General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Cooking Blunders and Mishaps?

Started by Day Dreamer · · Last activity · 43 posts · 1,173 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 April 2005
Last activity
18 May 2005
Original author
Day Dreamer
Posts
43
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,173
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 43
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Day Dreamer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Aw, these are all great! Please, keep `em coming! I`m really getting a
    good chuckle!

    Me - I`m pretty good in the self-injury category - usually a burning,
    but sometimes a cutting or stabbing. I tend to commit the act of
    "drinking while cooking", (wine) hence forgetting the usefulness of
    potholders and oven mitts.

    BWAHAA! I do the same thing!
    Teri

    The last time, I leaped when my oven timer

    Quoted message said:

    went off to take out a pan of baked chicken and stuffing - grabbing it
    without potholders. Ouch!!! I got it just out of the oven and then
    dropped it upside down on the inside of the open oven door when the
    searng pain hit. BF removed the food from the oven door, and we ate it.
    But ooooh, the blisters I had on my fingers!

  2. Day Dreamer said:

    After hanging around this group for awhile, I thought it might be
    interesting and perhaps humourous to hear of the worst cooking
    blunders everyone has ever made.
    Ever completely screw up a recipe? Try to improvise and have it go
    wrong? Start a fire? Drop the food? Injure yourself?

    Bonus points if said blunder happened while cooking for a large group
    of guests!

    Not points. When my mother was out of town due to a family emergency I
    broiled hamburgers for my dad and brother. I'd watched my mom do this and
    figured how hard is this? Apparently quite difficult. The burgers were
    nicely browned on the outside and completely raw on the inside. Dad and my
    brother pretended they were good but I took one bite - oh hell no! I like
    medium-rare burgers but these were still raw, even cold inside. Nope.
    Luckily it was something I could pop back under the broiler (lowering the
    rack) and cook them until they were more palatable.

    Jill

  3. On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:34:11 -0400, [email hidden] (Day

    Dreamer) said:

    Aw, these are all great! Please, keep `em coming! I`m really getting a
    good chuckle!

    Me - I`m pretty good in the self-injury category - usually a burning,
    but sometimes a cutting or stabbing. I tend to commit the act of
    "drinking while cooking", (wine) hence forgetting the usefulness of
    potholders and oven mitts. The last time, I leaped when my oven timer
    went off to take out a pan of baked chicken and stuffing - grabbing it
    without potholders. Ouch!!! I got it just out of the oven and then
    dropped it upside down on the inside of the open oven door when the
    searng pain hit. BF removed the food from the oven door, and we ate it.
    But ooooh, the blisters I had on my fingers!

    I decided one Saturday morning that I would surprise my wife and make
    pancakes for breakfast. I got out a plastic mixing bowl and stirred up
    the pancake batter from scratch. I placed the frying pan on the
    electric cook top and decided to warm it up while putting the pancake
    ingredients away. In our little cramped kitchen at the time, there
    wasn't much counter space. So I placed the plastic mixing bowl, full
    of pancake batter, on an unheated electric burner on the cooktop. Or
    so I thought. As I was putting the milk in the fridge, I see smoke
    rising from the cook top, but not from the frying pan. It's coming
    from the bottom of the plastic mixing bowl. I grabbed the bowl off the
    burner. The bowl came away from the burner, but the bottom didn't. It
    stuck on the still heated burner and pancake batter poured everywhere
    over the cook top. I turned off the burner. After everything cooled
    down, I cleaned up the spilled batter. The bowl bottom was still fused
    to the electric coils of the burner. With nothing to lose, I turned
    the burner back on and when the plastic bowl bottom softened, I
    scraped it off with a metal spatula. When I finally got the mess
    cleaned up we had cold cereal for breakfast.

    To this day I don't like plastic mixing bowls or electric stoves.

