cookie recipe (was All Clad cookie sheets)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jeneen Sommers, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. I first tried this cookie at Scharffen-Berger Chocolate
    Factory in Berkeley, CA. What I liked most about it was the
    texture. I decided to try to reproduce it but never managed
    to, and fortunately I came across the recipe in "Bittersweet", by
    Alice Medrich who owns a bakery in Berkeley.

    The point I made in an earlier post is that Silpat seems to
    inhibit crisping, and browning in general - or maybe it's
    just a particular type of browning (maillard?) - and that makes a
    difference in the flavor and texture of this cookie.

    Nibby Pecan Cookies
    48 2-inch cookies

    1 c pecan halves (other nuts are good, too)
    1/2 lb unsalted butter
    3/4 c sugar
    1/4 t salt
    4 t bourbon
    1 1/2 t vanilla
    1/2 c cocoa nibs
    2 c all-purpose flour

    Preheat oven to 325F.

    Spread the pecans on a cookie sheet. Toast them in the oven for 7 or 8
    minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool, then chop.

    Combine the butter, sugar, salt, bourbon and vanilla in a medium bowl and
    beat until smooth and creamy but not fluffy (about 1 minute with a mixer).
    Stir or beat in the pecans and cocoa nibs. Turn off the mixer if you
    are using one, and add all the flour at once. Beat on low speed to
    prevent the flour from flying out, just until the four is fully
    incorporated.

    Form the dough into a 12-inch log about 2 inches thick. Wrap the dough
    and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight (or freeze for
    up to 3 months).

    Preheat the oven to 350F.

    Slice the cold dough log into 1/4 inch-thick slices. Place the cookies
    at least 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12-14
    minutes, or until the cookies are light golden brown at the edges. Let
    the cookies firm up on the pans for about a minute before transferring
    them to a cooling rack. Cool completely. For best flavor and texture,
    store in an airtight container for at least 24 hours before serving.
    They can be stored airtight for at least 1 month.

    Note: The longer the dough is refrigerated beforehand and the longer
    the cookies are stored afterward, the more the flavor of the cocoa nibs
    permeates the cookie.

    Jeneen

    Tags:

  2. On Tue 21 Mar 2006 09:24:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeneen
    Sommers?

    > I first tried this cookie at Scharffen-Berger Chocolate
    > Factory in Berkeley, CA. What I liked most about it was the
    > texture. I decided to try to reproduce it but never managed
    > to, and fortunately I came across the recipe in "Bittersweet", by
    > Alice Medrich who owns a bakery in Berkeley.
    >
    > The point I made in an earlier post is that Silpat seems to
    > inhibit crisping, and browning in general - or maybe it's
    > just a particular type of browning (maillard?) - and that makes a
    > difference in the flavor and texture of this cookie.

    I don't have a Silpat sheet, but I would use baking parchment, and I doubt
    it would create the same problem.

    > Nibby Pecan Cookies

    These sound delicious! Copied and saved.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    BIOYA

  3. On Tue, 22 Mar 2006, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > I don't have a Silpat sheet, but I would use baking parchment, and I doubt
    > it would create the same problem.

    Yes...I don't have a problem with parchment, or with nothing at all. I
    was just mentioning it because I think Silpat works well preventing
    sticking, but at the cost of reducing browning. I really like the Silpat
    for making peanut brittle, though.

    Jeneen