Cookie variations

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Phoebe, Jul 17, 2005.

  1. Phoebe

    Phoebe Guest

    I have a really basic (and popular) from scratch chocolate chip cookie
    recipe that I sometimes like to make variations on (like using rye flour
    instead of white, or putting cocoa in it, or using smarties, or making it in
    a loaf pan as 'cookie bread') and the other day I thought I would like to
    try putting some orange juice concentrate in it, probably with cocoa as
    well. I am just not sure how orange juice would affect how it bakes, or how
    much I should try putting in. Any ideas?

    I'm going from memory so it may not be accurate but it's something like
    this:
    2 cups flour
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup butter
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder (or soda? I can never remember which)
    some vanilla
    however much chocolate chips you like (I usually use most of a small bag)

    375 (might be 350) for 8-10 minutes

    Tags:

  2. Dana

    Dana Guest

    "Phoebe" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a really basic (and popular) from scratch chocolate chip cookie
    > recipe that I sometimes like to make variations on (like using rye flour
    > instead of white, or putting cocoa in it, or using smarties, or making it

    in
    > a loaf pan as 'cookie bread') and the other day I thought I would like to
    > try putting some orange juice concentrate in it, probably with cocoa as
    > well. I am just not sure how orange juice would affect how it bakes, or

    how
    > much I should try putting in. Any ideas?
    >
    > I'm going from memory so it may not be accurate but it's something like
    > this:
    > 2 cups flour
    > 1 cup brown sugar
    > 1 cup butter
    > 2 eggs
    > 1 teaspoon salt
    > 1 teaspoon baking powder (or soda? I can never remember which)
    > some vanilla
    > however much chocolate chips you like (I usually use most of a small bag)
    >
    > 375 (might be 350) for 8-10 minutes

    Instead of orange juice concentrate, maybe you could try some freshly grated
    orange peel? It's much more simple, as you don't have to adjust the other
    ingredients and the final result is in both cases the same: a chocolate
    cookie with an orangy taste. I always make my cookies this way and they turn
    out excellent.

    Dana

  3. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Phoebe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have a really basic (and popular) from scratch chocolate chip cookie
    >recipe that I sometimes like to make variations on (like using rye flour
    >instead of white, or putting cocoa in it, or using smarties, or making it
    >in a loaf pan as 'cookie bread') and the other day I thought I would like
    >to try putting some orange juice concentrate in it, probably with cocoa as
    >well. I am just not sure how orange juice would affect how it bakes, or how
    >much I should try putting in. Any ideas?
    >
    > I'm going from memory so it may not be accurate but it's something like
    > this:
    > 2 cups flour
    > 1 cup brown sugar
    > 1 cup butter
    > 2 eggs
    > 1 teaspoon salt
    > 1 teaspoon baking powder (or soda? I can never remember which)
    > some vanilla
    > however much chocolate chips you like (I usually use most of a small bag)
    >
    > 375 (might be 350) for 8-10 minutes

    Rather than orange juice, I would use orange oil (or extract if you can't
    find oil--but bear in mind oil will give a stronger and fresher orange
    flavor) and some finely grated orange peel. Since orange oil is so much
    stronger than extract, use about 1/4 tsp to start and taste the dough. 1
    tbsp of peel should be plenty.

    kimberly