    Rusty

    --

    "How can anyone govern a nation that | http://www.geocities.com/minuteman_missile/
    has 246 different kinds of cheese? | Minuteman ICBM History Website

    - President Charles De Gaulle of France

  4. I have two good ones--provided by my husband--blunders by his ex:
    He asked her to make stuffed chicken and she put the loaf of
    bread(plastic and all) in the chicken....(no one is that dumb, I think
    she was trying to get out of work)
    And in seasoning a pan--the directions called for using oil--she used
    WD 40, lol....now that I can believe she'd do...
    Stephanie in PA

  5. WhoGivesAF said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:
    WhoGivesAF said:

    Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:

    >I was frying up some home fries...Thought they needed some more oil.
    >So I squirted in some, from a recycled plastic bottle. I used similar
    >bottles to hold the oil and the Dish Soap, another plus was the soap
    >and the oil were close to the same colour. I didn't notice
    >immediately...but did wonder WTF when I started to get suds in my fried
    >potatoes.

    I think this belongs in "the cook is an idiot" file. Were you always
    this stupid or is it a recent development?

    Were you always this rude and obnoxious, or did it require special
    training?

    Carol

    Yes, I've always been this rude and obnoxious but only to people who
    deserve it -like the "home fries" idiot. Sooner or later they will
    probably be listed in the "darwin awards". I mean the Dish soap is near
    the sink or under it. The oil is probably somewhere else if they
    have any intelligence. They have to be a moron to have grabbed the
    wrong one.

    I guess this would be a bad time for me to mention the time I tried to
    thicken the Thanksgiving gravy with powdered sugar, huh? LOL! Dad
    had the flour and powdered sugar in identical containers. A Thanksgiving
    that will live in infamy.

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  6. "WhoGivesAF" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I've always been this rude and obnoxious but only to people who
    deserve it -like the "home fries" idiot. Sooner or later they will
    probably be listed in the "darwin awards". I mean the Dish soap is near
    the sink or under it. The oil is probably somewhere else if they
    have any intelligence. They have to be a moron to have grabbed the wrong
    one.

    This dumb story has been around for years Slightly different versions.
    Recycled bottles, partly blind, etc. The only dumb people are the ones that
    continue to believe it.

  7. Monsur Fromage du Pollet said:

    Serene wrote on 08 Apr 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    I like to recycle and I buy large bottle stuff at Costco. That said:

    I was frying up some home fries...Thought they needed some more oil.
    So I squirted in some, from a recycled plastic bottle. I used similar
    bottles to hold the oil and the Dish Soap, another plus was the soap
    and the oil were close to the same colour. I didn't notice
    immediately...but did wonder WTF when I started to get suds in my fried
    potatoes.

    I don't believe this. Dish soap is water-based and would have sizzled,
    sputtered and damn near exploded. You would have noticed immediately.

    Pastorio

  8. Day Dreamer said:

    After hanging around this group for awhile, I thought it might be
    interesting and perhaps humourous to hear of the worst cooking


    blunders

    Quoted message said:

    everyone has ever made.
    Ever completely screw up a recipe? Try to improvise and have it go
    wrong? Start a fire? Drop the food? Injure yourself?

    Bonus points if said blunder happened while cooking for a large group


    of

    Quoted message said:

    guests!

    Only bad I did was make a pumkin pie without sugar. Threw it away.

    When I worked as an undergrad, I broke a 5 L glass beaker full of pure
    ethanol, though. Man, that was a mess...

    -L.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    -L. said:
    Day Dreamer said:

    After hanging around this group for awhile, I thought it might be
    interesting and perhaps humourous to hear of the worst cooking


    blunders

    Quoted message said:

    everyone has ever made.
    Ever completely screw up a recipe? Try to improvise and have it go
    wrong? Start a fire? Drop the food? Injure yourself?

    Bonus points if said blunder happened while cooking for a large group


    of

    Quoted message said:

    guests!

    Only bad I did was make a pumkin pie without sugar. Threw it away.

    When I worked as an undergrad, I broke a 5 L glass beaker full of pure
    ethanol, though. Man, that was a mess...

    -L.

    Heh, if you want to talk lab accidents, I once tipped over a 500 ml.
    container of wrights stain onto the counter and floor.... ;-(

    My boss heard me exclaim "Oh Sh**!!!" and came out of his office to see
    what had happened. ;-) I don't normally swear at work.

