Cooking Classes in DC Area?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 16, 2005.

  1. I wanted to present a 1/2 day to one day cooking class + meal as a
    birthday present to someone in the Washington DC Area. Any tips on
    where to search would be most appreciated.

    J.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Romfh

    Pete Romfh Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I wanted to present a 1/2 day to one day cooking class +
    > meal as a birthday present to someone in the Washington
    > DC Area. Any tips on where to search would be most
    > appreciated.
    >
    > J.

    Take a look at http://cookforfun.shawguides.com
    There are others but Shaw's is probably the biggest list around.

    --
    Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
    promfh at hal dash pc dot org

  3. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I wanted to present a 1/2 day to one day cooking class + meal as a
    > birthday present to someone in the Washington DC Area. Any tips on
    > where to search would be most appreciated.
    >
    > J.

    Nice idea! My mother-in-law has taken a few classes at L'Academie de
    Cuisine and has enjoyed it tremendously. I've looked at their class
    offerings before and have noticed that many of them are 2-3 hours long
    (including eating the meal). There are participation classes as well as
    demonstration classes.

    http://www.lacademie.com/Recreational/Welcome/index.asp

    Both of my in-laws have been to several demonstrations/meals at L'Auberge
    Chez Francois, in Great Falls, VA (outside of DC). Although these demos are
    not participatory, my in-laws say they are *lots* of fun. The food at Chez
    Francois is excellent -- I've eaten there many times and also have Chef
    Jacques Haeringer's cookbook _Two for Tonight_. I would expect whatever he
    prepares in his demos to be nothing less than stellar.

    http://chefjacques.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CJ&Product_Code=CDW0501

    The Washington Post Food section lists area cooking classes once or twice a
    year. For some reason, I can only find the list from 2003 (link below).
    I'm sure some of the links are outdated, but it's a starting point. And the
    Judy Harris link is one I stumbled across -- I know nothing about her or her
    classes.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A46599-2003Aug26&notFound=true

    http://www.judyharris.com/

  4. [email protected] writes:

    > I wanted to present a 1/2 day to one day cooking class + meal as a
    > birthday present to someone in the Washington DC Area. Any tips on
    > where to search would be most appreciated.

    L'Academie de Cuisine does classes, both demonstration and hands-on; I
    prefer the latter. The best class I've had there has been a
    full-weekend "primary skills" class; I thought I was pretty confident
    but had to unlearn a bunch of bad habits. You get to eat at all the
    classes, hands-on or demo. They have beginner to advanced classes, as
    well as professional training programs.

    L'Academie also has weekend classes at the historic Mercersburg Inn,
    in PA a couple times a year. Quite good, but not for the
    inexperienced or thin-skinned -- it's pretty intense. Also probably a
    bunch more expensive than you're planning.

    Roberto Donna's classes at Laboratorio are excellent -- he's quite
    personable, friendly, a good teacher. Cooking in this kitchen is
    quite a treat. It helps to be a fairly confident cook because his
    class recipes bear little resemblance to what you'll really be doing
    -- but that's the fun of it: cook with what's fresh, improvise where
    you need to, cook until done :). Some classes are during the day,
    for a bit more cost there are equivalent evening courses. You eat
    what you make and they serve wine with.

    Other restaurants, like Tosca, do classes but I haven't been to them yet.

    Sur La Table in Pentagon Row also has classes. Their catalog makes
    them sound similar to L'Academie's. I'm looking forward to taking a
    couple classes there soon but haven't been yet.