cooks river (sydney) cycleway?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by robalert, Apr 16, 2007.

1. robalert

robalert New Member

I heard that they were considering banning bikes off the shared path that runs along Cooks river because of the complaints they were getting from pedestrians

Is this true?

This would be a great loss to recreational cyclists. It is flat, user friendly and apart from the stoopid peds who walk 4 across and various pets, it is great path for begineers.

Can anyone enlighten me? I was planning to take a few friends on it on Anzac Day

Tags:

2. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

No idea about that.

Personally I loathe shared pathways for the very reason that you have to dodge deaf pedestrians, small dogs and unrestrained children. They are the worst place to take a beginner because you really need to be on the ball to survive the mobile obstacle course, unless you go very early in the morning when the idiots are still in bed.

3. robalert

robalert New Member

i understand where you are coming from, but losing this cycleway means losing a crucial link to the south

shared pathways can be made more effective by splitting pedestrians and cyclist or widening the path. my experience is this path is nowhere near as bad as bicentenial park on a weekend

4. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

That path was origionally built for cycling purposes.

The split paths at iron cove bay don't work, the pedrestrians are evenly spread between the predestrain only path and the bicycle only path.

5. nerdag

nerdag New Member

That has certainly been my experience - its particularly bad at Parramatta park.

Even though paths may be marked separately as bicycle/pedestrian, walkers will still insist on using cycle path to walk.

n

6. sogood

sogood New Member

Cook River Cycleway is such an important infrastructure for cyclists that I doubt that it can be overturned.

I guess another way to look at the divided path issue is that some cyclists prefer to ride on pedestrian path on regular roads. The only way out is through education and some accommodation by both parties.

7. biker jk

biker jk New Member

Education is key. I ride the Cooks River cycle path regularly and have been abused by pedestrians for cycling on the path. Apart from more signs saying its a shared path, the councils should paint cycling signs on the paths. I emailed Marrickville Council suggesting more signs and asking for better education (pedestrians walking on the right hand side of the path is a huge problem) and received no reply at all.

8. sogood

sogood New Member

Try acting through MassBug as well as through personal letters.

9. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

Go and visit the council and express that you feel that safety could be improved with increased signage. Be polite.

10. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

I would not be too worried.

It would be like banning ducks from swimming. Stupid and unenforcable. Besides, it runs through many councils (Strathfield, Burwood, Canterbury, Marrickville and others) - imagine them all actually agreeing on something.

Scotty

11. thomas_cho

thomas_cho New Member

Thats sad. I ride on bike paths a lot in Canberra, and sometimes I get abused for "scaring" pedestrians simply because I warn them of my presence by saying "Bike right/left". Hmm ... would they rather I run them down?

I have ridden on Cooks River cycle path, and it would be a shame to legally ban cyclists from this path.

Riding on shared paths does mean watching out for the pedestrians, children, prams, kiddies on bikes ... so its not really a place for high speed training. I slow down almost to a crawl when I see kids, I'd just hate to crash into them and hurt them.

12. sloanranger

sloanranger New Member

That is sad.But an insane friend and I ride the cooks river at midnight.Mostly to have coffee at the coffee house that gets your order wrong(another story).

As for people using the paths to walk etc they are thick, we have bells and we ring them whislt coming along they stop glare and do not move.

In fact BARRY WHITE moved more in he's concerts !
    Damn right.

Ah yes the fridge magnets are in stock !

13. geoffs

geoffs New Member

This is a furfy.
    My brother-in-law sits on one of the committee's for the earlwood section of the cooks river and hasn't heard of this.
    I avoid the path most of the time, but it does come in handy when riding home from my sisters after to much to drink. It's amazing how narrow the path gets at the squeeze point under Canterbury road after to much Kalima Shiraz.

So what coffee shop is open at midnight?? sounds like a great idea

Cheers

Geoff

14. sloanranger

sloanranger New Member

Hi Geoff,

The coffee shop that is open at midnight is called Corelli's at newtown.
    We are doing a ride tonight.
    West ryde to meadowbank - homebush-cooks river- tempe- coffee shop and back.
    I imagine it to be icy cold.

15. j.r.hawkins

j.r.hawkins New Member

That would be the classic startle response. When frightened by something you tend to tense up and freeze and focus on the threat.

Most commonly seen in motor accidents where on a straight road with a single tree and clear scrub or paddocks for hundreds of metres either side, the tree tends to attact the most horrendous crashes.

Also seen in mountain biking when you see a big rock on the trail that you don't want to hit... :eek:

16. geoffs

geoffs New Member

How was the ride? I ended up at Sam's Cafe in Croydon having dinner with some friends. I'll try Corelli's another night

Cheers

Geoff

17. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

Whats the address for Corelli's ?

18. sloanranger

sloanranger New Member

I did forget to mention these people are mostly walking towards me.......

19. skinnygreg

skinnygreg New Member

Just wondering if the Cooks River Cycleway closure rumours started from the section on the bay near the Cooks River that will be closed for the next couple of years due to some pipes being built for a certain desalination plant...

PS Have a friend who used to get very good service at Corelli's (and most other coffee shops on King St). The wonders of feminine wiles.

20. geoffs

geoffs New Member

mmm
    I wonder who you might be talking about??
    So where is Corelli's?

Cheers

Geoff