    They had to strip the floor to get it cleaned up.
    I got razzed for weeks about it, until a couple of my other co-workers
    pulled similar stunts. <G>

    Other than that cabbage and sausage cassarole I made way back when I was
    first learning to cook, (it was AWful), I can't think of any major
    cooking blunders, unless you want to include stuff that's been
    undercooked (easy to fix) or overcooked, and overcooked meat gets
    recycled into meat salads. It works ok there most of the time......
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  10. In article <080420051504509756%shiver@me_timbers.com>,

    SHIVER ME TIMBERS shiver@me_timbers.com said:

    Not exactly a cooking story but many years ago in my youth and first
    marriage honey bunch and me had a Russian Wolfhound (borzoi).

    One day we had decided to try baking bread from those frozen
    supermarket dough packages and had put three of them into
    bread pans and left them by the living room window to thaw and rise.

    As you can imagine we forgot about them and actually left the house
    to go visit the neighbours for coffee.

    The dog ate all three and I go to sit up most of the night listening to
    the moans and groans coming from the dog's stomach.

    Borzois are wonderful dogs, but they have streamlining where their
    brains ought to be (as a friend of mine put it).

    Miche

    --
    WWMVD?

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Day Dreamer) said:

    Aw, these are all great! Please, keep `em coming! I`m really getting a
    good chuckle!

    Me - I`m pretty good in the self-injury category - usually a burning,
    but sometimes a cutting or stabbing. I tend to commit the act of
    "drinking while cooking", (wine) hence forgetting the usefulness of
    potholders and oven mitts. The last time, I leaped when my oven timer
    went off to take out a pan of baked chicken and stuffing - grabbing it
    without potholders. Ouch!!! I got it just out of the oven and then
    dropped it upside down on the inside of the open oven door when the
    searng pain hit. BF removed the food from the oven door, and we ate it.
    But ooooh, the blisters I had on my fingers!

    I managed to cut a small slice off the pad of my right thumb once when
    cutting up potatoes for soup.

    Miche (who has a round scar there now)

    --
    WWMVD?

  12. Miche said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Day Dreamer) said:

    Aw, these are all great! Please, keep `em coming! I`m really getting
    a good chuckle!

    Me - I`m pretty good in the self-injury category

    I managed to cut a small slice off the pad of my right thumb once when
    cutting up potatoes for soup.

    Miche (who has a round scar there now)

    Hey, my dad did that too! Had to get stitches. OUCH.

    Jill

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    I guess this would be a bad time for me to mention the time I tried to
    thicken the Thanksgiving gravy with powdered sugar, huh? LOL! Dad
    had the flour and powdered sugar in identical containers. A Thanksgiving
    that will live in infamy.

    I once tried to thicken a stew with a slurry made from water and baking
    powder. It foamed up but didn't thicken. I then realised my mistake,
    tasted the stew to see if it was OK (it was), then got out the cornflour
    (cornstarch) and thickened it properly.

    Miche (flat kitchen, improperly-labelled jars)

    --
    WWMVD?

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:
    Miche said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Day Dreamer) said:

    Aw, these are all great! Please, keep `em coming! I`m really getting
    a good chuckle!

    Me - I`m pretty good in the self-injury category

    I managed to cut a small slice off the pad of my right thumb once when
    cutting up potatoes for soup.

    Miche (who has a round scar there now)

    Hey, my dad did that too! Had to get stitches. OUCH.

    I didn't need stitches, but I now have a good understanding of the term
    "bleeding freely".

    Miche

    --
    WWMVD?

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Day Dreamer) said:

    After hanging around this group for awhile, I thought it might be
    interesting and perhaps humourous to hear of the worst cooking blunders
    everyone has ever made.
    Ever completely screw up a recipe? Try to improvise and have it go
    wrong? Start a fire? Drop the food? Injure yourself?

    Bonus points if said blunder happened while cooking for a large group of
    guests!

