Cooking two pans of lasagna

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by News.TheRamp.net, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a pasta
    Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same time. Anything
    special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake for 1 hour at temp,
    anything to do different if I bake two at the same time?
    Thanks Jerry

    Tags:

  2. News.TheRamp.net wrote:
    > I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a pasta
    > Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same time. Anything
    > special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake for 1 hour at temp,
    > anything to do different if I bake two at the same time?
    > Thanks Jerry

    you might need to cook them for a little longer, or not. :)

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  3. aem

    aem Guest

    News.TheRamp.net wrote:
    > I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a pasta
    > Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same time. Anything
    > special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake for 1 hour at temp,
    > anything to do different if I bake two at the same time?

    The only thing I can think of is that if the pans don't fit on the same
    shelf they will bake at slightly different temps (higher shelf hotter),
    so you might want to reverse their positions halfway through. -aem

  4. djs0302

    djs0302 Guest

    News.TheRamp.net wrote:
    > I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a pasta
    > Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same time. Anything
    > special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake for 1 hour at temp,
    > anything to do different if I bake two at the same time?
    > Thanks Jerry

    Time and temperature should be the same whether you bake 1 or 2 pans of
    lasagna. I would try to put them on the same rack though. If you
    can't then you may want to switch them around about halfway through the
    cooking time.

  5. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    "News.TheRamp.net" wrote:

    > I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a pasta
    > Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same time. Anything
    > special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake for 1 hour at temp,
    > anything to do different if I bake two at the same time?

    It should not take any longer than it would take for one tray, provided that
    the trays are roughly the same dimension. There may be a slight increase in
    the time that you oven burner is on to maintain the temperature, but it is not
    like a large roast where it takes longer for the heat to penetrate the flesh.

  6. "News.TheRamp.net" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a
    > pasta Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same
    > time. Anything special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake
    > for 1 hour at temp, anything to do different if I bake two at the same
    > time?
    > Thanks Jerry

    It depends on your oven. Do you have racks in the oven or 2 separate
    ovens? If using 2 separate ovens just back at 350 for about an hour. I
    cover mine and remove the foil the last 15 minutes of baking.

    If you are using one oven with racks, rotate the lasagne pans every so
    often, especially when browning the last 15 minutes. If the top pan is
    getting too brown, move it to the bottom rack and move the one on the
    bottom rack to the top rack.

    I am cursed with a single oven so I have to do roataion if making more than
    one pan of lasagne. It seems to work fine.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  7. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    News.TheRamp.net wrote:

    > I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a pasta
    > Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same time. Anything
    > special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake for 1 hour at temp,
    > anything to do different if I bake two at the same time?
    > Thanks Jerry

    It depends on your oven. Ideally, it will take the same amount of time
    as cooking just one, but you should switch them once halfway thru if
    they are on different oven racks.

    The first time tou try it, you'll need to watch them closer than you
    would just one pan because the hot air will not circulate as well --
    they may cook too fast on the bottom and try to burn. I would probably
    turn the oven down 25 or 50 degrees and expect them to take an extra 1/2
    hour.

    You can ignore all of this if it's a "convection oven"; turn on the
    little fan and cook as normal.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  8. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "News.TheRamp.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a pasta
    > Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same time. Anything
    > special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake for 1 hour at temp,
    > anything to do different if I bake two at the same time?
    > Thanks Jerry

    Probably bake a bit longer. Switch the pan positions once or twice, and
    rotate them a few times.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  9. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > News.TheRamp.net wrote:
    >> I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a pasta
    >> Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same time.
    >> Anything
    >> special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake for 1 hour at temp,
    >> anything to do different if I bake two at the same time?

    > The only thing I can think of is that if the pans don't fit on the same
    > shelf they will bake at slightly different temps (higher shelf hotter),
    > so you might want to reverse their positions halfway through. -aem

    If you have convection in your oven, would that take care of the circulation
    problem?
    Dee Dee

  10. jacqui{JB}

    jacqui{JB} Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > The only thing I can think of is that if the pans don't
    > > fit on the same shelf they will bake at slightly different
    > > temps (higher shelf hotter), so you might want to reverse
    > > their positions halfway through.

    > If you have convection in your oven, would that take
    > care of the circulation problem?

    It's *supposed* to, but I find my convection oven still has hot areas (the
    front and back of the shelf where the air "wraps around"). If I were
    cooking two pans of lasagna, I'd at least rotate the pans 180 degrees about
    halfway through cooking.

    I don't know if this is a common problem with convection ovens or just this
    particular model.
    -j

  11. Pan Ohco

    Pan Ohco Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:46:24 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

    >"News.TheRamp.net" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm fixing Christmas dinner for my family this year. We're having a pasta
    >> Christmas. I'm baking two large pans of lasagna at the same time. Anything
    >> special to watch out for? One pan is supposed to bake for 1 hour at temp,
    >> anything to do different if I bake two at the same time?
    >>

    >It should not take any longer than it would take for one tray, provided that
    >the trays are roughly the same dimension. There may be a slight increase in
    >the time that you oven burner is on to maintain the temperature, but it is not
    >like a large roast where it takes longer for the heat to penetrate the flesh.

    If you do not use uncooked pasta in your lasagna, you are just warming
    it up. Put both pans in the oven, until warm. ( I go for when the
    cheese throughout is bubbling. Of course I use a glass pan.)

  12. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    Regardless of how you go about cooking the two pans of lasagna, i'd
    suggest using an instant-read thermometer to ensure the internal temps.
    remain consistant and rotate or relocate as needed. Kev