Cooking a brisket in two stages? Even 2 days

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Evan, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Evan

    Evan Guest

    Cooking a brisket in two stages? Even 2 days

    I am cook for 30 people this Sunday, and I think a brisket is the way to go. I have never cooked one
    in 2 stages, where there was any amount of time from one to the outher. Am I going to mess anything
    up? I hate experimenting for a hungry mob.

    Due to the events of the day, I only have 4 hr with the smoker on Sunday. But I can put it in
    the oven Saturday and cook for 6hr or so, or Sunday morning. Any thoughts? Doses this have an
    undesirable effect? I have moved it from the oven to the smoker before (shhh don't tell any
    one). But this Sunday, we will have an hr drive from my oven to the eating place then will light
    the smoker, so 2hr from oven to heat, so I will either need to let it cool or try to keep it
    hot. Any thoughts?

    I have done this with ribs, w/o complaints, Boil, let cool, apply rub, let set, then smoke. But a
    brisket is a bit different. Any thoughts,

    Thanks,

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    > (Evan) writes:
    >
    >Cooking a brisket in two stages? Even 2 days
    >

    >I am cook for 30 people this Sunday, and I think a brisket is the way to go.

    One brisket for 30 people... what kinda brisket is that, mastodon?

  3. EskWIRED

    EskWIRED Guest

    In rec.food.cooking, Evan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Due to the events of the day, I only have 4 hr with the smoker on Sunday. But I can put it in the
    > oven Saturday and cook for 6hr or so, or Sunday morning. Any thoughts? Doses this have an
    > undesirable effect? I have moved it from the oven to the smoker before (shhh don't tell any one).
    > But this Sunday, we will have an hr drive from my oven to the eating place then will light the
    > smoker, so 2hr from oven to heat, so I will either need to let it cool or try to keep it hot. Any
    > thoughts?

    Your best bet is to smoke it first, and then finish it in the oven. You can keep it plenty hot by
    wrapping it in plastic, then foil, and keeping in an appropriately sized cooler. It will steam
    itself if you use this method, so be careful or it will get mushy.

    > I have done this with ribs, w/o complaints, Boil, let cool, apply rub, let set, then smoke. But a
    > brisket is a bit different. Any thoughts,

    Don't boil your ribs. It removes flavor.

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  4. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Evan wrote:

    > Cooking a brisket in two stages? Even 2 days

    Cook it until it's about 90% done, wrap and fridge it. Then cook it to the regular temperature the
    next day. Works great and you won't notice a difference.

  5. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Reg [email protected]
    >
    >Evan wrote:
    >
    >> Cooking a brisket in two stages? Even 2 days
    >
    >Cook it until it's about 90% done, wrap and fridge it. Then cook it to the regular temperature the
    >next day. Works great and you won't notice a difference.

    What the frig are you mumbling about... no one eats rare brisket. DUH

    Reg, you've not ever cooked brisket... cooking brisket part way, cooling, and then continue cooking
    will ruin it.

    Brisket, regardless by which method needs to be cooked well past well done, until the colagen breaks
    down and it becomes tender (like pot roast), a thermometer won't help, ya gotta know how to fork it!
    Cook brisket until fully done (fork tender) and tehn later reheat slowly with moist heat. Even a
    corned beef brisket needs to be fully cooked all in one fell swoop. Then for delayed service can be
    reheated and held with moist heat all day, even much longer... ain'tcha ever eaten a hot corned beef
    sammich... prolly not... hey, corned turkey loaf product don't count... Reg thinks Spam on seeded
    rye is kosher deli. <G>

  6. Reg

    Reg Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    >>Reg [email protected]
    >>
    >>Evan wrote:
    >>

    >>>Cooking a brisket in two stages? Even 2 days
    >>
    >>Cook it until it's about 90% done, wrap and fridge it. Then cook it to the regular temperature the
    >>next day. Works great and you won't notice a difference.
    >

    > What the frig are you mumbling about... no one eats rare brisket. DUH
    >
    > Reg, you've not ever cooked brisket... cooking brisket part way, cooling, and then continue
    > cooking will ruin it.

    Once again penmart sticks his foot deep into his mouth.

    The guys was asking about smoking a brisket. You did see that, didn't you? He's not talking about
    pot roast.

    The normal final internal temperature for smoked brisket is in the 190-200 F range. To cook a
    brisket ahead of time, pull it out of the smoker around 180 F, wrap and fridge it. Cook the next day
    to the normal temperature (190-200 F). This works for pork butt as well.

    It's a common technique in restaurants.

  7. Reg

    Reg Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    > Evan asked about *cooking* a brisket, in two stages, and then offered several theoretical
    > possibilities, including involving oven roasting... Evan is no more sure about cooking a brisket
    > than you... at least Evan seems to know what brisket is, you obviously do not.

    Poor broken down, old penmart. He must have missed the reference to that the fact that the OP is
    cooking it in a smoker this Sunday.

    Maybe it's time he switch to the braille version of usenet?

  8. Evan

    Evan Guest

    thanks,