Cooking Ham

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jack Allen, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Jack Allen

    Jack Allen Guest

    How do you determine how long to cook a ham?

    Tags:

  2. "Jack Allen" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:p[email protected]:

    > How do you determine how long to cook a ham?

    Is the ham smoked and/or cured (pre cooked) or is it a whole ham that is
    not cured or smoked?

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  3. "Jack Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > How do you determine how long to cook a ham?

    You want to bring it to about 140 degrees. Instructions are usually on the
    label.

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Jack Allen wrote:
    > How do you determine how long to cook a ham?

    Which type and weight.

    Sheldon

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:00:26 -0400, Jack Allen wrote:

    > How do you determine how long to cook a ham?

    Just a guess, bvut I'd look at the label. There are many
    different kinds of "ham".

    -sw

  6. Read the label, then buy an electronic thermometer/timer, the type that
    a probe is inserted into the ham, and the connected timing unit sits on
    top of the range. It's worth the expense.

    Set the timer at the recommended temperature, turn the oven on to 325
    degrees, no higher.

    If you're using a glaze, watch the display on the timer and add the
    glaze at about 10-20 degrees before the recommended temperature has
    been reached. (It'll vary according to your taste preferences).

    When the temperature is reached, take it out and let it rest for 30
    minutes before slicing.