Cooking with Kaede: Mexican Stir-fry Salad (or something to that effect) Recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kaede Nakao, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. Kaede Nakao

    Kaede Nakao Guest

    Mexican food! Yum! But low carb???? I'll let you decide.

    Tonight is a cold, chilly night with rain on the way for tomorrow.
    This is the kind of weather for something warm and delicious and fiery
    to the tongue. I made this up - it took about 10-15 minutes
    altogether.

    garlic - fresh, dried, whatever
    3/4 cup carnitas, chopped
    chipotle powder to taste
    2 small yellow and red peppers
    Chopped green onions
    A squeeze of lemon or lime juice (fresh)
    1/2 Hass avocado
    Grated jack cheese

    In a saute pan, put in 1-2 T. oil; heat. Add garlic, stir quickly in,
    and then add the diced carnitas. Sprinkle with chipotle powder to
    taste, continue to stir-fry. When meat is warmed and a bit browned,
    throw in the chopped peppers and the green onion. Stir fry briefly
    till warm. Turn off heat. Squeeze some fresh lemon or lime juice on,
    stir in and let heat from pan mix it together.

    Remove from heat. Put on plate with chopped avocado. Sprinkle with
    the shredded cheese. Mix together, letting cheese melt a bit.

    Devour.

    Recipe copyright Kaede Nakao.

    Kaede

    176.5 / 169 / 115
    LC since 2/20/05
    http://knakao.blogspot.com/

    Tags:

  2. Nicky

    Nicky Guest

    <Kaede Nakao> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mexican food! Yum! But low carb???? I'll let you decide.

    Kaede, this looks great - but could you translate carnitas into a UK
    equivalent for me?

    Thanks,

    Nicky.

    --
    A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 Weight 95/77/72Kg
    1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

  3. Kaede Nakao

    Kaede Nakao Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:03:54 -0000, "Nicky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><Kaede Nakao> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Mexican food! Yum! But low carb???? I'll let you decide.

    >Kaede, this looks great - but could you translate carnitas into a UK
    >equivalent for me?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Nicky.

    Hi Nicky,

    Here are some recipes from the web. I have used the one below (Dos XX
    one), and have made others using a recipe very similar to the last.
    Let me know how it works for you! Nice and quick once everything is
    done, and the meat lasts well.

    recipe from http://www.recipezaar.com/111295

    Z Tejas Dos XX's Pork Carnitas #111295
    From the Phoenix Arizona newspaper courtesy of Chef Marc Janiec of
    Z'Tejas Grill
    6 lbs pork butt, cut into 2 inch cubes
    1 1/2 quarts water
    1 quart orange juice
    3 (12 ounces) bottles Dos XX beer
    1/4 cup achiote powder or paprika
    4 ancho chilies, stems removed
    6 bay leaves
    3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1 lb white onions, chopped

    Change to: servings US Metric
    1 hour 45 minutes 1 hr 15 mins prep

    1. Place the pork, water, orange juice, achiote, beer, bay leaves,
    ancho chilies, onion and garlic in a large roasting pan.
    2. Place pan over low heat; cook about 1 hour or just until the
    meat is about to fall apart.
    3. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat to a sheet pan; let cool
    slightly.
    4. Drain the juices from the pork; reserve for later use.
    5. Discard the onions and remaining solids in the roasting pan.
    6. In a large saucepan, heat corn oil to about 350 degrees
    (Caution: Make sure there is at least 6 inches of room between the top
    of the pan and the oil, otherwise, the oil could boil over).
    7. Being careful not to burn the meat, slowly and carefully add the
    chunks of meat to the hot oil; fry until crispy.
    8. Using a slotted spoon, place the meat in the reserved sauce.
    9. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook in a 300-degree oven
    for 30 minutes.

    Obviously, makes a ton. I have used prepared carnitas for the recipe
    I posted, but his is kind of what it is. Every recipe can be
    different. Google recipe+carnitas and you can find oodles. I have
    enjoyed this one.

    Here is another from http://www.justslowcooking.com/slo-0014114.html

    Mexican Carnitas

    1 pound lean boneless pork -- cut in small cubes
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
    1/2 teaspoon season salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

    serves 3 to 4

    Place green beans in slow cooker. Top with onion, pimiento, seasoned
    salt and pepper; add cubed pork. Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 9
    hours.

    Double recipe for 5 quart slow cooker.

    And another:

    2 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder
    1 tablespoon chopped coriander (cilantro)
    1 tablespoon cumin (comino)
    2 bay leaves
    1 onion, quartered
    Chili sauce, such as Pico de gallo, chipotle or whatever you like

    Pre-cooking: Cut the pork meat in chunks and discard big pieces of
    fat, leave some fat as it adds to the flavor. Chop the cilantro if you
    need to.

    Cooking: Set tall frying pan over mid-high heat. Add the pork,
    cilantro, cumin, onion and broth. If necessary, add water so that the
    meat is covered. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for
    about 3-4 hours or until the meat is very soft and pulls apart easily.
    Remove the meat and place it in a roasting pan, discarding the onion
    and broth, break apart the meat in smaller chunks. Bake for about 20
    minutes at 450 degrees F, until the meat is brown and crispy.

    I think you see it can be a kind of kitchen sink recipe! I love
    comino, bay and coriander; oregano can also be added.

    Kaede

    176.5 / 169 / 115
    LC since 2/20/05
    http://knakao.blogspot.com/

  4. Kaede Nakao

    Kaede Nakao Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:57:08 -0800, Kaede Nakao <> wrote:

> [...]

    >1 onion, quartered
    >Chili sauce, such as Pico de gallo, chipotle or whatever you like
    >
    >Pre-cooking: Cut the pork meat in chunks and discard big pieces of
    >fat, leave some fat as it adds to the flavor. Chop the cilantro if you
    >need to.
    >
    >Cooking: Set tall frying pan over mid-high heat. Add the pork,
    >cilantro, cumin, onion and broth. If necessary, add water so that the
    >meat is covered. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for
    >about 3-4 hours or until the meat is very soft and pulls apart easily.
    >Remove the meat and place it in a roasting pan, discarding the onion
    >and broth, break apart the meat in smaller chunks. Bake for about 20
    >minutes at 450 degrees F, until the meat is brown and crispy.
    >
    >I think you see it can be a kind of kitchen sink recipe! I love
    >comino, bay and coriander; oregano can also be added.

    Second recipes - omit the beans!
    Kaede

    176.5 / 169 / 115
    LC since 2/20/05
    http://knakao.blogspot.com/

  5. Nicky

    Nicky Guest

    <Kaede Nakao> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:57:08 -0800, Kaede Nakao <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:03:54 -0000, "Nicky"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>><Kaede Nakao> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>>Kaede, this looks great - but could you translate carnitas into a UK
    >>>equivalent for me?

    >>Here are some recipes from the web.

    Aha! I get the idea, thanks.

    Nicky.