesn't have
    > powdered sugar in it.
    >

    > * Exported from MasterCook Mac *
    >
    > Shiny Cookie Glaze
    >
    > Recipe By : Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 12-14-05
    > Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    > Categories : Cookies

    > 2 cups powdered sugar
    > 4 tsp. milk
    > 4 tsp. corn syrup
    >

    > Mix.

    When you pulverize sugar in a food processor, what you get is technically
    "superfine" sugar rather than powdered sugar. What is sold as powdered sugar
    is actually a mixture of sugar and cornstarch. If I didn't have any
    powdered sugar and I was trying to make the glaze given in the recipe above,
    I'd put two teaspoons of cornstarch in a measuring cup and then fill with
    granulated sugar to the two-cup mark. Then I'd pulverize that in a food
    processor. MAYBE it would work.

    Bob

  6. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks to Barb giving me a super rec. for cut out cookies, I just finished up
    > my 15th dozen.
    > They have not been frosted or glazed yet ... I'm looking for a good pourable
    > glaze that does not take powdered sugar (I don't have any and can't get to
    > the store)
    > Anyone have one?
    > thanks,

    Powdered sugar1 1/3 cup =Combine 1 c granulated sugar + 1 T cornstarch in
    blender and process til powdery

    Dimitri