    As a beginner cook, I was making deep-fried eggplant beignets for the
    first time. I heated the oil too much, it took fire. Thick smoke, I
    couldn't breath. Next to the electric range, there was the lid of the
    pan and a bucket full of water. Which one would you use? I chose the
    wrong one. I poured the whole bucket of water on the burning oil. Big
    explosion! I am still scared of deep frying.

    Mite
    http://www.shopncook.com

  16. Day Dreamer said:

    After hanging around this group for awhile, I thought it might be
    interesting and perhaps humourous to hear of the worst cooking blunders
    everyone has ever made.
    Ever completely screw up a recipe? Try to improvise and have it go
    wrong? Start a fire? Drop the food? Injure yourself?

    Bonus points if said blunder happened while cooking for a large group of
    guests!

    Many years ago trying to invent a recipe with whole grain rice & swiss
    cheese. A gluggy mess.

    gtoomey

  17. Day Dreamer said:

    After hanging around this group for awhile, I thought it might be
    interesting and perhaps humourous to hear of the worst cooking


    blunders

    Quoted message said:

    everyone has ever made.
    Ever completely screw up a recipe? Try to improvise and have it go
    wrong? Start a fire? Drop the food? Injure yourself?

    Bonus points if said blunder happened while cooking for a large group


    of

    Quoted message said:

    guests!

    In high school I liked this cute guy, so I made Chocolate Chip cookies
    and took them to school. Sadly, I seemed to have used wayyyyyyy too
    much salt and the cookies smelled good but were inedible. Quite
    embarrassing.

    nina
    http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net

  18. "Mite" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Day Dreamer) said:

    After hanging around this group for awhile, I thought it might be
    interesting and perhaps humourous to hear of the worst cooking blunders
    everyone has ever made.
    Ever completely screw up a recipe? Try to improvise and have it go
    wrong? Start a fire? Drop the food? Injure yourself?

    Bonus points if said blunder happened while cooking for a large group of
    guests!

    As a beginner cook, I was making deep-fried eggplant beignets for the
    first time. I heated the oil too much, it took fire. Thick smoke, I
    couldn't breath. Next to the electric range, there was the lid of the
    pan and a bucket full of water. Which one would you use? I chose the
    wrong one. I poured the whole bucket of water on the burning oil. Big
    explosion! I am still scared of deep frying.

    Mite
    http://www.shopncook.com


    =================

    Whoa!! That IS scary! I hope you weren't hurt... <shudder> that sounds
    like an awful, awful experience.

    Cyndi

  19. In article <5nR5e.7556$ox3.2431@trnddc03>,

    Rick & Cyndi said:

    "Mite" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Day Dreamer) said:

    After hanging around this group for awhile, I thought it might be
    interesting and perhaps humourous to hear of the worst cooking blunders
    everyone has ever made.
    Ever completely screw up a recipe? Try to improvise and have it go
    wrong? Start a fire? Drop the food? Injure yourself?

    Bonus points if said blunder happened while cooking for a large group of
    guests!

    As a beginner cook, I was making deep-fried eggplant beignets for the
    first time. I heated the oil too much, it took fire. Thick smoke, I
    couldn't breath. Next to the electric range, there was the lid of the
    pan and a bucket full of water. Which one would you use? I chose the
    wrong one. I poured the whole bucket of water on the burning oil. Big
    explosion! I am still scared of deep frying.

    Mite
    http://www.shopncook.com


    =================

    Whoa!! That IS scary! I hope you weren't hurt... <shudder> that sounds
    like an awful, awful experience.

    Cyndi

    I escaped with just small superficial burns where I was hit by oil
    droplets. I was lucky. It could have been much worse.

    Mite
    http://www.shopncook.com

  20. -L. said:

    Only bad I did was make a pumkin pie without sugar. Threw it away.

    My dad and stepmom don't do sugar or flour. I make them a sugar-free,
    crustless pumpkin pie at family gatherings, and they love it. I have to
    make them each one of their own, and a third one for me.

    serene
    --
    http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
    http://www.jhuger.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.