Cool/Cold/Rainy Weather Head Gear?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jpr95, Oct 14, 2012.

1. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

What do you guys use?

Helmet cover? Would that be breathable enough if it gets warm under my helmet?

Something like a Cool Max skull cap? Do these not just wick sweat, but also keep one's cranium warm when cool (and not sweating out the top)?

For reference I normally don't ride in cooler conditions. I have a buzz cut, and with just a helmet, I am comfortable riding in rain with temps nearing 50ºF.

I have a 2-day, 120-mile ride coming up in a couple weeks, and I believe I may need to expand my cool weather gear a bit--I have sufficient layers to keep my legs and upper body warm, just looking to better protect my scalp and ears if it gets any cooler than that 50ºF mark (rode a century a year ago in the low 50s with rain for 3/4 of the day and was fine while riding, but a touch cool whilst at the SAG stops).

Thanks!

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I wear one of my SweatVac Ventilator skull caps until the temps get down to 40° to °45°. Below that I wear a waterproof breathable skull cap whose manufacturer I can't remember. For rain, I'd suggest keeping a disposable plastic shower cap in one of your pockets, just like this lady has: [​IMG] Yeah, it's not breathable, but in downpour or drizzle it does the job and keep the rain off the melon.

3. jesmith09

jesmith09 New Member

Something like http://www.solocc.com/accessories/41-possum-fur-merino-beanie is a pretty good option. Wool keeps your head warm when it gets wet, and it actually regulates temps well. Helmet covers, I find, retain too much heat, and do so uncomfortably. I'l wear a skull cap. You might like this too http://www.windstopper.com/remote/Satellite/activities/women-cycling-road/hats/4/1/1313880912044.

4. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Earlier year I've just taped the front vents shut when autumn came along, but when I ran out of 2" wide transparent tape it just got too darn ugly. Helmet cap it is. Breathability isn't much of an issue, if I ride hard, I always get sweaty anyhow. I use a pair of ear warmers/earmuffs-the flat and discretely black version. If it gets real bad, I add a thin cap.

5. qdc15

qdc15 Member

I use a waterproof (not breathable) helmet cover in cold rain. I always wear some kind of helmet liner, either a cotton cycling cap with bill removed or an UnderArmor skull cap. This is mostly to keep the helmet from getting funky from sweat and my greasy hair.

My headphones (never ride without them!), although they are the type that allows air and sound through, block some of the wind and hold my ears against my head which is enough to prevent frozen ears. I rarely cover my face, just tough it out.

If your sweating profusely in cold weather, head overheating, glasses fogging up, you're over dressed. Remove an insulating layer.

6. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

I'm leaning toward something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Headsweats-8807-202-Shorty-Beanie/dp/B0025UGU02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350308667&sr=8-1&keywords=coolmax+head+sweats

Do these help hold in some heat in cooler weather, or do they make it feel colder due to their wicking feature? Some ear coverage would be a bonus.

Like I said, I'm not looking for a LOT more protection--if I can do rain and 50ºF with only a helmet (no skull cap or helmet cover), I can't imagine it would take much to get me down to 35-40ºF or so.

7. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Skull caps are great for warmth but when it's actively raining I prefer a brimmed cycling cap under my helmet. The brim helps keep rain off my glasses. With just a skull cap (and I also like the SweatVac series in warmer weather) rain eventually makes the glasses worthless and they usually end up in my pocket though periodic treating the glasses with Rain-X definitely helps.

Thin synthetic or smartwool nordic beanies work great when the weather gets colder and I'll often have one in my pocket on cool days just in case but recently my favorite layer under the helmet in colder weather is this by Pactimo: http://shop.pactimo.com/unisex-cycling-skull-cap/#.UHwfaWfhf94

-Dave

8. newglove

newglove Banned

we have a Bike Gloves Full Fingers Blue ZX-073.If i wear it ,it can give me warm in the cold weather.

9. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

I'm not looking for gloves full of spam.

10. qdc15

qdc15 Member

Letting your buzz cut grow out a little bit in the winter might be a good idea.

11. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

+1, and if you are lucky enough to find one I'd recommend the Assos Rain Cap (plus it also comes in sizes if ya got an XL nogin like myself). I use my craft winstopper skully on colder days, and a regular cycling cap in the 50's but in that 40-50F zone the wind blocking (and water resistance) of the rain cap does very well. Maybe pricey but you get what you pay for.

12. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

I'm not too worried about rain in my face--I have a visor on my helmet, wear sunglasses (for which I also have some vented, clear lenses if need be), and, as of Oct 1, I have quit shaving until next spring, my fall/winter tradition.

I like my buzz cut short--cool in the summer, and when it's freshly cut, it acts like Velcro to hold a knit cap in place in the winter (off the bike). It probably won't be close-cut for this ride, though. I only cut it about once a month, and the ride will be about that time, so it will be a game-time decision, so to speak. If it looks like it will be relatively warm, it's getting peeled.

Thanks again for all your replies.

13. cobooboc

cobooboc New Member

Is the bike will be cold this? if you need bike-accessories,you can click it. http://www.obostore.com/-Discount-outdoor-sports-bike-accessories_c256.html

14. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

15. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Yeah, right.

And we all wear the same shoe size, prefer the same color schemes, use the same cadence and take our coffee the same way...

Sweating is an individual thing, some do it profusely, some do it sparingly. What applies to you do not apply to all. What works for you will not work for all.

Me, basically as soon as I get my heart rate up, I begin to sweat, end of story.
    Only times I don't sweat when working out hard is when I'm freezing bad enough to shiver pretty much the moment I stop moving. Not a preferable option.

16. qdc15

qdc15 Member

While we're all different, most people who are overdressed will benefit from shedding a layer. If you're overheating (sweating heavily is an indication) at 50 degrees Fahrenheit, you are in my humble opinion 'overdressed'. If you are sweating profusely in hot weather, there's not much you can do about it, but engaging in aerobic activity in wintertime allows one to make adjustments.

There is no shame in sweating. In fact people who engage in aerobic activities on a regular basis will typically sweat more than people who only occasionally engage in such activities. That's because one's body "learns" what it needs to do to keep itself cool and the body's cooling system works best if it's used often. In cold weather you do not need to rely on your body's ability to sweat, you can unzip.

So it is possible to wear a waterproof helmet cover in cold rain without your head overheating, by adjusting the other clothing you are wearing. Your head stays warm and dry, not hot and sweaty. It's your choice, I won't tell you what to do.

17. qdc15

qdc15 Member

Sweating in cold weather followed by shivering is symptomatic of overdressing. Isn't "No bad weather , only wrong clothing." a Swedish expression?

18. OTownRaider

OTownRaider New Member

19. qdc15

qdc15 Member

I hope you're laughing at me and not with me /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif.

One last thought. I feel miserable starting out in cold air and uncomfortable for at least ten minutes until my body warms up. Don't dress for the start, dress for ten minutes in. Cover knees for sure until it warms up later in the day.

davereo likes this.